Sequel: Bleed It Out
Status: Completed. First story I've ever finished!

Falling Into Black

Chapter 42

Katie’s condition didn’t improve over the next few weeks, but neither did it deteriorate. Unfortunately, because of this, she was moved to St Mungo's for further treatment. There seemed to be nothing anyone could do, though, because even with the best Healer, she didn’t get better. It was unclear if the venom from Darius was still in her system, but what was for certain was that the wounds from Karayan weren’t healing.

A month after the attack, and the Marauders and Natalie were sitting outside under their favorite tree next to the Black Lake. But they couldn’t enjoy the February sun. They could only think of how Katie was doing.

“This is so depressing” James mumbled, sighing.

“Yeah” Remus agreed. “It’s not the same without her.” Natalie suddenly stood up.

“We’re acting like she’s dead” she said venomously. Not toward them, just their attitudes in general.

“Might as well be” Sirius muttered. Natalie slapped Sirius as hard as she could.

“Don’t you dare say that ever again” she hissed. “She is not dead or dying.”

“Okay, okay” Sirius said quickly, rubbing his aching cheek.

“Natalie!” a voice suddenly yelled. Natalie turned to see Lily sprinting toward them, looking excited and extremely happy.

“What’s up, Lily?” Natalie asked.

“She’s back” Lily breathed.

“Who?” James asked.

“Katie. She’s back!” Lily answered.

“Well then why are we sitting here when we could be squeezing the crap out of her” Remus grinned, standing up. The 6 of them followed Lily as she ran into the castle, and then into the Great Hall. There was a crowd surrounding someone, everyone smiling and looking the happiest since Katie was sent to the Hospital Wing.

“Katie!” Natalie shrieked, sprinting toward the crowd, which parted to let the blonde come through. Natalie threw her arms around Katie.

“Oo. Ouch. Nat, pain everywhere” Katie laughed shakily. Natalie quickly released her.

“Sorry. I just missed you so much” Natalie grinned.

“You ever do that again, I’m going to hurt you” James said seriously, gently hugging her.

“And if you ever put me to sleep like that again, I’ll strangle you myself” Natalie said, just as seriously. Remus hugged Katie, and then Lily and Peter. Sirius scooped Katie up in a huge, but gentle hug, and kissed everywhere on her face. Katie giggled.

“Stop it, Sirius. That tickles” she said, pushing him away.

“You had me so worried, Katie” Sirius stated, putting his hands on either side of her face. “Do you know how much you’ve worried everyone? Don’t ever do that again.” Katie rolled her eyes, but nodded.

“Good to have you back, Miss Scott” Professor McGonagall smiled as she walked by.

“Good to be back, Professor” Katie laughed. She then winced, rubbing her stomach. “Gotta remember not to laugh” she muttered to herself. The others laughed. “So, what did I miss?”

“Homework, mostly” James muttered. Katie groaned lightly.

“Great, just what I wanted as soon as I come back” she muttered. They laughed again, Sirius pulling Katie into his side.

“We missed you” he grinned.

- - - - - - - - - -

Katie stroked Dane’s head lovingly, while Sirius stroked her head lovingly. It was kinda amusing. But was even more amusing was watching Lily, Remus, and Natalie play poker. They were betting candy instead of money.

“Sirius” Katie said, struggling not to smile.

“Hm?” he hummed.

“Stop stroking me. I’m not a dog” she laughed. Her friends laughed.

“Sorry” he murmured. Katie then remembered something.

“Hey, I’ll be right back, guys” Katie said quickly.

“Where are you going?” both Sirius and Natalie asked.

“To talk with someone” Katie answered. “And if it’ll make you feel any better, I’ll bring Dane.” Dane barked, tail wagging.

“Are you sure he can protect you?” Peter asked curiously. Dane growled, causing the others to laugh when Peter quickly hid behind James.

“I’m pretty sure he can protect her” James laughed.

“You better be back in 30 minutes” Natalie said seriously. “If not, we’re coming to find you. and we’re bringing Padfoot the Wonder Dog.” Katie snickered.

“The Amazing Tracking Bear-dog” Remus added, laughing as well. Sirius scowled, but then Katie kissed his cheek, which instantly made him grin.

“I’ll be right back” she said again. “Come on, Dane.” The blue merle Border Collie followed after his master, tail wagging. Once the portrait closed, Katie kneeled in front of the dog. He looked nearly fully grown, but it was obvious he still had quite a bit of growing to do. “Okay, boy. I need you to find Severus for me. Can you do that?” she asked him seriously. He seemed to grin as he woofed, obviously happy that his master was asking something of him.

Dane trotted down the staircase, nose in the air. Katie followed after him, trying to ignore the pain in her arm and entire torso area. It still hadn’t healed up, even after a month, so under her shirt, her torso was wrapped completely in white gauze. Her left arm was in a sling to minimize the movement since her shoulder had been bitten. Her right forearm had a thick band of white around it, over the fang marks. Also, she had several cuts elsewhere, the worst of them being on her neck and cheeks.

They caused Katie constant pain, so much that she couldn’t wait for them to heal. She couldn’t do anything overly strenuous, or even hug her friends for that matter. She couldn’t do magic, since both the Healers and Madame Pomfrey said that her body needed to heal and using magic would just use up her energy. Energy Katie didn’t have.

As Katie followed Dane, she thought about the attack. The only think that had been going through her mind was help David, help David, help David. She didn’t care about her own safety, only his. She now knew how stupid she had been, barging in there without a plan. It wasn’t like her at all.

Dane descended the stairs down into the dungeon, Katie following without any hesitation. He quickened his pace as they rounded the corner, before bursting into a run, barking madly. The black-clad figure turned as Dane tackled him. Katie rushed over, despite her pain, and quickly pulled Dane off.

“I’m so sorry, are you alright?” she asked quickly as the figure stood and brushed himself off. He then reached up and removed his hood. Severus grinned widely.

“You really are back” he breathed, pulling her into a firm hug.

“Ow, less hugging” Katie said quickly, wincing. It seemed to hurt more now than it did earlier. He quickly pulled away, smiling apologetically.

“Sorry. I’m just so happy to see you” he said honestly. Katie smiled softly.

“Severus, I came down here to say thank you” she said then. Severus blinked, confusion written on his face. “I saw what you did, and if you hadn’t of, I don’t think I’d be thanking you right now.” His eyes widened for a split second, but he tried to play it off. Failing miserably, by the way.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about” he shrugged. Katie rolled her eyes.

“I saw you give me that potion, Severus” she said patiently.

“Wha—”

Katie tapped her temple. “I had a vision of it.” He sighed, but then nodded. “Thank you, Severus. I’m glad you did.”

“I’m glad I did, too” he smiled.

-Flashback to vision-

Katie was staring at her own body, frowning in confusion. Why was she laying in that bed? Why was she wrapped in gauze? Why did she look like she was dead? Those where the three main questions zooming through her mind, but none of them she could answer. She couldn’t remember anything previous, except fuzzy voices.

Just then, two people walked into the room, one dressed in the traditional lime green robes of the Healers and the other dressed head to toe in black. Katie realized with start that it was Severus. They walked toward her body.

“You can only stay briefly” the Healer said. Severus nodded, before the Healer walked from the room. Katie wondered what was going through his head as he stared down at her. He gently reached out to brush a strand of her head from her forehead. Pain seared through her forehead where his fingers touched, causing Katie’s hand to go to her forehead, hissing in pain. Her body whimpered slightly, obviously too weak to move.

Severus sighed as he drew his hand away and reached into his robe. “You’ll be alright, Katie” he whispered, pulling out a vial. He then shrugged off his robe and threw it on an armchair. Katie dropped her hand—which she vaguely realized was grey, almost translucent—and watched as Severus gently lifted her shoulders off the bed. A burning pain stabbed at wherever he touch, but Katie and her body made no sound or movement. Severus kneeled behind her so she was leaning against his chest, and titled her head back a bit. Katie moved closer to see what was in the vial he opened, but she couldn’t tell what the metallic light blue liquid was.

Katie felt the smooth surface of the vial touch her lips, and then a soothing, cold sensation running down her throat and into her stomach, where it spread everywhere. An invisible force yanked Katie forward, sending her stumbling into the bed. A pulse of cold spread through her body again, and yanked Katie again. Katie grunted a bit at the force, rapidly blinking as black spots covered her vision.

“Come back, Katie” Severus whispered, as another yank pulled Katie into her body, and darkness greeted her in its icy embrace.

……………………………………………

-End vision flashback-

Katie sat in bed that night, staring off into the dark room. She could hear the howls and moans of Remus even in her room. She tried to imagine how much pain he was in, but couldn’t. Dimly, she wondered if he was using the necklace or potion, and if so, if they were working.

The howls abruptly stopped, sending Katie into an eerie silence. She didn’t even have her thoughts to keep her company. For once, Natalie wasn’t snoring, something which Katie would’ve been grateful for at that moment.

Sleep would not come to her; no matter how hard she tried to fall asleep, her mind wouldn’t settle enough. Fingering the snowflake necklace, she noticed that it was still ice cold to the touch. Maybe it was because her skin was always cold. Whatever the case was, she wondered why it was always cold.

Frustrated, Katie kicked off the covered from her legs, and slipped her feet into her slippers. She yanked on a jacket, before exiting the dorm room quietly. No point in sitting in the dark, she thought, still thoroughly annoyed. She walked right past the burning fire, and out the portrait. Taking out her wand, she flicked it slightly in the air. The tip lit up, making the darkness become ablaze with light. Katie waited for the staircase to move her way so she could take it down. The wait seemed painfully long to her for some reason, but when she finally stepped onto the stairs and quickly made her way down, a sort of weight was lifted off of her chest.

Abruptly, the lonliness of the corridors started to seep into Katie, making her shiver. She wished she had Dane with her, or Rowan, or Eos, or anyone basically. If only to keep her company. Which is kinda ironic because I frequently hid away in some dark crevice to escape human contact. Well, she did. Until she started dating Sirius.

Like always, butterflies erupted in her stomach when she though about Sirius. She still couldn’t believe that they were going out. It seemed like only yesterday that she was blushing behind her book, listening to him talking with his friends. Katie didn’t think she had ever been so happy about anything in her life, except when she found out, quite abruptly really, that she was going to be a sister.

It was one of those things that her parents had never planned. Like with her. Both she and Jacob had been accidents, but very happy accidents. Christine always thought she couldn’t have kids, but then one day she realized she was pregnant with Katie. Same with Jacob, except this time she knew she could have children. ‘It just sorta happened’ Katie remembered her mother saying.

And both times, her father had fainted. It was funny, actually. Seeing a grown man faint when he found out her was going to be a father. You’d think after the first time he would be used to it. But…apparently not.

Katie was abruptly pulled from her thoughts by another long, loud howl. Blinking, she found herself staring down at the grounds below. Her feet had carried her all the way to the Astronomy Tower, which kinda surprised her. But then she saw movement on the ground. Highlighted by the clear full moon, Katie could distinctly make out three shapes. The first of a tall, lanky werewolf. Katie would remember the precise coloring of the wolf, and not because of the charm on the bracelet she was wearing. He was tan, with slightly darker brown fur across his back. His eyes were amber, full of fire and fury.

Katie shuddered slightly, before searching for the black dog. He blended into the night, making him nearly invisible. She could just make out his form though, mostly because of his size. He was larger than any normal dog she had seen. Katie wondered what breed he was. Maybe German Shepherd, or a Belgian Sheepdog. Maybe a Newfoundland. Katie shook her head at the last one. He didn’t have the right body structure to be a Newfoundland. Maybe a mutt. He could be a cross between a wolf, German Shepherd, and an Irish Greyhound. Or was it a Scottish Greyhound? Irish Wolfhound? Scottish Wolfhound?

Katie shook her head. Those two dogs always got her mixed up. She then stopped the stag bounding after the wolf and dog. He was so graceful, majestic even. His antlers with wide, probably a 12 or 14 point—or whatever the name was that Americans classified a male deer’s antlers as.

Katie smiled as she watched the black dog playing with the werewolf. They seemed to be having fun, even though the price of such fun did not come without a price. The stag trotted along after them, tossing its head every now and then. The rat was simply too small to be seen, but Katie could imagine he was either scampering after them or he was hitching a ride on the stag’s head.

That thought made Katie smirk slightly. But then another thought made itself know. The sheer stupidity of it unnerved Katie, but it also made her grin excitedly. No, it’s too dangerous, the more sensible part of her mind said instantly.

Who cares about danger? That’s what makes life fun, the reckless side of her retorted.

Why can’t you have fun reading a book? Sensible side groaned.

I should get Natalie to do it with me, Reckless said excitedly, ignoring Sensible.

That’s even worse! Getting your best friend in on this?! Sensible cried.

She won’t argue, Reckless scoffed. Shaking her head to rid herself of the inner battle, Katie turned away from the night. She quickly made her way down the infinite number of stairs. Once at the bottom, excitement took hold of her and had her sprinting through the corridors and up multiple flights of stairs.

Everything was blurred around her; the only thing she could think of was getting to Natalie. Her stomach was churning with anticipation, but also apprehension. Was she really going to risk getting her friend into trouble? Was she really that kind of friend?

You’ve lied to her, a tiny voice whispered. How is this any different?

It’s different because we could get sent to jail, Katie snapped back at the voice. She had lied to Natalie, though. Numerous times. And the guilt never got any better.

Katie sighed as she rushed into the common room—after saying the password hurriedly—and ran up the stairs to the dorm.

Instantly, Katie was at her friend’s bedside, shaking her vigorously. The brunette groaned. “Natalie, wake up.”

“You better have a damn good reason for waking me up at this ungodly hour” Natalie growled, sitting up.

“I do. But we can’t talk here” Katie said, taking her hand. “I know where we can go.”

- - - - - - - - - - - -

“You want to what?!” Natalie nearly shouted once Katie finished explaining her idea. They were sitting in the Room of Requirement, in front of a blazing fire, nestled warmly under several blankets. “This is probably one of the stupidest ideas you’ve ever had! Do you know how much trouble we could get in if we get caught?!”

Katie nodded, hoping that this rant and rave from the brunette would settle soon. “Yes, I know. But I’m going to do this with or without you” Katie said firmly, dead serious. Natalie sighed, rubbing her face.

“I’m not saying that I’m agreeing, but how long would this take?” Natalie asked softly. Katie suppressed a grin, but then frowned lightly.

“They said it took them five years” Katie said slowly. Natalie’s eyes widened and her eyebrows lifted. “But I think we can do it in one. If we try really hard that is. We could start soon, and continue through the summer. I could probably find a book somewhere…” Katie mused the last part out loud, before shaking her head. “I think we can do it, Nat.”

Natalie was silent for the longest time, dazzling hazel green eyes boring right into Katie’s pale blues. She seemed to be thinking extremely hard about it, so hard that a little crinkle had appear between her eyebrows. Finally, after a long silent, Natalie sighed, and nodded. “Okay. I’ll do it.”

Katie grinned, hugging Natalie despite her injuries. “Thank you, Nat.” Natalie smiled softly, hugging her friend back gently.

“You—” she started to say, but Katie cut her off by chuckling.

“I know. I owe you big time.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Oooo. Mysterious, mysterious girls. Lol.
Last one for today.
Enjoy! XD