Reservoir

Kitten.

He goofed. The night before in his drunken rambling, he dissed Texas. It was here home and the place she planned on living before John begged her to move to Arizona. SHe wasn’t drunk however, and grew upset with him. After trying to apologize, he made the mistake again, calling her state another name.

When he woke up that morning, she had turned away from his touch, obviously more upset than he thought. When he mumbled her name, Tania ignored him or told him to leave her alone. When he sat up to see her, running a hand across her hip, she told him to fuck off. That’s when John pouted, climbing from their bed and leaving the room.

John had to fix it so instead of rushing off to get her flowers or candy like he had before, he tried a different route. They already had their massive puppy, Nolan, but anytime to two passed a pet store, Tania would go on and on about the small creatures and how she wanted to them all.

“You better work,” He glanced down at the box from the road, petting the orange kitten, watching it curl into his hand. “I need her to forgive me.”

The drive was quiet, other then the kittens meow-ing and the radio’s buzzing. When he pulled in the driveway, he looked apprehensively at the cat. Petting it again, he glanced back up, watching the house.

Walking in, he looked around, balancing the box in one hand and his keys filling the other. “Tania, baby--”

“Go away.” She groaned from the living room.

He turned towards the room, the cat meowing and him hushing up. The television was on, Tania’s favorite show playing. She slouching into the couch, a scowl on her face, her eyes looking at his. “Do you not know what go away mean, John?”

He didn’t answer, instead pulling the kitten from the box and cradling it in his hands. Her face dropped and then a large smile appeared. “A kitten?” She squealed, looking up at him.
“You like her?” John bit his lip, handing her the small creature. “I wasn’t sure between the orange and the grey--”

Tania hushed him, petting the cat over and over, sitting down on the couch again and resting it in her lap. Nolan walked over, pressing his nose to the animal, giving him a lick. “Oh my god John, even Nolan likes her.”

That’s when he figured it was all okay again. He sat down beside her, wrapping his arm over her and watching her coo the cat. “So what do you wanna name her?”

“Oh my god.” She spoke again, glancing up at him and giving him a peck. “I get to name it too?”

He nodded, brushing his hand across her legs, stroking the animal. “Of course, just not Hitler, baby.” He remembered when they got Nolan and she insisted she needed to name a pet after her favorite dictator but John told her no, knowing how weird it would be in front of strangers.

“Aries.” She whispered, “Aries O’Callaghan.”

John smirked, repeating the name as he leaned in, enjoying the feeling of her lips again.
♠ ♠ ♠
January 23 2011.
proof Em can't write a decent fight/make up.