Reservoir

Nolan's Birthday.

“Happy Birthday!” He heard the group of people sing out when he came in the door, switching the box in his hands. The kitten greeting him at the door, meowing for some of the cat food in his hand. John set the box of things down on the chair by the door and crouched down to put the kitten.

“What’s going on, Ar?” He asked, picking the recent addition to the house up in one arm and then grabbing the box, proceeding into the kitchen again.

“Happy birthday Nolan, Happy birthday to you.” He heard the group sing, not realizing the crowd of people in the kitchen, packed in around his German Shepherd. There were birthday decoration hung, a large white, sheet cake sitting on the table in the other room.

John caught the attention of his smiley girlfriend, her hand holding onto the dog’s leach that kept him in the center of all the people. She seemed to have invited everyone. His band mates leaned in the kitchen, arms around their girlfriends. Emily and Kennedy’s crazy Corgi, Peanut, running through the house and Melanie and Garrett’s new Husky puppy, Henry, in Garrett’s arms.

“Tania,” John yelled over the crowd, involuntarily getting the attention of his friends and bandmates. “...The fuck?”

He watched her navigate through their friends, both Melanie and Emily giving them reassuring smiles. They were involved. And when Garrett and Kennedy watched her as intently as they did, he knew they’d helped set this up in the half hour he was going. The cat still clung to his side, the small Corgi barking at it.

“Ken!” He yelled again, getting his friend’s attention too. “Could you deal with Peanut?”

Kennedy sent him a smirk before giving Emily a look and she shuffled to John’s side, scooping up the dog and taking him towards the screened door. Once the corgi was outside, he set Aries down on the floor and watch it run to the stairs quickly.

“What’s going on?” John questioned, pulling Nolan’s leach from her hand and looping it over his wrist. “Nolan’s birthday?”

Tania giggled, looking back at her friends and patting the German Shepherd on the head. “It’s his birthday, John.” She stood on her tiptoes, pressing a light kiss to his lips and holding the sides of the jacket he hadn’t slipped off yet. “We had to celebrate it.”

“He’s a dog.” John stated, looking at her with confusion knit into his brows.

Tania pulled done a bit on his jacket, sending him a glare and then peck him again. He knew she wouldn’t stop. They were her babies and she planned on celebrating everything like she was their parent and they were human. “The best dog ever.”

♠ ♠ ♠
January 24, 2011.