Sequel: Bleed It Out
Status: Completed. First story I've ever finished!

Falling Into Black

Chapter 21

“What do you mean she vanished?” Sirius snapped upon heard Remus’ explanation.

“I mean, one second she was there, the next she was gone” Remus snapped back.

“Guys, take it easy” James interjected quickly. Sirius and Remus were chest to chest, face to face, and looked like they were going to start fighting any second. “She probably took cover somewhere.”

“Why would she leave Remus though?” Peter asked.

“She wouldn’t” Natalie answered. “Either she was caught, or she got lost. I’m praying for the latter.”

“What if she did get caught?” Sirius asked challengingly. Natalie stood up from the couch.

“Don’t you go takin’ that tone with me, mister” Natalie growled. “Remus might take that shit, but I sure as hell don’t. Now you either tone down the testosterone or I’ll tone it down for you. With scissors.

All the guys that heard visible paled and covered their own private parts. Sirius sighed, but his shoulders didn’t relax. “What is she got caught?” James asked.

“She would fight her way out” Natalie answered.

“What if she lost her wand?” Remus asked.

“She would fight her way out” Natalie repeated. “She took a self-defense class when she was younger. Trust me. She can defend herself. I learned that the hard way.” Natalie winced as she rubbed her elbow. “Now, I vote we go out and look for her. Who’s in?” The Marauders rose their hands. “Okay then, let’s go.”

Just then, the portrait opened and a blonde girl dashed inside, breathing heavily. Her legs were shaking from exertion, and she didn’t look quite stable.

“Katie!” Natalie nearly screamed. The blonde spun around, panic in her eyes, but once she saw Natalie she visible relaxed.

“Katie, what happened to you?” Remus asked.

“Closet...hand...grabbed me...brother...Slytherin...ran away” Katie gasped.

“Hold up, girly” James said, catching her as she nearly collapsed. “Catch your breath and then explain what happened.” James eased Katie onto the couch, Sirius claimed the seat beside her and took her hand.

Breathing in deeply, Katie said, “Your brother”—she pointed at Sirius—“Pulled me inside a broom closet. Said that Remus wouldn’t find a place to hid. I called him an arse.” Katie left out the part about him saying she had a nice ass, knowing they her friends would be pissed. “He checked to see if the coast was clear, and it was. But he didn’t let me out. So, I kicked him out the door and ran like hell back to the common room.”

“Regulus?” Sirius growled lowly. Katie nodded slowly, causing his hand to tighten painfully on hers. She winced, pushing off his vice-like grip.

“Said I could trust him” Katie said.

“Don’t” Sirius snapped. Katie jumped at the harshness in his voice. “Don’t trust my brother. He’s just like all the other Slytherins.”

“It’s true, Katie” James nodded.

“I don’t trust him” Katie said quickly. “Especially not after what he di—” She stopped suddenly, casting her eyes to the ground. Sirius, eyeing Katie, stood up slowly.

“What did he do?” he asked lowly.

“Nothing” Katie said instantly. Katie patted her pockets, then cursed. “I lost my wand” Katie said, irritated.

- - - - - - -

Come Monday, Katie still hadn’t found her wand. She was willing to bet that Regulus had it and was planning to blackmail her. Thankfully, the professors had excused her for the day, but only for that day. She had to either find her wand or get a new one. If she hadn’t liked her lost wand so much, she would’ve gotten a new one.

Come lunch, she was beyond angry. She hadn’t been able to do any magic in her classes, and she had fallen behind. So, instead of going to the Gryffindor table, she marched over to where Regulus was talking with his friends. He turned, and smirked at her.

“Come back for more, have you?” he asked.

“Nice face” Katie spat, talking about the huge black eye he was sporting. He shrugged. “I want my wand back.” He gasped fakely, putting a hand to his chest.

“Now what makes you think I have it?” he asked innocently. He smirked as he drew it out of his pocket. As Katie reached for it, he pulled it out of her reach.

-
Sirius was watching this at the Gryffindor table, fuming. How dare Regulus do this to his Katie! Unfortunately, he could do nothing because James had a firm grip on his shoulder.
-

“Is this it?” Regulus asked mockingly.

“Give it” Katie snapped.

“What do I get?” he smirked. In response, Katie lifted his hand to her mouth and bit down hard. As he yowled in pain, Katie snatched her wand away and shoved it into her pocket, then faced a pissed off looking Slytherin. She grabbed his wrist as he went to grab her, and twisted it at an impossible angle, and grabbed another Slytherin’s hand as her tried to grab her too, and twisted it like his friend’s. She then ducked under their arms and shoved them away.

Conversations had died away by then, leaving complete silence. “Don’t piss me off when I’m tired” Katie snapped. “Next time I’ll break your hand.” With that, she walked away, and sat down next to Natalie.

“Katie” James breathed, looking stunned. “That was...bloody awesome!!” He whooped, causing the other houses to cheer as well.

“I never knew you could fight like that” Remus laughed, clapping his hands.

“I only use it for self-defense” Katie shrugged, blushing scarlet from the praise.

“You have to teach me!” a Gryffindor girl giggled.

“Did I mention that I’m single?” a Gryffindor boy said from down the table. As he got smacked by his girlfriend, Katie nibbled on her bread.

“Where’d you learn that?” Sirius asked.

“My parents forced me to take a self defense class when I was younger so I could defend myself on the street. ‘Course, this was before I knew I was a witch” Katie said.

“But I never knew you were that good!” Natalie said. She then stood up and made a mocking face at the Slytherins. “In your face, Slytherins! You got your arses kicked by a girl half your size!” Katie quickly pulled the brunette down into her seat as she burst out laughing at the pissed expressions on their faces.

“Would you shut up?” Katie hissed. “It’s bad enough that I feel like this is going to come back to bite me, but now Professor Humphrey is walking toward us so I think I’m going to get detention.”

“Why would you get detention for taking your wand back?” Peter asked.

“Miss Scott. Would you come with me, please?” Professor Humphrey asked as he stopped next to her. Katie winced, but stood up. Her friends gave her sympathetic looks as she and the professor walked from the Great Hall. He didn’t say anything as they walked, and she was too frightened to say anything. Ohmygod, I’m going to get detention. Or worse, suspended. Oh god, I’m going to get suspended. What will my parents think? ‘Katie Anne Scott! I can’t believe you got suspended from school!’ Snap. Ohmygod, I can hear my wand snapping already.

Professor Humphrey pushed open the door to his office. “Sit” he ordered gruffly, gesturing to the chair in front of his desk. As he sat in his own chair, his coal black eyes stared right at her. The intensity of his gaze made Katie uncomfortable. Katie shifted under his gaze. “Who taught you to fight like that?” Katie blinked.

“Uh, the self-defense instructor, sir” Katie answered quietly. He nodded, still staring at her behind his wavy black hair.

“I have a proposition for you, Katie” Professor Humphrey said abruptly, taking extra care to tidy his stack of papers. “The other professors wanted to give you detention, but I don’t. Instead, I want to give you more training. Both magical and non-magical.”

“I’m afraid I don’t understand” Katie said slowly. He looked at her again and smiled. Katie was shocked at how much his hard face transformed when he smiled.

“Ever heard of the Cloning Charm?” he asked. Katie nodded. “Ever used it?” Katie shook her head. “What about the Homorphus Charm?”

“I’ve heard of it. It changes an Animagus or transfigured object to its original form, right?” He nodded.

“I could tutor you. Make it so you get ahead of all the others in your year.” Professor Humphrey shrugged. “Only if you want, though.” Katie blinked.

“Might I ask why?” Katie said slowly.

“You have potential” he said. “And, and I’m not gloating or anything, I know quite a few helpful spells.” Katie smiled at that, which in turn caused him to smile. “And I also know a lot of self-defense moves.” He mimed chopping something with his hand. Katie giggled into her hand. “So what do you say?”

“Sure, sounds great” Katie grinned. He grinned as well.

“Great! Be here tonight after Astronomy.” With that, he winked and sent her on her way.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay. I think that's all im going to post today. Hope you enjoy. btw, I luv comments!