Sequel: Bleed It Out
Status: Completed. First story I've ever finished!

Falling Into Black

Chapter 3

Katie was sitting alone at breakfast the next morning, making random patterns with her fork on her pancakes. She hadn’t seen Natalie all morning, and she was beginning to get a bit worried.

“Wow, I’m hungry” Natalie gasped, plopping down next to Katie. Katie jumped, and stared at her friend. She looked tired. Her hazel eyes were barely open, and she moved lazily. Her hair was messily brushed as well, and she didn’t have any make-up on.

“Where were you?” Katie asked slowly.

“I told you, I was writing my brother a letter” Natalie answered.

“I didn’t see you in the common room or in the dorm” Katie stated, frowning.

“Because I went to the Owlry” Natalie shrugged.

“And it took you all night and morning?” Katie asked.

“It was a long letter” Natalie stated matter-o-factly. “Kitty, do you like Sirius?” Natalie asked, changing the subject. Katie’s eyes widened.

“What makes you say that?” Katie asked quickly, panic evident in her tone. Katie didn’t want anyone to know about her crush on Sirius, not even her best friend. And she had kept it a secret since first year, so no way in hell was Natalie going to know. Katie felt bad about not telling her friend, but if she knew Natalie (which she did), she would try to set Katie and Sirius up.

“I’m just asking” Natalie shrugged, though her hazel-green eyes were knowing. Katie, feeling increasingly uncomfortable, shifted in her seat under the brunette’s gaze. Thankfully (and Katie could’ve kissed a cow because of it), the bell rang.

“Well, I’m off to Potions” Katie said quickly, standing up.

“Have fun” Natalie smiled. Katie nodded, before nearly running out of the Great Hall, weaving easily through the crowd of students. Natalie rolled her eyes. “Oh, Katie” she sighed, shaking her head with an evil grin.

~

Katie sighed deeply when she walked into the Potions classroom, and saw the Marauders laughing their heads off. Great, she thought, unenthusiastically. Forcing her eyes to the floor, she walked to an empty table on the other side of the room.

“Morning, class” Professor Slughorn said cheerfully. The class murmured their greetings back. “Today we will be creating the Draught of Living Death. And the first one of you to create it perfectly will win this.” Professor Slughorn held up a black velvet box.

“What is it?” someone asked.

“Two things are inside this box” Slughorn stated. “One, is the True Love necklace. The necklace glows when the person who wears it loves the one who put it on them. A perfect present for any couple. The second is Felix Felicis, also known as Liquid Luck. The winner will have a choice of any one of them. Now, with that said...begin!”

_______________

Katie couldn’t believe it. She just couldn’t. In all her years at this school, she hadn’t once been beaten in Potions, one of her best subjects. But Sirius Black had changed that. Sirius Black had created the Draught of Living Death quicker than her. The boy sucked at Potions, and yet he beat her.

“Hey, Kitty, what’s up?” Natalie chirped, falling into step with her friend.

“He beat me” Katie stated, shock in her voice and on her face.

“Who?” Natalie asked.

“Sirius. He made the potion quicker than me.” Natalie’s eyes flared.

“Wait, wait, wait, hold up” Natalie said, grabbing Katie’s shoulder. “Are we talking about Sirius Black?” Katie nodded solemnly. “Sirius Black beat you in Potions? You? Katie Scott?”

“Yep” Katie sighed.

“That’s... surprising” Natalie breathed. Katie nodded.

“Let’s just get to Charms” Katie muttered. The two girls continued walking in silence, both thinking over the shocking fact. “So, how was Care of Magical Creatures?” Katie asked, breaking the silence.

“Fun. We studied mini dragons today” Natalie said.

“Cool” Katie smiled. Natalie nodded, and, with a grin, reached into her pocket.

“Professor Kettleburn gave me two. I want you to have one” she said, slowly opening her hand. A dragon, about the size of an American half-dollar, was curled up on Natalie’s palm. The small wings slowly unfurled as the dragon stretched out its nimble body, before flying out of her palm and flying around Katie’s head. Katie giggled, opening her palm, which the dragon then landed in.

“Natalie, it’s adorable” Katie grinned.

“Her name’s Rowan” Natalie said. “Happy early birthday.” Katie laughed.

“Thank you so much, Nat. I love her.”

“Professor Kettleburn said she’ll live for as long as you will, and that she’s very loyal.” As if to prove her point, Rowan flew to Katie’s shoulder and nuzzled her cheek, making an adorable sound. Katie giggled. “She’ll go anywhere you do.”

“Can she breathe fire?” Katie asked. Natalie nodded, smiling still.

“Yeah. Not very well in this form, but she can make a small ember” she said. Katie frowned in confusion.

“This form? What do you mean?”

“Professor Kettleburn charmed her so that she could become larger at will. But she’s shy and doesn’t like to draw attention to herself so she mostly stays small.” Just then, a black blur shot out of Natalie’s pocket, and blew a burst of orange fire. Natalie quickly snatched it out of the air and stuck it back in her pocket. “That was Merrow. He’s likes to draw attention to himself, which is not good for me.” Katie snickered.

“They’re like us” Katie stated. Natalie blinked, and then laughed.

“You’re right! I didn’t notice that until now!”
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter 3. I don't care if i don't get comments, i like this story so i'm going to post a chapter whenever i can.