Sequel: Bleed It Out
Status: Completed. First story I've ever finished!

Falling Into Black

Chapter 10

Katie sighed as she stared out the window at the night sky. The moon wasn’t quite full, and it wouldn’t be for another month, but it was still beautiful. You could specifically see the craters on the silver disk. The clouds were big, fluffy, and a really dark grey, with the outline being a lighter grey. Behind the clouds, the stars twinkled joyously.

Katie blinked when Sirius shifted in the hospital bed and mumbled something in his sleep before going back into his deep slumber. She looked over at him. He looked peaceful, despite the fact that he was sleeping on his broken arm. Those painkillers must be great, Katie thought, impressed. His black hair was mused over his forehead and on the white pillow, messy from sleep. He moved around a lot in his sleep, Katie had found out. Tossing and turning until he came to settle on his stomach and finally falling asleep. But then he would do it again.

Katie wondered how he ever got any sleep at night, but was distracted when he stretched his arms over his head. Katie followed the movement with her eyes, tracing his smooth, toned arms (which looked silver-gold in the moonlight). His t-shirt rode up a bit as well during the action, and Katie looked away quickly as he cheeks flamed.

“Katie? That you?” Sirius mumbled. Katie jumped, not expecting him to wake up.

“I’m here, Sirius” she whispered back, scooting her chair closer to his bedside. When she laid her hand on the bed to steady herself when she stumbled, he grabbed it within his own. Sighing, he curled around her arm until his cheek was laying on the back of her hand, and fell back asleep. Katie bit her lip as she tried to think of a way to get her hand back, but was once again distracted when she felt the slight stubble along his jaw. His cheek was warm on her cold hand.

Finally, she sighed and settled back in the chair, leaning forward to stroke his inky black hair. He mumbled something in his sleep again, and, subconsciously, kissed the back of her hand. “Stay” he whispered. Katie was sure that he was talking in his sleep, again, and dismissed it. Her eyes began to droop as exhaustion took over, and Katie felt her head hit the bed before she was out.

__________

Natalie was walking with the Marauders to the Hospital Wing when Rowan came sailing out of no where, soon followed by Merrow. Rowan landed on Natalie’s right shoulder while Merrow claimed the left.

“Wow, what are those?” Remus asked, awe-struck by the mini dragons.

“Mini-dragons, duh” Natalie said like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“They have names?” James asked. Natalie nodded.

“This one’s Rowan”—she said, pointing to the white-ish tan dragon, who chirped and flickered her tail—“and this one’s Merrow” she concluded, pointed to the black dragon, who blew a burst of orange flame. “Professor Kettleburn gave them to me. Rowan is Katie’s. Merrow’s mine.”

“Cool” James grinned. “Where can I get one?”

“You can’t” Natalie smirked. “I’m Professor Kettleburn’s favorite. He hates you, remember?”

“Yeah, remember, Prongs?” Remus smirked. “You plucked a Pegasus feather when he told you not to and you got kicked in the face.” Natalie laughed while James scowled.

“It wasn’t the face” he muttered. Natalie snickered as Peter opened the door.

“Where’s Katie?” James asked, confused. Natalie walked over to Sirius’ bed, but then froze. Katie was asleep, with her head down on his bed, and her hand under his cheek. Sirius had one of his hands on the curve of her neck while his lips were inches away from her arm.

Natalie quickly motioned for the boys to be quiet, but she was too late. James had already shouted, “Aww!”, which then caused Sirius to startle from his sleep. Lifting his head, Natalie smirked when she saw his black hair sticking up in random places.

“Morning, Sleeping Beauty” Remus snickered. Sirius started to stretch, but then must’ve realized that Katie was beside him and thought better.

“Shut up, Moony” he muttered, looking down at Katie with an almost loving gaze.

“We were coming to see if you wanted to get something from the Great Hall before class starts, but we can see that you already got something” James smirked, earning a death glare from Sirius.

“Ignore him” Natalie sighed, rolling her eyes. Taking Rowan from her shoulder, she placed her beside Katie’s elbow. “Did you sleep well?”

“Not really. Until one point where I had a dream that Katie was stroking my hair. After that, I don’t remember anything” he muttered hoarsely.

“I don’t think it was a dream” James muttered under his breath. Natalie glared at the boy, earning an innocent look back.

“Again, ignore him” Natalie sighed. “Do you want me to get her up so you can go to the Great Hall?”

“Nah, I think I can wake her up” he said. Natalie snorted.

“I doubt it, but good luck” she grinned. The four watched in amusement as Sirius first tried to gently shake Katie awake, and then harder and with a little more force. “She doesn’t wake up that way.”

“Then how does she wake up?” Sirius asked, confused. Natalie took out her wand and put up a Silencing Charm around the 6 of them.

“You might want to cover your ears” Natalie smirked. She saw Rowan disappear into Katie’s pocket and felt Merrow in hers, before she walked right up to Katie. “Wake! UP!” she screamed, causing Katie to jolt awake and nearly fall out of the chair. If it wasn’t for Sirius grabbing her elbow, she would’ve ass-planted it on the ground.

“Ow, God, Nat” she groaned, rubbing her ear. “What the hell? Why did you yell in my ear?” Removing the charm, Natalie smiled innocently.

“I did no such thing” Natalie shot back. Katie rolled her eyes, and then stretched. Her thin, slender body reminded Natalie of a cat.

“Mister Black, you are free to go” Madame Pomfrey said quickly, before going to tend to a first year who had fallen down the stairs. Or, knowing the Slytherins, pushed. As the Marauders exited the Hospital Wing, Natalie saw Sirius glance back, no doubt at Katie, before the doors shut. Katie sighed.

“Class?” Katie muttered. Natalie nodded, causing Katie to sigh. “Kay. I’ll see you later then.” With that, the blonde walked off without another word.

“I worry about that girl sometimes” Natalie sighed before she, too, walked off to class.
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay!! one Comment!! i'm soo happy!!! Just for that, i'm going to post a couple chapters!!!