Status: completed

Damn Regrets

002

From that moment on, after our walk home that spring, Lily and I became the best of friends. We told each other our deepest darkest secrets, and I changed the way she dressed and looked. She was once an ugly duckling and I felt like a fairy godmother who transformed her into a beautiful and stunning swan. Many eyebrows rose when they saw us, wondering why on earth the most famous girl in school and the ugly duckling became the best of friends. It seemed so ironic, but who cares? It’s not their problem, either.

My life seemed happier since my friendship with Lily. Everything was simple, like you’re living in a country where fresh air is abundant. I didn’t have to pretend to be someone I couldn’t be. I never had a friend like her, and I had the best moments in my life with her. I discovered her horrible past, which made my heart soften with sympathy.

“My mom used to beat me every day, not until my dad saved me and we fled away. But my dad died when I was thirteen, so I was forced to live with my godparents. They always abuse me verbally, that’s why I’m like this right now.” she once said to me.

As months went by, our friendship became stronger. We were living like we were the only people in the world on earth, and we treated each other like we were sisters. Within that time, a storm caused us to drift apart.

Corey Aniston, a senior student in our school, was the one guy who broke the friendship between Lily and I. Yeah, he was a handsome guy, a consistent honor student and a member of the school varsity, but he was the world’s worst cheater. He first courted me, then dated me and said that he loved me. I opened everything up to Lily. She was the one girl I could trust, you know. She was happy for me.

For the first two months of my relationship with Corey, I was happy and contented. But then when Valentine’s Day came, a painful realization hit me. Corey cheated on me…and worst yet, it was Lily-my best friend- was Corey’s other woman.

I saw them from a distance, kissing each other passionately right before my eyes.
It was the worst view I ever saw.

After that, Corey and Lily explained everything to me. Lily said Corey forced her, but I never listened to her. She was happy for the two of us but how could she do this to me? I treated her as my best friend, and this was what I got. Corey kept on denying what happened.
I was alone again. I never listened to them, and people started to talk about me, and sometimes, laugh at me. The famous was now out of the spotlight. Now, a nobody.
I still had the courage to smile, amidst of the betrayal that happened to me. I didn’t want to talk to either Corey or Lily, or even listen to their lame excuses. I was so sick of it, until one day, an accident happened.

I learned that Lily died in her room. She took all the pills that were supposed to be for her uncle’s high blood pressure. She also drank a poison that totally ended her life. A letter written in free hand was folded beside Lily’s lifeless body.

Cass,
Thanks for being a friend to me. You were the only friend I ever had. The truth between Corey and I is that he lied to me that he broke up with you. I was carried away and had fallen in love with him. I never thought this would happen to me, and to both of us. I’m sorry, Cass. I really am. Goodbye.
Love,
Lily

Tears began to stream down my cheeks. I lost a friend…one true friend who showed me the real joy and pain of friendship, the one who showed me the other side of the world, the one who taught me that being famous is nothing compared to genuine happiness. I never listened to her, not even once, and it really made me feel guilty. I wanted to wake her up, to be with me again, but I just couldn’t take it back. What’s done is done. She was dead. I had to accept that.

The sky began to compress, forming a gray view in the sky. I still looked at Lily’s grave. My heart was full of regrets, for letting her go, for wasting a friendship that would have lasted forever. I won’t forget Lily Dwyer who really changed my life.

I left the cemetery before the sky would cry on earth.

THE END:[
♠ ♠ ♠
sorry for the shortness!haha! hope you had fun reading!