Sequel: Bleed It Out
Status: Completed. First story I've ever finished!

Falling Into Black

Chapter 8

“So, what’s the story?” Natalie asked Katie as they left the Hospital Wing the next morning.

“I don’t know” Katie said. “I tripped? I was bit?”

“Bit by what, I dare ask” Natalie smiled.

“I don’t know” Katie repeated. “A ravenous, poisonous, pit viper/vampire/werewolf/three-headed dog hybrid?” Natalie laughed.

“Oh yeah, cause everyone is going to believe you when you tell them that” she said sarcastically.

“Well, then, what’s your idea?” Katie asked challengingly.

“What happened to you two?” James asked as he and Sirius joined the girls.

“Attacked by giant, ravenous bats” Natalie answered without hesitation. A bubble of laughter escaped Katie’s lips before she could stop it. “She’s really quite messed up in the head right now. Tragic really.”

“Uh huh” the two boys muttered.

“Quidditch practice is today, Natalie” James added. “Around noon.”

“Kay” she chirped. “Not sure how well I’ll do, but I’ll be there.”

“Are you going, Katie?” Sirius asked, smiling a bit, as the two Quidditch fanatics started talking quickly.

“Of course” she answered, smiling her own smile. “I’ve never missed a Quidditch practice before and I’m not about to let a stupid scratch on my leg let it ruin my record.” Sirius frowned, looking down at the bandages around her ankle, before looking back up.

“Does it hurt?” he asked. Katie shrugged.

“Kinda, but only when I put weight on it” she said simply. At that time, Remus and Peter walked up to them. Remus looked guilty, and had a footprint sized bruise on his face. “Hey Remus, Hey Peter” Katie smiled. Peter smiled shyly while Remus merely lifted his hand.

“Miss Scott!” Professor Slughorn called from the end of the hall. Katie froze, eyes peeled wide in panic. She turned quickly, only to see him striding down the hall toward them.

“Professor Slughorn” Katie said breathlessly. “Professor, I’m so sorry. I know I missed detention, but I just spaced. I forgot. I’m so—”

“Katie, Katie” he interrupted, smiling. “It’s alright. Natalie informed me of why you were absent to detention.” Katie looked over her shoulder at Natalie, who was smirking behind her hair. “And you don’t have to serve it tonight. You’re off the hook.” He then winked. “Just don’t tell Professor McGonagall, kay?”

Katie smiled. “Kay. Thank you, Professor” she said. He nodded, then looked around at the others before winking at Katie and walking away.

“Okay, he is officially the most awesome teacher on the planet” Natalie grinned, nudging Katie in the side with her elbow.

“That’s why he’s one of my favorites” Katie said, elbowing her friend back.

___________________

“Go, Nat!” Katie cheered, watching intently as her best friend easily maneuvered around in the air. Katie had never possessed the skill to stay on a broom, let alone try to catch a quaffle and fly at the same time.

“She’s really good” Remus noted. Katie nodded, not taking her eyes off of the practice.

“I know. She’s always been good” she smiled, and then whistled loudly as Natalie made a score through the hoop.

“She’s great” Peter piped up.

“Hey, guys!” Natalie grinned and waved as she flew by. Katie waved back excitedly, grinning just as widely.

~

Meanwhile, Sirius was staring up at the stands from the ground, in awe at the radiating happiness on Katie’s face. She seemed to be glowing with her own light, and her light blonde hair was shining in the sun. He could imagine her eyes would be shining a beautiful blue.

“Beaters up!” James called down as the Chasers landed. Shaking his head, Sirius mounted his broom and kicked off the ground, feeling the familiar weight of the Beater’s bat.

“Go, Sirius!” Katie yelled at the same time as Remus and Peter. He only heard her, though, and grinned in her direction. He could see her blush against her pale cheeks, but grin back. Remus rolled his eyes, but smiled knowingly. For quite some time, Remus had known that Sirius and Katie both liked each other, but had been too afraid to acknowledge it. It was quite annoying, really. Having to constantly watch their secret glances across the classroom.

“Did you see that, Remus?” Katie asked excitedly, shaking his arm frantically. “He hit that bludger all the way out of the Pitch! Did you see it?” Remus looked up into the blonde girl’s shining pale blue eyes, and smiled.

“Yeah, I saw it” he said. She grinned as she turned back to the practice. Remus frowned when he noticed that she was standing mostly on her left foot, and instantly felt guilty. James had told him that he had gotten a hold of her ankle with his claws last night, and that Sirius looked like he was going to tear him apart. Remus hated that it was so easy for him to hurt one of his friends during a full moon.

“Come on, Remus” Katie said hurriedly, pulling him to his feet. “I want to see if he made the team.” She froze, then quickly tried to correct herself, which made Remus smile.

“It’s okay, Katie. I understand” he chuckled. “Come on, Peter” he said, motioning to the plump boy. The three made their way down the stairs to the ground, and where Natalie and Sirius were talking.

“Nat!” Katie squealed, jumping on the girl’s back, causing both girls to fall on the ground.

“Katie, you had sugar this morning, didn’t you?” Natalie laughed, sitting up. Katie giggled, holding up her thumb and index finger.

“Just a tad” the blonde said, grinning widely. Natalie, rolling her eyes, reached down and helped her friend up. “You did great, Nat. I’m so proud of you.” Someone cleared their throat, causing the girls to turn. Sirius smirked, opening his arms.

“Don’t I get a hug? I think I did pretty good” he stated. Katie rolled her eyes, but walked/limped forward to wrap her arms around his large torso. Sirius breathed in deeply, imprinting the lemony-honeysuckle scent into his mind.

“You did awesome” Katie murmured, before pulling away. Sirius pulled away reluctantly, feeling cold without her warmth.

“Hey, what about me?” James grinned, walking up to the group.

“What about you?” Natalie smirked, earning a laugh from Katie. “You don’t need anymore praise. Your ego is already bigger that your head.” He scowled while the others laughed.

“Anywho” Remus interrupted before the two could start arguing. “James, did those two make the team?” James rolled his eyes.

“Duh. Don’t they always?” he smirked. Katie squealed, squeezing Natalie as the two jumped up and down. The guys noticed that Katie’s leg didn’t even seem to hurt, until they pulled away and she bent to message it.

“Congratulations” Remus smiled, patting Sirius on the back and giving Natalie a hug.

“Now what?” Katie asked. “Nat and I would always either sneak into Hogsmead, or we just hang out in the common room. I don’t know what ya’ll do, but I think we could work something out. So what do you want to do? I wanna—”

Natalie cut off her friend’s babbling by putting a hand over her mouth. “Sorry, guys” Natalie said sheepishly. “She gets a bit…”—she made a crazy motion behind her ear—“when she has too much sugar. And Madame Pomfrey gave her something to help with the injury and Katie said it tasted sweet. Guess it had sugar.” Katie nodded.

“It’s okay” James grinned. “Sirius gets like that sometimes.” Remus groaned.

“Ohmygod, it’s so horrible. He just goes on and on and on about something no one even knows what he’s talking about.” Sirius glared at his so-called ‘friend’.

“James is the same way, except with Lily” Sirius shot back. Katie pulled Natalie’s hand away.

“I think, secretly, Lily likes you, James” Katie stated. “You just gotta deflate that ego of yours and be nice. Don’t ask her out every second of the day.” James blinked.

“Okay, thanks Katie” he smiled. “I’ll keep that in mind.”

“You’re welcome” she smiled back. “And FYI, girls hate guys with big egos.” Natalie nodded in agreement, looking pointedly at Sirius. Right, Sirius thought. Rule #1, less ego.
♠ ♠ ♠
Another, just because i'm bored. I wish i had something to do.
Anywho, hope you like this story. it'll pick up soon, i think. idk. i can't exactly remember the lay-out of this story.