Sequel: Bleed It Out
Status: Completed. First story I've ever finished!

Falling Into Black

Chapter 20

Natalie woke up bright and early the next morning, which was odd considering it was Sunday. She never woke up early on the weekends. When she looked around, she noticed all the girls were still sound asleep. Even Katie. Which was even odder. Katie was always awake early, on any day. But there she was, curled up on top of the covers, surrounded by letters galore.

Natalie got out of bed, and got dressed in something comfortable. Jeans and a t-shirt. She slipped on her comfy fur boots, before creeping over to Katie. Looking at all the letters, she noticed that they were all from Mr. and Mrs. Scott. They must’ve sent them while she was with Alpha, Natalie thought, quietly picking up the letters.

Katie stirred as Natalie gently pulled a letter out of her hands. “Sorry, didn’t mean to wake you” Natalie whispered.

“I wasn’t really asleep” Katie mumbled. “Just resting.” She sat up and stretched, some of her joints cracking as they came back into place. “I have 9 letters from my parents. They’re worried about why I haven’t been mailing back. I stayed up all night reading them, and I wrote this one.” Natalie took the letter from Katie, and the blonde got under the covers.

Dear Mum and Dad,

I’m sorry I haven’t messaged you back in a while, I’ve been busy. No, not too busy to write you, but I haven’t been myself. There was this guy, named Alpha. He was a suciobus or something. Anyway, he had me under his ‘spell’ so I wasn’t myself. Natalie said that I blew everything off. Friends, homework, everything.

But he’s gone now so once I’m finished writing this, I’ll get started on my homework right away. I hope you guys are having a wonderful time in Ireland. Its honestly fine if you can’t make it home for Christmas. I want you to enjoy yourselves.

How’s the baby? If he treating you good, Mum? I can’t wait until I’m sister. When is he due again? I swear I can’t remember that for the life of me. Must be because I’m so tired. Did I mention that its nearly midnight here?

Oh, and did I mention that we had a Halloween Masquerade Ball today? Yeah. I went as an angel. Natalie went as a devil. You know the Marauders, right? Well, we’ve become great friends. It was funny seeing James go as cupid. He’s never been a romantic, and he had a pink bow and arrow. Remus was a leprechaun and Sirius was a vampire. Mum, don’t tell dad this, but I really like Sirius. He’s just so sweet, and funny. He’s so handsome too.

Well, I have to go now. I know that one letter won’t count up for 9 missed letters, and I’ll have to make-up a lot of lost time. I miss you both, and love you all.

With love,
Katie


Natalie looked at Katie, who was out cold, and then at Eos, who flapped her wings. “Can you take this to her parents?” Natalie asked the snowy owl. She screeched lightly, ruffling her white wings. Natalie quickly put the letter into an envelope and gave it to the owl. “Mr. and Mrs. Scott. Remember that.”

As the owl took off out the window, Rowan chirped on the pillow, where she was curled up next to Katie’s head. Merrow joined her. Merrow was larger than Rowan, Natalie noticed. And the contrast between their colors couldn’t be more drastic.

“What have ya’ll been eating?” Natalie asked with a small laugh. The two dragons chirped, then went to sleep, curled up together. Natalie smiled, and exited the dorm room. In the common room, Sirius was up, sitting on the couch in a way that would give him a view of the stairs.

“She up yet?” he asked. Natalie shook her head.

“She was up all night reading her pile of letters and doing her homework. I don’t think she’s going to be waking up for a while” Natalie answered. Sirius sighed, sinking into the couch. “What’s wrong?”

“I think she’s going to be mad at me” he mumbled.

“Why?”

“Because I kissed her.” Natalie blinked, and then grinned.

“Finally. I thought you never would.” She sat next to him. “So are you two a thing?”

“No. She said that she had to get Alpha out of her mind first” Sirius said quietly.

“Oh” Natalie said, now no longer smiling. “I’m sorry, Sirius. If something drastic happens to Katie, she always has to have a while to get over it.”

“My chance was stolen from me, Natalie” Sirius stated miserably. “Alpha stole my chance. Now I’ll never be with Katie. I’m doomed to love a girl that I can’t be with.”

“Don’t say that, Sirius” Natalie said sympathetically. “Alpha was her first boyfriend, or whatever he was. She doesn’t know how to act. So, like I said, she’ll need a bit to learn. But don’t worry”—she patted his shoulder—“Katie learns quick. And by at least January, she’ll be ready.”

Sirius sighed, nodding slowly. Just then, James came down, looking tired. He was in a pair of jeans and his Quidditch sweater. “I’m going to practice for a bit” he said with a yawn. “You want to come, Padfoot?”

“Sure” Sirius shrugged. “Just let me grab my broom.”

“Have fun you two” Natalie smiled. “I’ll save some breakfast for you.”

“Thanks” they chorused before Natalie walked out of the common room.

- - - - - - -

Katie woke up some time later in an empty dorm room. Groaning, she shoved her rat’s nest of blonde hair out of her eyes and sat up. Everywhere felt sore, and she had a killer headache. Maybe that was due to staying up to nearly 5:00 a.m. doing homework, but Katie wasn’t sure.

Katie had to force herself to get out of bed and get dressed in a pair of loose pants and a comfy t-shirt. As she pulled on her socks and shoes, she gathered up her homework and stuffed it in her bag. She brushed her hair in an attempt to tame it, and then pulled it into a ponytail.

Hoisting her bag over her shoulder, she left the dorm and tried not to trip as she went down the stairs. Remus, who had been sitting on the couch reading, looked up as her bag hit the ground with a loud thump. Katie muttered a few colorful words under her breath when she realized that the strap on her bag had broken.

“I have an old one you can use” Remus said, kneeling beside her.

“I’d love you forever if you’d let me use it until I can get another one” Katie said with a tired smile. He smiled back before going up to his dorm, only to come back down a few moments later. Remus, being the total sweetheart he was, helped her put her things into the bag.

“You know we don’t have classes today, right?” he asked. Katie nodded.

“I fell behind in my homework while I was with Alpha. I have to make it up” she explained. He nodded, and then picked up the bag. As she started to reach for it, he shook his head and smiled.

“Where to first?” he asked.

“Remus, I can carry my books without any help” Katie protested.

“I know. But I want to help” he shrugged. “Where to?” he asked again. She sighed.

“Potions” she answered reluctantly.

- - - - - - -

After a very long day of turning in late homework and walking up multiple stairs, Katie and Remus were outside laying under their tree. They were both enjoying the peace and quiet. The breeze was blowing lightly, ruffling the leaves in the trees and making the grass brush against their skin. It was such a peaceful day. Katie loved how she didn’t have to worry about homework or the upcoming O.W.L.s.

Unfortunately, the peace was shattered by a couple Slytherins whooping and whistling loudly. Katie sighed and sat up with Remus. Lucius Malfoy, apparently the leader of the pack of Slytherins, had his eyes fixed right on her. Lucius was a tall seventh year with long white-blonde hair pulled back in a low ponytail, cold light grey eyes, and sharp facial features. He always had a sneer on his face, which made him look like he was always smelling something bad.

“Can we help you with something?” Remus asked sharply, standing quickly. Katie stood as well.

“Nothing that concerns you, half-blood” Lucius sneered. “You. Come.” Katie blinked, thinking he was stupid if he thought she was going to go to him. He glared at her. “Didn’t you hear me? I said come here, you insolent little twit.”

“Oh I heard you, I was just thinking of how giant your nose is when you sneer like that” Katie retorted with an innocent smile. A chorus of ‘ooo’s went around the pack of Slytherins. Lucius glared even harder.

“How dare you?” he hissed, striding toward her. “I’ll make you pay for that, you filthy mudblood.” Remus stepped in front of her quickly, wand drawn. Lucius stopped short, and barked a harsh laugh. “Well would you look at this. The half-blood is playing guard dog.” The others laughed as well. “Get out of the way, Lupin.”

“No” Remus said evenly. “You want Katie, you’ll have to go through me.”

“Remus” Katie hissed.

“Very well” Lucius shrugged, pulling his wand. However, before he could say a thing, Katie flickered her wand, thus causing Lucius’ fingers to fall off. The scream that Lucius emitted would forever be in Katie’s brain, but they had no time to laugh at the girlish wail. Grabbing Remus’ hand, she quickly ran away from the Slytherins while they tried to catch Malfoy’s fingers.

“Might I say that was excellent, Katie” Remus gasped as they ran. Katie looked behind her, only to see several Slytherins chasing after them.

“Less talking, more running” Katie squeaked, picking up her pace. They ran along the corridor, dodging loitering students and casting random spells and jinxes to slow down the Slytherins.

Suddenly, a hand shot out of a doorway and dragged Katie inside. Katie screamed through the hand that was covering her mouth, and fought against her captors hold.

“Shh” a voice hissed. “If you don’t shut up, they’re going to find you.” Katie stopped for a moment. She thought she recognized that voice.

“Sirius?” she whispered around the hand.

“No” the voice answered. Light suddenly flared in the small broom closet, and a face that looked like Sirius’ stared back at her. “My name’s Regulus. Sirius is my brother.”

“You’re a Slytherin” Katie hissed, catching sight of his badge. “Why are you helping me?”

“Because I can” Regulus stated bluntly. “Now shut up so I can listen.”

“Don’t tell me to shut up” Katie muttered under her breath. He rolled his eyes and pressed his ear to the door.

“They should be following your friend, unless he hid somewhere as well” Regulus whispered lowly. “I rather doubt it though.”

“You’re an arse” Katie stated. Regulus smirked.

“Why thank you. And might I say that you have a wonderful one.” Katie blushed scarlet, and hated herself for it. He chuckled lowly; the sound was just like Sirius’. Deep and it sent shivers down her spine.

“How do I know that you’re not just going to turn me into Malfoy” Katie frowned, crossing her arms over her chest. He looked at her over his shoulder, his grey eyes fixing on her. His eyes were just a shade lighter than his brother’s, but just as deep.

“You don’t” he stated bluntly. “But you’ve got to trust me.” With that, he pressed his ear to the door again. Katie noticed that he looked a lot like his brother, only younger. Same long black hair, angular jaw, wide shoulders, and toned physique. Regulus was quite a bit paler than Sirius, though. “You’re staring at me.”

Katie blushed, quickly looking away. “No I’m not” she muttered. He chuckled.

“So stubborn. I can see why my brother likes you so much” Regulus said quietly. “Nox.” As the light from his wand went out, and they were cast into darkness, Regulus opened the door a bit to peak out. “Coast is clear.” Instead of going out though, he shut the door again. Katie couldn’t see an inch in front of her face, and she couldn’t hear anything except her own breathing and erratically beating heart.

Katie jumped when a hand touched her cheek. Quickly, she slapped it away. “Don’t touch me” she snapped. Regulus chuckled lowly again, the heat from his body coming closer to her.

“Such fire. Such beauty. So much innocence” Regulus whispered in her ear. Katie shoved him away, but instead of moving, he grabbed her wrists.

“Get off me!” Katie growled, trying to kick him between his legs. He only trapped her leg between his and pressed her against the wall.

“You owe me for helping you” Regulus said. Katie blew out her breath in a hiss. It all happened so fast, that Regulus had no time to register it. Katie wrapped her free leg around his back, hooking her heel on his side, and spun him around. Using a box as leverage, she used both legs to shove him toward the door. He went sprawling out on the corridor floor. Quickly, she dashed to the exit, but Regulus twisted as she jumped over him and caught her ankle.

She hit the ground hard, and got the breath knocked out of her. Her head was spinning, but she kicked his face and scrambled away when he let go. She took off sprinting down the hall, leaving him on the floor. Regulus smirked. “I can so see why you like her, Sirius” he muttered to himself.
♠ ♠ ♠
Kinda long, i know! but Second chapter for today! Yay!! Enjoy!!