Sequel: Bleed It Out
Status: Completed. First story I've ever finished!

Falling Into Black

Chapter 43

Months passed. Winter turned to Spring. Warmth replaced the cold. And overcast became sunshine. Most of the students couldn’t focus on the warmth or sunshine because of the fast approaching O.W.L.s. The older students who were taking exams spent most of their time studying their brains out, while the younger ones relaxed. Lucky kids.

Saturday found a slender blonde by herself underneath a large tree by the Black Lake, nose crammed into a thick, brown book. Her hair was up in a loose ponytail with random little strands hanging around her face. Alone is how Katie preferred to study. Away from distractions. Not that her friends were distractions. It’s just that she was the only one taking exams this year and they were bound to try and get her to stop studying. And the only reason she was studying was because she was taking a higher level O.W.L. exam that would greatly help her when she became an Auror. Professor Dumbledore had suggested it, and Katie knew by now not to question that man.

Katie abruptly sighed, leaning her head back against the hard surface of the tree with her eyes closed. After studying for nearly 3 days straight, with hardly any sleep, Katie was exhausted. Not to mention extremely bored. After being accustomed hanging around the Marauders and Natalie all the time, it was strange sitting alone in all of the quiet.

Maybe I could take a little nap out here, Katie thought, sighing again. Sure it wasn’t the most comfortable place in the world, but she was simply too lazy to go up to her dorm to sleep there.

Suddenly, Katie could feel hot air on her ear, breathing deeply. Her eyes flew open, instantly meeting deep grey ones. Startled, Katie let out a squeal as she shoved whoever the owner of those eyes was. Sirius laughed loudly, his bark-like laugh taunting her.

“You’re an arse” Katie snapped, crossing her arms over her chest. Her cheeks were flaming, mostly from anger.

“Aw, come on, love” Sirius grinned, rolling his eyes slightly. “I was just having a bit of fun.”

“Well, while you’re having fun, I’ve been studying my arse of for three days for extra O.W.L.s” she muttered.

“Extra O.W.L.s? What the hell do you need them for?” Sirius asked, raising an eyebrow. Katie huffed.

“So I can be a better Auror” Katie quipped. Sirius raised another eyebrow at her tone.

“Well Miss Snippy, I was coming to see if you’d like to join me and the others in a sneak out to Hogsmead, but now I can see that its someone’s time of the month.” He sang the last bit. Katie glared at him.

“I’m not snippy. I’m tired” Katie hissed. “And no, I don’t want to go to Hogsmead. I have enough going on in my head without having to worry about getting in trouble.”

“You don’t have to take your crankiness out on me” Sirius said, frowning. “I just thought that you’d want a break.”

“Unless you can somehow magically transfer all the words from this book and into my head, then I would be happy to take a break. Until then, I just want to be left alone” Katie said, a bit coldly. Yeah, Katie and lack of sleep didn’t mix.

“Well, fine then” Sirius scoffed, standing up. “Come find me when you lose the attitude.” With that, he angrily walked back up the hill. Katie sighed, rubbing her temples as a headache bloomed.

“Lovely. My boyfriend hates me, my exams are two days from now, and now I have a bloody headache on top of everything” she muttered under her breath. She heard a chuckle above her, and instantly recognized who it was. “Go away, Regulus.”

“Someone’s cranky” he murmured, sitting next to her.

“I’m not cranky!” Katie snapped. Regulus merely smiled at her anger.

“Really? Then I guess you don’t need this energy restoring potion” he shrugged. Katie looked at him, interest peaked. She could really use an energy boost.

“Wait.” Regulus paused in the act of standing, struggling not to smile. Katie sighed. “You’re right. I am cranky. I haven’t slept well over the last few days, and I’m just stressed about my extra O.W.L.s.” Regulus cocked an eyebrow. “I want to be a better Auror” Katie added. He nodded, before handing her the vial.

“Snape made it” he clarified, seeing her cautious expression. “I promise you.” Katie popped off the top, and downed the potion in one go. Instantly, Katie felt the exhaustion leave her body, and smiled.

“Thanks” she murmured. He smiled back.

“You’re welcome” he replied. He then stood, stretching. “Well, I best head off. I have to study for my O.W.L.s too. See you around, Katie.”

“Bye” Katie smiled.

“Try to get some sleep, Katie” he then said. “Bags don’t work for you.” With a wink and a little girly wave, Regulus walked back up the hill. Katie chuckled as she shook her head. But then she sighed.

“Now I have to find Sirius and apologize” she muttered to herself. “He’s probably still pissed off at me...and I’m talking to no one.” Katie shook her head at herself, before walking up the hill as well.

- - - - - - - - -

“How in hell’s creation am I supposed to apologize if I can’t find the bloody git?” Katie groaned to herself, sinking down to the floor next to the wall. Putting her face in her hands, she sighed deeply. I bet he’s avoiding me, she thought. Wouldn’t blame him. The way I’ve been acting to everyone I’d be surprised if I ever saw Natalie again.

“So I just put this in her drink?” a voice whispered around the corner. Katie recognized Regulus’ voice instantly, but she still glanced around the corner to be sure. Yep, it was Regulus. And the person he was talking to was Severus.

“Yes. It’s completely simple. Once she drinks it, she’ll fall in love with you instantly” Severus hissed back. Katie noticed that he both looked and sounded uncomfortable. “But are you sure you want to do this? She could hate you if she finds out.”

“She won’t find out” Regulus said confidently. “And for all you know, I won’t even use it this year. Her relationship is already falling apart.” Severus sighed, raking a hand through his head.

“Gena is keeping him busy, just so you know. But the disguise will wear off in a little bit” he said. Just then, Sirius and...who she guessed was Gena—since Katie was sitting against the wall and not hanging off of his arm—walked around the corner, laughing loudly. Regulus and Severus quickly sunk into the shadows.

“How come you never told me that happened to you?” Sirius asked, wiping at his eyes. Katie—Gena...the chick shrugged, flicking her hair over her shoulder. Which was something Katie would never do. It hurt Katie to think that her own boyfriend didn’t catch it.

“I just didn’t think it was important” Gena said. Katie clenched her teeth. I do not talk that fucking high-pitched!

“You thought that you running away from a bunny rabbit wasn’t important?” Sirius asked, incredulous. Katie’s mouth dropped. I’m not afraid of rabbits, you git! Why don’t you know that?! My best friend had a pet rabbit! I loved that thing![i/]

The bitch impersonating Katie shook her head, but as she did, little strands of black hair started threading themselves through the blonde hair. A panicked expression came over her face, but luckily Sirius didn’t notice. As Katie was about to stalk over to them and give the bitch a piece of her mind, she did something that had Katie’s blood running cold. She kissed him. Full on lip action. And...Sirius kissed back.

Hurt and unsure of what to do, Katie did the only thing she know how to do. She ran. She ran as hard and as fast as she could, away from the two in the corridor. Sirius must’ve realized that the girl was not her, and then saw Katie running away because he called after her. Katie kept running though, ignoring him and everyone else she passed.

Katie ran up and down multiple stairs, until she finally came to her escape. A black door which had dark a staircase leading downward. She didn’t even realize she was crying until she slammed the door shut behind her and locked it, and then felt something wet running down her cheeks. Wiping angrily at her cheeks, she continued down the dark stairwell, the only light coming from the very dim one on the tip of her wand, which she luckily hadn’t left with her bags at the corner.

She pushed open the door at the bottom, and shut it behind her. Unable to stand anymore, she sunk to the floor against the door. Katie honestly didn’t know what to feel as she dropped her head into her hands. Anger, hurt, annoyance (which was more directed to herself), or frustration. So she settled on the one that seemed the most convenient. Nothing. Locking away everything into the deepest recesses of her heart, she dried her cheeks.

This is why I don’t date, Katie thought, standing up. This is why Lily won’t date James. Because boys are stupid and idiotic and clueless and just all around horrible. Katie knew she was being childish, but honestly didn’t give a crap. Katie stopped in front of the mirror, and just stared at her reflection. Her normally warm, pale blue eyes were blank. Expressionless. It scared Katie to look at them.

Just then, Sirius and her parents appeared next to her reflection, smiling as usual. However, the sight of Sirius had rage boiling in her blood. Her limbs began to shake, before Katie lifted her fist and sent it forward into the glass, shattering it into a million pieces. The anger drained out of Katie after a moment of staring at the reflective pieces, leaving her feeling empty.

Her knees buckled from underneath her, and she crumpled to the floor, sobbing into her hands.
♠ ♠ ♠
Meh. Not my favorite chapter. Short, yes, i know. Kinda dramatic. But still. its an update, yes?

Love all of my loyal readers! and could someone tell me how to put a band in a short?