Sequel: Bleed It Out
Status: Completed. First story I've ever finished!

Falling Into Black

Chapter 39

School started back up not long after, much to the disappointment of just about every student in the school. Katie was in Herbology with Natalie and the Marauders. Both James and Sirius looked like they were going to pass out from boredom, while Natalie already had her head on the table and was snoring quietly. Katie honestly didn’t know how the brunette was able to sleep standing up.

“Can we just ditch this?” James muttered.

“No” Remus answered.

“Come on, love, please?” Sirius begged Katie.

“Knock yourself out” Katie shrugged. “But I have to stay. If I’m going to be an Auror, I need an E on my Herbology O.W.L.”

“You’re going to be an Auror?” James asked. Katie nodded.

“What else do you need?” Remus asked.

“I need Es in DADA, Potions, Herbology, Transfiguration, and Charms” Katie said.

“We don’t have O.W.L.s this year” Remus stated, confused.

“You don’t. But I do” Katie muttered. “Don’t ask me why. Professor Dumbledore suggested it. And if there’s anything I’ve learned during my 6 years here, is that you don’t question the Dumbledore.” Sirius snickered at that, while Remus nodded.

“What would you need to become a Quidditch player?” James asked. “Other than being awesome at Quidditch.” Katie pursed her lips in thought.

“E in Astronomy, I believe, and an A in History of Magic” Katie said slowly. James groaned.

“History of Magic? Astronomy? Those my two of my least favorite classes” he complained.

“Mr. Potter, is there something you’d like to share with the class?” Professor Sprout asked.

“Yeah” he answered. “I’d just like to say that its rubbish that I need an E in Astronomy and an A in History of Magic to become a Quidditch player. I mean, what the hell am I going to use History of Magic for when I’m trying to catch the bloody snitch? Am I going to answer questions about goblin rebellions, or what?” Professor Sprout blinked.

“Well, that’s the last time I ask you that question” she muttered, causing the students to laugh. Katie shook her head while Sirius laughed hysterically into his hand. Katie then felt something nudge into her thigh, and looked down to see Dane sitting at her feet. Katie smiled at the pup, bending down to pet his head. However, instead of letting her pet him, he bared his teeth. Katie then noticed the little black box in his teeth. Dane started wagging his tail when she took it from him, before he trotted out of the greenhouse.

“What’s that?” Sirius asked. Katie shrugged, and popped open the box. Inside lay the snowflake necklace Sirius had given her for Christmas/birthday. “Wow, I nearly forgot about that” he murmured, taking the box away from her.

“You going to put it on her now?” Remus asked. “I’m sure she’s dying to wear it.” Katie smiled, and nodded.

“Alright, alright” Sirius mumbled to himself. He crooked his finger at Katie. Katie walked around Natalie and turned her back to him. Sirius seemed to prepare himself before he fastened the clasp at the back of her neck. The delicate little snowflake settled against her skin, nearly as cold as ice itself. Katie smiled as she fingered the necklace. Then, the diamonds of the snowflake began glow a bright, shimmering white.

Katie turned back around to look at Sirius. “Is it supposed to do that?” she asked. He blinked.

“S-sometimes” he stuttered. He then grinned widely. “It looks beautiful on you.” Katie blushed.

“Thanks” she muttered. His warm hand enveloped hers.

“Class dismissed” Professor Sprout called. “No homework.”

“Yes” James breathed. Remus gently shook Natalie awake, before the 7 of them exited the greenhouse. Katie and Sirius were walking hand in hand behind the others.

“Well, isn’t this precious” a familiar voice said behind them. They turned to see Lucius Malfoy standing with his pack of Slytherins. Katie noticed that both Severus and Regulus were part of the group and they both looked disturbed. “A blood traitor and a filthy mudblood.”

“Shut your mouth, Malfoy” Sirius snapped, stepping in front of Katie. A chorus of ‘oos’ went around the group of Slytherins.

“What’re you going to do, Black? Hex me?” Lucius asked mockingly. Sirius put his hand in his pocket.

“You keep running that trap I just might” he responded.

“Sirius, don’t” Katie whispered desperately.

“Yeah, come on, Sirius” Remus added. “He’s not worth it.” Katie could see just how bad Sirius wanted to curse Lucius, but she knew he would get hurt if he did.

“Please, Sirius” Katie begged again.

“’Please, Sirius’” Lucius repeated, imitating her voice. Katie glared at him.

“You’re trying our patience, Malfoy” James growled, stepping up beside Sirius. “You should just walk away before you regret it.” Lucius barked a laugh.

“Or you scream like a little girl like last time” Katie added, smirking. His laughter died away, and those cold eyes narrowed on her.

“Don’t think I’ve forgotten that, Katie” he hissed. “I’m going to make you regret that.”

“Oh really?” Katie asked. She honestly didn’t know where this confidence was coming from, but she felt like she could take on the world. “And how would you do that? Other than hiding behind your bodyguards like a dirty coward while they do all the work.”

“How dare you?” Lucius sneered, whipping out his wand. Before he could utter a spell, his wand flew out of his hand with a flash of light. Katie smiled at his shocked face. Behind him, Regulus shook his head slightly.

“Just walk away, Lucius” Katie said calmly.

“I’ll get you for this” Lucius hissed.

“And your little dog too” Natalie cackled. James snorted involuntarily. “Dude, just go away.” With one last glare, Lucius walked away, followed by his group. Regulus was the last to leave, but he then sighed and followed after them.

“Okay” James breathed. “That was…interesting.”

“I didn’t know you could perform none-verbal spells, Katie” Natalie said with a smirk. Katie shrugged, squeezing Sirius’ hand.

“I’ve been practicing with Professor Humphrey since Halloween” she said. Suddenly, a high-pitched scream cut through the air. The spun around to see Dayne with his teeth in Malfoy’s arse.

“GET OFF ME YOU DUMB MUTT!!!!!” Lucius shouted. Regulus quickly grabbed Dane’s collar and pulled him off, which only resulted in bright yellow boxers being exposed as Lucius’ pants ripped. Everyone who saw this laughed, the loudest being from James, Sirius, and Natalie.

Regulus ran over, leading Dane with him, and stopped in front of Katie and Sirius. “He’s yours I believe?” he asked with a fake venomous tone. Katie nodded and grabbed hold of Dane’s collar.

“You may leave now” Natalie hissed. Regulus nodded, before walking away. Dane whined as he watched Regulus disappear inside. Katie stroked his head.

“I believe this dog deserves a treat” James grinned. Dane’s ear pricked up, his tail wagging.

“You guys go on ahead” Sirius said, smiling lightly as he squeezed Katie’s free hand. “We’ll catch up with you later.” They shrugged.

“Alright, then” Remus murmured, taking Dane from Katie.

“Where are we going?” Katie asked as Sirius led Katie into the castle.

“Natalie told me that you performed a corporeal Patronus” he said. “I wanna see it.”

“Then why didn’t you just say so?” Katie asked, smiling. “You didn’t have to go and be all mysterious and act like we were going to do it somewhere.” Sirius laughed as he transferred his hand from hers to wrap his arm around her shoulder.

“I swear, you get more and more like me every day” he smirked. Katie scoffed, patting his stomach.

“Don’t flatter yourself, Sirius. You’re not that interesting. There’s only so much I can pick up from you” Katie replied, before walking away from him. Sirius chuckled, shaking his head.

“That girl…” he murmured to himself, before jogging after her.

“I bet you 2 sickles that they’re going to do it somewhere” James grinned. Remus rolled his eyes while Natalie grinned as well.

“I bet you they’re not” she retorted.

“Remus, do you have a say?” James asked. Remus shook his head.

“I want no part in the bet against or for Katie’s virtue” he replied.

“Wuss” Natalie scoffed.

“Am not” Remus muttered. “I just don’t feel comfortable betting on that.”

“Whatever” Natalie muttered, rolling her eyes. Natalie then noticed that Remus looked a bit paler than normal. “When’s the next full moon, Remus?” she asked softly.

“Tomorrow” he muttered.

“Are you going to use the stuff Katie gave you?” Peter asked. He nodded slowly.

“Only the moonstone necklace though” Remus said. “I want to see if that works before I use the potion.”

“Makes sense” James shrugged. “If the necklace works, then there would be no need for the potion, so you can save it.”

“I think it would be cool to an Animagus” Natalie sighed.

“Why?” Remus asked.

“To be able to change into an animal at will? That’d be freaking awesome” Natalie stated.

“Yeah, but with your luck you’d get something lame like a goldfish” James laughed.

“Oh that would suck” Natalie muttered, making a face. “What if someone’s Patronus was a bee or something?” The boys laughed.

“What would it do?” James asked through his laughter. “Buzz around a dementor? All it would have to do would be to swat at it and the bee would disappear.”

“Katie and I actually created a scenario like that” Natalie said. “She even drew a picture. It had a witch conjuring her Patronus, and there are two witches behind her saying ‘A bee? What could that do against a dementor?’ and then under that there are two dementors screaming ‘BEE!’” Natalie paused to laugh. “One dementor says ‘I’ll swat it!’ and the other says ‘No! That’ll just make it angry’.” They all burst out laughing when Natalie finished speaking. James was laughing so hard his hands were on his knees to keep him from falling over. But Remus still had to catch him.

“Oh god, that’s funny” James breathed, straightening himself as he wiped his eyes. “You know what we should do? Play a prank on Katie and Sirius.”

“Why?” Remus asked. “They could get really angry at us.”

“Yeah, and Katie angry is something not even a dragon wants to mess with” Natalie added.

“But, we would make it look like it has nothing to do with us” James insisted.

“So, we frame someone?” Peter asked. James nodded, grinned.

“Like who?” Natalie asked. James’ grin only widened.

-

Katie closed her eyes, and focused on the memory she used to conjure her Patronus before. And like before, it jumped to the front of her mind, showing her the happiness of her friends and herself. She murmured the incantation with her eyes still closed. Behind her, Sirius sucked in a shocked breath. Opening her eyes, she saw the same wolf-like dog as before, except this time it was calmly sitting at Katie’s feet, looking up at her.

Katie turned to look at Sirius, whose eyes were wide. She smiled. As she did, the dog bounded toward Sirius and tackled him to the ground, licking his face excitedly. Katie giggled.

“Heel! Sit! Down!” he laughed. “Make it stop!” Katie whistled softly. The dog backed off, but sat on the ground next to him. He grinned as he sat up. “A dog?”

“Wolf-dog is more like it” Katie shrugged. “But yeah. I think it’s supposed to be a dog.” The Patronus barked at that. Sirius gently stroked the dog’s head. A white, wispy tail started wagging.

“Amazing” he murmured. “I’ve never seen a Patronus up close before. Are they solid?”

“I’m not sure” Katie said honestly, kneeling next to him. “I was surprised when I was able to touch her my first time.”

“Her?” Sirius asked.

“She just seems like a ‘she’” Katie mumbled, blushing lightly. He nodded, absently petting the dog. He seemed to be thinking about something, but about what, Katie didn’t know. Normally she could read him very easily by his eyes, but because his eyes weren’t on her, she couldn’t read him. This made Katie wonder what was going though that complicated mind right then.

“Tala” he suddenly said, grinning. Katie blinked, and then tilted her head to the side. “It means ‘wolf’ in Native American” he explained.

“And you know this how…?” Katie asked slowly. Sirius shrugged.

“I read it in a book somewhere” he said, nonchalant.

“You read?” Katie teased. He pushed her, but then his hand slipped off her shoulder and he ended up draped across her lap. Katie laughed. “Very smooth” she murmured. He grinned up at her, turning over so he was on his back with his head in her lap. Katie gently brushed the inky hair from his forehead. “You didn’t bring me to the Room of Requirement just to have a snogging session, did you Sirius?” Katie asked, raising an eyebrow when she caught him staring at her lips.

He rolled his eyes. “I don’t need to bring you here just so we can snog. We can do that anywhere.”

“You forget that we’re still not official” Katie pointed out. He frowned, sitting up quickly.

“Really? You mean I haven’t asked you to be my girlfriend?” he asked, looking truly confused. Butterflies filled Katie’s stomach, fluttering with anticipation. Katie shook her head. “Hm. Well then we should fix that, shouldn’t we?”

“Huh?” Katie asked as Sirius pulled her to her feet.

“Just trust me. Meet me in front of that statue in front of the Great Hall before Transfiguration” he said with a secretive grin. Katie frowned, and opened her mouth to question, but he quickly kissed her forehead and walked out of the Room of Requirement. Katie looked over at Tala, who stared back.

“There’s no telling what that boy has in mind” Katie murmured. Tala sneezed, before disappearing into a cloud of silver-white wisps.
♠ ♠ ♠
Rofl. Lucius is such a, pardon my language all, pussy.
Still watching Titanic. did i mention that i love this movie?? Cause i do. Its like one of my favorites.
Comments and/or silent readers are loved.