Sequel: Bleed It Out
Status: Completed. First story I've ever finished!

Falling Into Black

Chapter 14

Katie was walking through the corridor, alone, and at night. Her paranoia was going crazy. Everytime she turned a corner, she swore she saw a shadow move, or when she would feel as if she were being watched, she would look behind her, she thought she saw something glowing before it disappeared.

“Come on, girl, get a hold of yourself” she hissed to herself. Inspiration struck her, and Katie quickly pulled out her wand.
“Lumos Maxima” she said quietly. Light flooded the corridor, and lit up nearly every corner. Katie frowned as she noticed that her skin was much, much darker than her normal pale skin. She stopped in front of a dusty, cracked mirror on the wall, and was shocked to see, not her own face, but someone else’s. The face in the mirror had much sharper cheek bones, and larger, fuller lips. Her hair was not blonde, but a very, very dark black. And her eyes weren’t blue, but black brown. She was Slytherin prefect, Madden Kisemo. Katie wondered why she was dreaming herself as Madden.

A distorted face appeared next to hers in the mirror, and Madden gasped as she spun around. In front of her stood a creature of nightmarish proportions. The skin of the creature was a scaly pale grey, with a bony physique. Bat-like wings extended from its back, and sharp spins sprouted from its head. Its eyes though. They were the things that struck icy fear into her heart. They were a bright blood red. It had horizontal pupils, and what would’ve been the whites of its eyes were pitch black.

The creature hissed, its lips pulling back to expose multiple rows of razor sharp teeth. Madden opened her mouth, and let out an ear-piercing scream, which echoed through the corridor until the creature covered her mouth.


“Katie! Wake up! It was just a dream!” Natalie shouted, struggling to wake her frightened friend. Katie’s eyes flew open as a choked scream passed her lips.

“Madden…Madden” Katie gasped. “The creature has Madden.” Natalie quickly pulled her friend out of bed.

“What are you looking at?” Natalie barked at the other staring girls. Natalie rushed Katie out of the room and down the staircase a ways until they came to the doorway that would lead to Professor McGonagall’s room. Natalie began pounded frantically on the door. “Professor! Professor, open up! Please, Katie had a dream about Madden being attacked!”

The door swung open to reveal a tired looking Professor McGonagall, but she was alert. “Are you sure?”

“Yes” Katie breathed, shivering despite her feverish skin. McGonagall nodded, leading the two girls out of the common room. “It was so horrible” Katie whispered.

“Shh, Kitty, it’s alright” Natalie whispered. Natalie had never been so afraid for anything in her life. Katie looked truly terrified, and every once in a while, as they walked down the corridor with only Professor McGonagall’s wand to light the path, Katie would flinch as a painting moved. Katie shivered again, leaning into Natalie’s cold hands on her cheek. When Katie blinked, she was staring up at the creature.

“Professor?” Natalie asked worriedly as a strangled whimper slipped out of Katie lips. Natalie noticed that those blue eyes were glazed, and distant.

“Almost there” McGonagall said.

“Please, don’t hurt me” Katie moaned, as if in pain.

“No one’s going to hurt you, Katie” Natalie said quickly.

Finally, after what seemed like an eternity, the three ascended the stairs to Professor Dumbledore’s office. He looked up from the paper on the desk when the door opened, curiosity in his blue eyes. “Albus? Katie had a dream of Madden being attacked” McGonagall said quickly.

“Madden Kisemo?” he asked. Katie nodded. “She had prefect duty tonight.”

“Her badge just skidded across the floor” Katie whispered.

“Minerva, wake Professor Slughorn” Dumbledore ordered. She nodded, then left quickly. “Now, Katie, can you see who it is?” he asked, walking toward the two girls.

“It’s not human” she moaned, shaking her head. “It’s not human.”

“What is it?” he pressed.

“I don’t know. But it’s so ugly.” She suddenly cried out, her arm going around her middle. Dumbledore helped Natalie guide Katie over to a chair, where she collapsed and drew he knees up to her chest. The door suddenly opened, and Sirius and James burst inside, followed by Remus, Peter, and Ben. Sirius instantly went to Katie’s side, taking her burning hand in his.

“What’s going on?” he demanded.

“She’s having a vision of an attack” Dumbledore answered.

“It’s happening now?” James asked.

“I believe so” Dumbledore sighed, before turning away to speak to the portraits of the past headmasters.

“Katie? Love? Can you hear me?” Sirius murmured.

“Make it go away, Sirius. Please” Katie whimpered, turning her face toward him. He brushed back her hair, which was sticking to her forehead.

“Just listen to my voice” he whispered. “Focus on my voice….Now picture my face with my voice.” Sirius watched as the dazed, distant look left her eyes, and the cloudiness faded. “Can you see me?” he asked. She nodded. “Good, now you keep your eyes on me. You hear me? You keep those pale blue eyes locked on mine.”

“Where’s your brother?” Natalie asked. It took Sirius a moment to realize that she was talking to Ben, but he didn’t take his eyes off Katie’s.

“Not sure” he mumbled.

“Liar” James hissed. “Where’d you get the black eye?”

“I tripped” Ben said.

“Liar!” Natalie barked. Katie flinched, her eyes darting away for a split second, but it was enough for her eyes to become unfocused again.

“Katie, look at me” Sirius ordered. Those eyes darted back toward him, but her eyes didn’t focus all the way.

“The creature’s gone” she whispered. “Professor Slughorn and Professor McGonagall got to her. They’re panicked.” She blinked, and focused on him. “I’m scared, Sirius.”

“I know, love, but you don’t need to be. I’m here for you” he whispered against her forehead.

“I’ll take it from here, Sirius” Alpha’s voice muttered. Sirius glared up at him as Katie pulled away. Alpha glared right back, until Katie looked up, then he placed a soft smile on his face. He kneeled in front of her taking her hand in his. “How are you doing, babe?” he asked gently. She swallowed hard, hating how his hands were even warmer than hers.

“I’ve been better” she murmured. Sirius stood up and backed away from the two, his heart breaking in two.

“Easy, Padfoot” James whispered, putting his hand on his friend’s shoulder. Sirius realized that his clenched fists were trembling, and that his teeth were aching from clenching his teeth.

“I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, something isn’t right about him” Natalie muttered venomously.

“I know, but Katie’s too ‘in love’ to see it” Sirius growled.

“She’s not in love” Ben said. Everyone who heard looked at him in confusion. He sighed. “Come on.” The Marauders and Natalie followed him out of Dumbledore’s office. Once in the corridor outside his office, Ben turned to the others. “What Katie is feeling is a very, very strong infatuation, which she’s confusing with love.”

“How do you know all this?” Remus asked, suspiciously.

“I can’t tell you” Ben muttered. “But, I can tell you that if she kisses him, the ‘spell’ will be permanent.”

“Spell?” Sirius demanded.

“Yes” Ben nodded. “A spell which lures a single innocent…virgin…to him.”

“Wait, wait, wait” James said quickly. “Are you saying what I think you’re saying?”

“That Alpha is what was attacking those girls?” Ben guessed. James nodded.

“So my best friend is with a creature who rapes innocent girls?” Natalie nearly screamed, before she was sprinting up the stairs. The guys followed, because the Marauders knew that she was unstable at the moment. When they entered the office, Katie and Alpha’s face were inches apart and getting closer. Rage filled Sirius, turning his vision red. A feral sound came out of his chest as he stalked toward the two, and nearly threw Alpha away.

“Sirius!” Katie yelped, shocked at the sudden violence.

“Hey, man, what’s your problem?” Alpha barked, feigning shock.

“Don’t give me that ‘pretty boy innocence’” Sirius snarled. “I know that you’re the one who attacked those girls.”

“What are you talking about?” Alpha asked, looking confused. “I was in bed the entire night.”

“Boys, boys” Dumbledore said, standing between the two boys, who were no doubt ready to beat the tar out of each other. “Now, Sirius, what is the meaning of this?” Sirius looked over at Ben, who nodded slightly.

“Ben told us that Alpha was the creature who attacked those innocent girls” Sirius stated. Alpha laughed.

“Come on, Sirius” he said, grinning. “You can’t honestly believe everything my little brother says, can you?” Sirius’ glare strengthened, until he was sure that he could kill Alpha. “Katie, baby, you don’t believe this, do you?” Something in Alpha’s eyes changed, causing them to turn a dusty red.

“No” Katie breathed, staggering toward Alpha.

“Katie” Natalie gasped. “You can’t honestly say that you can’t see his red eyes.”

“What are you talking about, Natalie?” Katie asked, not even looking toward her friend.

“What are you doing to her?” Natalie shrieked, lunging toward Alpha, who pushed Katie behind him and caught her wrists.

“Mister Centauri” Dumbledore said calmly, but with direct authority. “Release Miss McCoy.” He did, and Natalie rubbed her wrists, which had turned red. “Now, we are all tired, and in need of sleep. So, why don’t all of you head to bed?”

“But Professor—” Natalie protested, while Sirius kept his glare fixed on the grinning Alpha.

“Enough, Miss McCoy” Dumbledore interrupted peacefully. “Goodnight to all of you.” Everyone sighed, apart from Alpha, Katie, and Sirius. Alpha took Katie’s hand and led her past her friends. She didn’t even look at them; she kept her gaze on Alpha. The Marauders, defeated, left without another word; including Sirius. Natalie and Ben hung back.

“Please, Professor” Natalie pleaded to the Headmaster. “You have to do something about Alpha. He’s got Katie under some sort of spell and he’s—”

“Natalie, please” Dumbledore interrupted once more. “I know. I know all about the spell.”

“Huh?” Okay, Natalie was beyond confused.

“He’s known since the first attack” Ben murmured. “He can’t do anything to Alpha without proof.”

“Correct” Dumbledore smiled slightly. “You see, Natalie, Ben contacted me to request help on exposing his brother for what he really is.”

“Which is?” Natalie asked.

“He’s a type of demon” Ben said. “Not exactly a succubus, but close.”

“A demon? I didn’t think demons existed” Natalie said, still greatly confused.

“They’re very rare” Dumbledore said. “Alpha is what you would call a suciobus (*pronounced- sushi-o-bus. I made it up*).”

“A whah?” Natalie question, her nose crinkling like it did when she was even more confused than just confused.

“A suciobus” Ben repeated. “There are only 4 in the world. All of the Centauri family line.”

“Are you one?” Natalie asked, startled. Please say no, please say no.

“No” Ben answered. Yes, Natalie thought. “It’s only with the first born son. However, my dad wasn’t one. My great grandfather was.”

“So…3 generations after the suciobus of that generation, and your brother is one?” Natalie asked. Ben frowned for a second, trying to figure out what Natalie just said, before nodding. “Okay, so what’s the point of a suciobus?”

“Perhaps we should sit down” Dumbledore suggested, gesturing to some chairs. Natalie claimed one while Dumbledore and Ben sat across from her. “Ben, you may proceed.”

“Thank you” Ben sighed. “A suciobus is a creature who can live for hundreds of years searching for the perfect maiden to carry on the suciobus gene.”

“Katie” Natalie breathed. Ben nodded solemnly.

“Yes. Alpha has chosen Katie as his hyrokant.”

“His what?” Natalie asked quickly.

“A hyrokant is kinda like a suciobus’ soulmate, but there is no love involved. A suciobus is only capable of lust and rage” Ben said.

“So what will happen to Katie if she and Alpha…get it on?” she asked awkwardly. Ben chuckled slightly.

“It’s alright, Natalie” Dumbledore smiled. “I’ve heard worse.”

“If Katie is impregnated, she will wither away. When the offspring is born, she will die” Ben said. Natalie gasped. “But we won’t let that happened” he continued quickly. “As long as Katie is in love with Sirius, Alpha can’t fully control her.”

“You mean he can have more control over her than he does now?” Natalie asked sharply. Ben nodded slowly. She breathed deeply, rubbing her eyes. “How do we get rid of him?”

“We?” Ben asked, confused.

“Yes, we” Natalie snapped.

“Natalie, there’s no we in this” Ben stated. “It’s only me and Professor Dumbledore.”

“Look” Natalie hissed, pointing a finger in his face. “That’s my best friend we’re talking about. And all of this concerned me when Katie started going out with that bastard—pardon my language Professor.” Dumbledore nodded, looking unfazed by the curse. “So you tell me how we’re going to stop him or I’ll find a way myself.” Ben sighed as he rubbed his face and short hair.

“There is an herb called kishma (*pronounced keesh-ma. Again, I made it up*)” Ben started slowly, hesitantly. “If prepared properly, it can be poison to suciobus’.”

“Great, so where do we find it?” Natalie asked eagerly, standing.

“There’s a problem” Ben continued. “Kishma only grows once every 5 years.”

Five years?” Natalie demanded.

“But, thankfully this year is the time of their growth” Ben said as if she hadn’t said anything. “However, they only grow on Halloween, which is also the time when a suciobus’ influence on his hyrokant is the strongest. A suciobus must ingest the poison, which enables his powers useless. And the influence Alpha has on Katie will be destroyed and I can take him back to Australia where my great grandfather has prepared a prison.”

“Wait. Why would he make a prison to restrain a suciobus?” Natalie asked.

“Because normal suciobus’ don’t attack and rape other girls. But, they will rape their hyrokants if they are tired of waiting.” Ben paused. “I’m surprised Alpha hasn’t yet. He’s never been particularly patient.”

“So, we wait until the kishma blooms and then we take out Alpha?” Natalie asked. They nodded. “But Halloween is like two weeks away. What are we going to do about Alpha’s attacks in the mean time?”

“Now that he’s been seen by Professor McGonagall and Professor Slughorn, he won’t attack again” Ben answered. “But, that poses a risk to Katie. He will become sexually frustrated and aggressive, so it will be harder for him to restrain himself from her.”

“So, you and your friends must protect her” Dumbledore added. “You can’t leave them alone for even a second, Natalie. Because Alpha will take that second and turn it into the time he needs to do what he needs to do.”

“But what about—” Natalie began to ask but Ben cut her off.

“Hyrokants are always fertile for their suciobus’” he said. He leaned forward until his dark green eyes were looking straight into her hazel greens. “Natalie, you’re in too deep. If you want to get out, you can’t. Do you understand?”

“Yes” Natalie nodded. “But I’m not going anywhere. Katie’s my friend.” Ben nodded, sighing a bit.

“Very well. But you can’t let Alpha find out that you know about him. And don’t tell your friends.”

“Okay” Natalie nodded again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Info on Alpha. I made up his race and the herb to poison him, mostly because i didn't want to search the internet for something that could match him. I didn't want to use a succubus (that is the male verson, correct? I hope its not incubus instead) because from what i know (which isn't much) they don't have 'soulmates'.
Anyway, enjoy!! oh, and this is what Madden looks like: http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_l8xeX8k9lgo/SGpMCvVtKbI/AAAAAAAADok/i3ZYalEEJvQ/s400/meagan103.jpg