Sequel: Bleed It Out
Status: Completed. First story I've ever finished!

Falling Into Black

Chapter 30

“Where’d you get the ring?” Natalie asked as she and Katie sat in the Three Broomsticks. Katie looked away from the window to look at the ring. It looked massive on her slender fingers.

“Professor Humphrey gave it to me” Katie answered honestly. “It was his daughters.”

“Was?” Natalie asked. Funny, Katie thought, that was the same thing I asked him.

“She was tortured by a Death Eater. Though he didn’t tell me if she died or not. Just that she went insane” Katie said sadly.

“That’s so depressing” Natalie murmured. “But why did he give it to you?”

“He said I reminded him of her” Katie replied, taking a sip of her Butterbeer. The two girls were silent for a moment, thinking over that terrible fact, before Katie broke it by saying, “Snow’s late” in order to change the subject. It was true. Snow had not yet fallen, so there was only the old snow.

“Yay” Natalie smiled. Katie frowned.

“’Yay’? Why is that ‘yay’?” she asked.

“Because I hate snow” Natalie stated like it was the most obvious thing in the world. Which it was. Natalie was born during the summer, so naturally she loved the warmth and sunshine. Katie was born in winter so she loved snow, overcast, and cold. She was weird like that.

“You hate everything” Katie laughed.

“That’s not true” Natalie said firmly, pointing a finger at the blonde. “I don’t hate—no, I hated that. Oh! I liked—no, no I didn’t like that either. I—no I couldn’t stand him.”

“See?” Katie smirked, earning a glare.

“I don’t hate the Marauders, or Lily, or Ben, or you” Natalie said smugly. “Though I’m kinda feeling the need to smack you.”

“But you wouldn’t smack something as sweet and innocent as me, would you?” Katie asked, with her irresistible puppy-dog pout. Natalie instantly looked away.

“Oh no, you are not getting me with that stupid pout” she said firmly. Katie kept up the face. Natalie peaked at her, before looking away again. “Quit it. It doesn’t work on me anymore.”

“Then why aren’t you looking at me?” Katie asked, struggling not to smirk.

“Smartass” Natalie muttered. Katie laughed. “I swear, the Marauders are a bad influence on you.”

“And why is that?” Sirius smirked as he joined them. Katie scooted over so he could sit next to her in the booth, which he took. James sat on his other side, while Remus and Peter sat next to Natalie, which ended up with Katie and Natalie sitting next to each other.

“Because she used to be all shy and stuff but now she’s bold and confident” Natalie said. Katie raised an eyebrow at her friend.

“And that’s a bad thing?” she asked challengingly.

“No! Of course not!” Natalie said quickly. “I like bold you, you’re more fun to be around.”

“Excuse me?” Katie asked.

“That’s not what I meant!” Natalie looked panicked by now. “I just....I should just stop talking.”

“Good idea” James laughed. Natalie sighed.

“So, girls, what did you get us?” he asked, gesturing to the multiple bags.

“None a’ya business” Natalie replied.

“I didn’t get ya’ll anything because you haven’t told me what you wanted” Katie shrugged.

“Anything Quidditch” James said. “I love Quidditch. Or some dungbombs. Or a Screaming Yo-yo.”

“Oh, god” Remus groaned. “Please, Katie, for the sake of all our ears, do not get him a Screaming Yo-yo.” Katie nodded, laughing lightly.

“Okay, Quidditch stuff or dungbombs for James” Katie mumbled, almost to herself. “What do you want Remus?”

“A book” everyone said in unison. Remus glared at them.

“I don’t really want anything” he shrugged.

“Well tough Twinkies” Katie said firmly. They stared at her blankly, except Natalie.

“It’s a little yellow cake filled with cream” Natalie translated. “Muggle snack. They’re so good though.”

“I’ve never had one” James shrugged.

“They’re good” Katie stated. “And I’m going to get you something whether you like it or not” she said to Remus, who rolled his eyes.

“I want to try a Twinkie” Peter said, smiling. “They sound really good.”

“Muggle snacks are the best” Katie grinned. “My personal favorite are these delicious chocolate balls covered in hazel nuts and filled with creamy milk chocolate.” Katie could’ve swore she saw Peter drool.

“That sounds amazing” Sirius said.

“They are. They melt in your mouth” Katie said.

“Are you talking about those Ferrero Rocher things?” Natalie asked. Katie nodded. “Oh, those things are the best!” she nearly moaned.

“If you get me anything that’s sweet and delicious, I’ll be happy” Peter laughed. Katie laughed as well.

“Your turn, Sirius” Natalie grinned.

“What about you?” He shot back.

“Oh, I’ve already gotten hers” Katie said. “I actually got hers a while back.”

“How far back?” Natalie asked.

“August” Katie answered. “But I know you’ll love them.”

“I always love your gifts” Natalie smiled.

“Aww!” James cooed, batting his eyelashes at them. “I promised myself I wouldn’t cry.” The girls rolled their eyes while the guys laughed and James fanned himself in a girly fashion.

“Anywho” Katie said. “What do you want, Sirius?”

“Nothing. I’m happy with what I have” Sirius shrugged.

“Liar” James coughed.

“I am not” Sirius growled. “I’m serious.”

“We know who you are, Sirius” Katie smirked.

“Oh ha, ha” he said sarcastically. She giggled.

“I thought it was funny” Natalie grinned. She and Katie bumped fists.

“But seriously” Katie continued. “What do you want for Christmas? And don’t say nothing because everyone wants something.”

“Or someone” James muttered under his breath. Sirius glared at him. Thankfully, Katie didn’t hear him.

“I don’t want anything” Sirius insisted.

“Stubborn ass” she muttered.

“You’re one to talk Miss I-don’t-listen-to-anything-anyone-says” he shot back, raising an eyebrow. She narrowed her eyes at him, those normally soft pale blue eyes piercing through him.

“Hey, I, like, totally forgot” Natalie cut in. “We didn’t go to the Shrieking Shack.”

“I’m so in” James grinned.

“Let’s go” Remus agreed. Everyone slid out of the booth and walked out of the pub (after Katie and Natalie paid for their butterbeers).

“Oi, Katie, what the hell are you doing?” James laughed, seeing the blonde excitedly kick up the snow.

“What does it look like, James?” Katie asked, grinning. “I’m enjoying what snow is on the ground. Since it’s not snowing, I have to settle for this.”

“You like snow?” Remus asked, making a face.

“Heck yeah” she replied. “Snow it awesome. It’s cold and wet, sure, but it makes everything look beautiful and magical.” Katie twirled around, but then tripped over a root underneath the snow and went rolling down the hill. She was laughing when she reached the bottom, even though she was covered in snow.

“Lord” Natalie muttered, trotting down the hill to her friend. The boys followed. “Katie, look at you. You’re covered in snow.” The way Natalie was talking to Katie, made the Marauders think of a mother scolding her child.

“Duh” Katie scoffed, standing up. “That’s what happens when someone rolls down a hill that’s covered in snow.” Natalie rolled her eyes.

“Natalie was right” Remus said suddenly. “You have changed, Katie. When we first met you, you were quiet and shy. Now you’re open and you honestly don’t give a crap about what people think.” Katie blinked.

“Is that a bad thing?” she asked slowly. The boys shook their heads.

“You’re fun” James said. “But it was funny watching you blush at everything.”

“I didn’t blush at everything!” Katie exclaimed.

“Yeah, you kinda did” Sirius grinned. She glared at him.

“You know what, I don’t feel like taking this crap from you guys” Katie said smartly. “When you’re done insulting me, then you can come find me.” With that, and a flip of her blonde hair, Katie walked away, toward the Shrieking Shack.

“Moody, much?” James muttered.

“She’s just messin’” Natalie said, rolling her eyes.

“Is she going in there?” Remus asked.

“Yeah” Natalie replied. “She always does. Every year, she would drag me into that cursed house.” Natalie shuddered. “It’s spooky in there. I always feel like I’m being watched.”

“They say it’s the most haunted building in Britain” James grinned.

“Yeah, cause the villagers hear howling or something from ‘a violent spirit’” Sirius added, grinning as well. James imitated a ghost moan.

“Stop it!” Natalie snapped, shoving the two. They laughed so they didn’t notice how pale Remus looked.

-

Katie walked up the creaky stairs of the Shrieking Shack, taking them carefully. They didn’t seem stable, but thankfully they didn’t break. She went into the room at the top. Looking around, she noticed that there were multiple fresh scratches on the floor and wall. As she went further into the room, her foot got caught on a loose nail.

She fell to the ground on her hands and knees. Instantly, Katie felt something wet beneath her hands. The floor where her hands were was black like oil, and shiny like it too. Katie frowned, lifting her hands into the light.

It wasn’t oil on the floor, because it wasn’t black. It was red. A bright, bright red. Blood. Her head felt light-headed as she continued to stare at the red fluid, and she felt like she was going to be sick. Don’t faint, don’t scream, don’t faint, don’t scream, she kept chanting to herself.

“Katie!” she heard Sirius yell. Looking around, Katie noticed that there were more smudges of blood on the floors and walls. And there were footprints. Animal foot prints. Two looked canine, while the other looked like a deer.

“Kitty, come on let’s—” Natalie stopped short when she saw the blood as well. “Ohmygod.”

“We should go” James said, grabbing Natalie’s arms. Sirius hefted Katie to her feet, but as he did, she went limp. Sirius easily lifted her into his arms. She was feather-light and warm in his arms. If only she were conscious, Sirius thought with a quiet sigh.

-
Once outside in the snow, Natalie came to her senses. Unfortunately, she came back with a vengeance. “What the hell was that?! What was with all of that blood?! It was like there was a murder!”

“Natalie!” James shouted over her frantic babbling. “I don’t know what that was, but we have to get Katie to the Hospital Wing.” She nodded quickly, still looking pale though. “Come on.” As James led the way up the path toward Hogwarts, Sirius looked down at Katie. She was deathly pale, and maybe a little green, but other than that, she looked like she was sleeping. She looked peaceful.

Sirius shifted her a bit, which caused her head to loll toward him. His breath froze when her lips brushed against the exposed skin of his neck. It was like he was electrocuted. Warmth coursed through him, following a spark.

“How is she?” Remus asked from beside him. Sirius noticed he looked about as pale as Katie.

“She’s still out cold” Sirius answered, voice rough.

“I can’t believe this” he mumbled.

“Hey, you can’t blame yourself. You couldn’t’ve known that she would fall in some blood” Sirius reassured his friend.
♠ ♠ ♠
I think Katie handled the blood thing better than i would have. i might've thrown up or screamed. idk.
but i love these guys. they're halarious.

anywho, sorry i haven't updated in a while. i've been busy. but i'm not spring break now!!! yay!!!!! comments are loved!! XD