Sequel: See You Smile

You Plus Me

question for you

As you read this, try to remember the memories, taste the summer sun and the frigid cold of the rink, listen for the laughter, and see the thoughts and words of me.

Memories run through my brain easily from the summer to now: dancing on tables, stolen photos that cause chases around the park, ice skating, messing around with Kelsey, calling Ian a jacknap, and just being us.

Choosing favorites is such an unfair gesture, but there are several that make the cut: questions and dares, falling on my ass in the middle of the ice, you hitting yourself with the cup, ‘you’ battles, “sloppy hoe”, “sweetie”, Kelsey and her jacknap tendencies, blasting songs in the car, our first date, the summer, and everything else.

Your hand around mine, your smell on my sweatshirt, your grin printed forever in my photos. These are all things I love.

In the last week, I’ve almost slipped so many times it’s crazy. Just the other night, we were talking about snapshots. I nearly slipped right then: “Oh, you know I…..’m only messing with you”

That pause was my brilliant save.

My brain may be the one that is making these thoughts appear. However, it is not the one in control of the fingers that type this.

It’s unbelievable how quickly our relationship has taken off. Maybe it’s because we’ve known each other since June or maybe because we fit together just right.

Teenagers today seem to throw those three words as though they mean absolutely nothing to them and I don’t want to be like that. I grew up with them around every corner and know when I say them, I mean them.

I know we still have so much to go through together, but I want to ask you one simple question that's been running through my head.

When is it the right time to say I love you?