No Line On The Horizon and 21st Century Breakdowns Makes For Endless Perspectives and 22nd Century Revolutions

Bonoita

Two girls’ father’s both lead powerful bands. One is an 80’s alternative, the other a mid-90’s alt-punk one. Both girls are in their twenties when life brings them together. This was the story of a lifetime. And now it unfolds, for you, my friends.

My name is Sophia Hewson. I am one of the daughters of Paul (Bono) and Noelani Hewson. My sister is Memphis Eve. My father is Bono, the lead singer of U2, an 80’s alt-rock band. My father’s friends David “The Edge” Evans, Adam Clayton, and Larry Mullen Jr. are also in the band. David’s kids Sian and Levi and Larry’s daughters Aaron Elvis and Ava are my friends. This is the story of how we formed a band.

My sister and I were both born the year my dad’s band released their fifth album. It was called “The Joshua Tree”. Years later we would often go to the basement and meet up with Sian, Levi, (both a year younger than us) Aaron and Ava (two years younger then us) and watch them practice. One day, we were sitting downstairs when Sian said, “Hey, what if we made our own band?”
“Are you insane?” Levi asked.

“I think it’s a cool idea.” I added.

“Yeah.” Memphis said.

“Okay…names. Anybody want to change their’s?” Sian asked.

“Yeah.” I said. “I want to be… hmm…I want to be…uh….”

“Give it a bit. We’re not gonna get big overnight, you know.” My sister said. So I waited.

In Spanish class at school, we were learning adjectives. My ‘mate, Benjamin, was trying to say a compliment. He said to me, “Usted está bonita. I mean ugly. Usted está feo. FEO!” It was too late. Ben had said pretty. And the way he said it, it sounded like Bono-ita. Bono! Wait, that’s it! That’s my band name! Bonoita. One stupid mistake in class leads to a name. Wow. The next time I saw the others, I told them.
“That’s a bit, I dunno, done already!” Sian said, motioning toward my dad.

“Not really.” Levi argued.

“Okay. Your name is now Bonoita. Mine is Elvis.” Said Aaron.

“Ours is Twistin’ and Turnin’.” Said Sian and Levi at the same time. Ava spoke next.

“Mine is the same. Ava.” My sister nodded.

“I’m still Memphis Eve.” Now we needed to take instruments. Twistin’ and Turnin’ took the position of twin lead guitars, my sister took the job of bass guitar, and Elvis would be rhythm guitar. Ava would play the drums. I would take the same place as my father, as lead singer. I told my father about our plan, and he thought it was a good idea. Soon we were practicing downstairs with our fathers as a U2 cover band. But we needed to have our own stuff. So we all sat down in my room and started writing our own music. My father invited us to one of their concerts to see how it was like to play live. We went with them. They opened with “Where the Streets Have No Name.”

Next they played “Pride (In The Name Of Love).”
After that they played “Tomorrow” from 1981’s October.
After this then played New Year’s Day from their War CD.
The next song would be their closer. Bono started singing “Mysterious Ways.”

Bono paused, as Edge started the guitar solo. Bono grabbed my hand, taking me onstage. I knew what he wanted. So I began to dance, moving my hips rhythmically with the beats of Larry’s drums, walking forward while my father backed up to go around the stage, a smile spreading across my face. Bono started singing again, and eventually the song ended
I clapped as they bowed, and Bono lifted me onto his shoulders. The years went by. Soon we were asked to go see another concert. Not just see, but to perform. We would be the closing act. My dad even said we could sing some of the set that they would regularly do.
After that about 15 songs, U2 left the stage. The curtains dropped.
“Ready team?” I called.

“Ready!” They called back. It was our time to shine. We would open with “I Still Haven’t Found What I’m Looking For.” I took the mic, talking to the crowd.

“Thanks for coming out tonight, but we’d like to sing you something we wrote. You ready?” After the song, that we played called ‘Days Glory Lost’ we preformed our closer. It was Beautiful Day, from 2001’s All That You Can’t Leave Behind.

The crowd cheered as the song ended and we bowed. U2 came out from backstage and lifted us up onto their shoulders. As my father held me and his friends held my friends, I knew at that moment, that Sophia “Bonoita” Hewson had found her place in the music world. And what a Beautiful Day that was. I couldn’t let it get away. So I didn’t. I kept it, and turned my dreams into reality.
♠ ♠ ♠
* don't own U2 or songs mentioned *