Reservoir

Fight.

He never had straight-up refused a party until tonight. Tania ignored the first series of protests and made him dinner, shutting him up for awhile. An hour after she finished cleaning up the dishes, he started again, trying to come up with some excuse for them to skip out but she brushed the words off and got dressed, telling him to do the same. However, when she came out of the bedroom to see John still sitting on the couch, the kitten in his lap and the remote in her had she started getting frustrated.

“Get up.” She walked over, snatching the device from his hand and tossing it aside. “We’re going now go get dressed.”

John just slid further back into the couch, crossing his arms over his chest. “No.” He spoke defiantly, looking up at her. “I’m not going, Tania.”

Her jaw tightened at the words, frustration thick in her limbs. “Dammit John, just go put a collared shirt on.” Her voice rose, her fists balling.

“Nope.” He mumbled, picking up the sleeping cat and setting her on the cushion beside him, reaching for the remote in the process. “I’m not sitting through another round of verbal abuse from your dumb friends.”

She knew how frustrated he got when Melanie and Emily got drunk and starting making fun of people. They’d start with their own boyfriends, both of whom would just shut them up with their lips and then they’d switch, Emily making fun of Garrett nonexistence fat and Melanie making fun of Kennedy’s lack of intelligence. Then after their boyfriends would shoo them away, they’d make their way to John, tag-teaming in the name-calling. He was sick of it.

“You’re really gonna refuse to go to a party, with your girlfriend who you rarely get to see anymore because were so busy and free drinks just because they tease you.” She threw her hands up, exasperated, turning from him only to have her hips grabbed and John flip her around.

“I just get sick of it,” He tried to stay calm so she would too, except his lack of emotion only seemed to rile her up more, twisting out of her grasp.

“Maybe they’re right then, John.” She stamped into the kitchen, opening the fridge and pulling out a bottle of water, twisting the lid off. “Fucking pussy.”

He stood from the couch, his bare feet loud against the hardwood floors. The loud noises and screaming voice wake Nolan and Aries, both of whom scurried from the room to find a more peaceful setting. “Tania, what the fuck?” His voice was loud too, vibrating around the dark house. He could see the frown grown across her lips as she took a swig from the bottle. “This is fucking bullshit.”

“No, it’s not, John. It’s a fucking party with our friends. It matters to me that we make an appearance and you don’t give a fuck. You’d rather just sit around and pamper the damn cat and make out.” She set the bottle of water on the countertop behind her. “Time to grow up.”

His jaw tightened too then, “I have no problem going to the parties. But when fucking Emily and Melanie are there, drunk, and Ken and Gar are too busy getting drunk to control their girlfriends. I don’t wanna go.”

“Can’t handle a little joking, John?” She ran her fingers through her hair. “I mean what’s the worse thing they call you? A pussy? Too skinny? Oh my god, how do you handle such cruelty?” Tania was mocking him, making him more angry. “Because they have so much leverage over your life.”

Tania went through the other doorway, coming out in the makeshift study and into the foyer, grabbing her coat.

“Tania, wait.” He groaned, a hand rubbing over his face, trying to calm down. “Just please can’t we stay home? Please, I know you’re exhausted and you really don’t care about getting drunk with a bunch of people tonight.”

She gave him a look, stern and heavy. He knew he wasn’t winning. he knew that she wouldn’t let it go either. Tania had every right to want this, but all he wanted was a little recognition, for her to notice, or even better, to defend him, from their harsh words. Tania was someone who could send them away and back into the arms of Kennedy or Garrett, making them leave him alone.

“No.” She stated, fishing for the keys she didn’t expect to need from her purse, “It’s not about that, John. It’s about having friends, getting out. Plus they’re our friends, sober or not. You’re not any gem when you’re drunk either and I don’t see them putting up such a hissy fit about seeing you.”

John sighed, seeing the tears prickle at Tania’s eyes. He didn’t mean to upset her like that. It was only something he wanted to bring up but he picked the wrong time. He gave her a smile, reaching for her forearm, and pulling her to him. “Hey” he whispered, cupping her cheeks and brushing his thumbs across her cheeks. “I’m sorry.” He pressed a gentle kiss to her lips. “You’re right.” He mumbled into another kiss, feeling the smile crack through. “I’ll go change really quick okay? Then we can go.”

Tania nodded, kissing him one finally time before he jogged to their room and slipped into a nice shirt and came back out minutes later, keys in hand. “Ready?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Lame. Sorry Tania, didn't turn out the way I wanted it to.
January 25, 2011.