Reservoir

Birthday.

The day was perfect. It was her birthday. She woke up to John making her pancakes and the table already set. He helped her clean the house, doing most of the work and letting her sit by and relax. John promised months before that he’d help her repaint their white living room so he finally followed through on that, spending his afternoon with her, painting their living room the olive green she’d always wanted the room to be.

Afterward, he promised her he’d take her out to a nice restaurant to celebrate. He wore his tie and suspenders, making sure she slipped into a nice dress and heels. She didn’t know he had planned for their friends to meet them there for a small birthday get-together. John worked on these plans weeks in advance, securing the spot in the small restaurant for their big party and having a bakery supply a German Chocolate Cake. It was perfect.

“Baby, c’mon, we gotta go.” He spoke through the door, his eyes looking at his watch. “We were supposed to leave 15 minutes ago.”

She didn’t answer, pulling the door open while pulling the cardigan over her shoulders, a smile on her lips. “Ready.” She pecked his lips, watching him start to move towards the door. “Did you put Nolan out?”

John sent her a confused glance, stopping his movements towards the door, “No. Why should he be out?”

Giggling, she picked up the kitten from the floor and set it in the room behind her, closing the door quickly behind her. “We just painted the living room, baby,” She said before John could object to his cat being locking in their room. “Do you want Nolan and Aries to be olive green?”

He walked away then, going down the steps quickly, and putting their large German Shepherd outside. Not waiting any longer, he proceeded to the front door, saying her name one more time before exiting the house and heading to the car. It wasn’t long after when she made her way down the walkway, climbing into the passenger seat of his car. Tania laced their hands over the center console, sending him a small, thankful smile as he started backing out of their driveway and into the street. They both stayed silent on the read, Tania watching out the window as John navigated the way to the location, brushing his thumb over her knuckles every few seconds.

To her surprised, John pulled off the highway before their exit, sending her a small smile. “John, what the hell?” She looked at him, confused. “I thought we were going to Sala?”

“We are.” He smiled, driving the car into a small shopping complex and finding a parking spot. “I just thought we’d get your present first.”

He walked her into the store, hands over her eyes. “Now, I know I already got the new stuff for the living room for your birthday,” He pulled her back into his chest more, whispering into her ear, “But I thought I’d let you pic out on more thing.” When he pulled his hands away, kissing her cheek, she looked out. Shoes. Tons of shoes for her to look at, to try on. “Any pair you want, baby, and they’re yours.”

Tania’s smiles grew and she stepped out of his grasp. He’d done so much for her already today. he bought the paint for the living room. A few days before, they went and picked out new furniture for the room, deciding on a new couch, entertainment cabinet, and area rug to fill the space. He painted the room and spent the day cleaning whatever she wanted. Her birthday had been perfect. “John, this is so sweet but too much--”

John pressed his finger to her lips, stopping her words. “I want to okay? I know how you love shoes and I see you always looking at them online. Just lemme buy you a pair for once.”

She was tempted to argue but when he dropped his finger from her lips and gave her his smile, she decided to not argue, wandering into the store. Tania tried one a pair of pumps that she’d seen online and then a pair of boots she hadn’t seen before. Both pairs John liked too, giving her the smirk of approval when she tried them on. But she put both pairs back when she saw the black pumps she’d wanted on display in the back. When she tried them on and asked John, he did more than his usual nod or smile, he leaned down to where she sat on the bench, kissing her lips and running a hand over her knee where her dress rose up a bit. “Get those.” He whispered, picking up the box.

His hands slid down her leg and John’s fingers grazed her skin as he crouched in front of her, pulling the shoe from her foot. “I’ll meet you in the car, baby.” He whispered as he put the shoe back into the box and walked to the counter to check-out.

She went back to the car, waiting for him to climb back in. It took a few minutes for him to return with the bag in hand, the smile covering his face. John put the shoes in the trunk before climbing back in the front seat and leaning across the console. Before she could ask him anything, John connected their lips, brushing his lips down her neck, making her giggle.

“What?” He whispered, coiling his arms around her. “What’s funny?”

“Your ‘stache, baby.” Her words stopped briefly when he kissed her, making him smile. “It tickles.”

John smiled wider, inhaling her scent. “But you love it, right?”

“Of course,” Tania watched out the window, trying to focus on the sinking sun, “it makes you look like a Civil War soldier, from the South...a southern gentleman.”

“Then you’re my southern belle.” He said as he pulled away, pressing a quick kiss to her lips before turning into the seat, pulling his seatbelt across him. They stayed silent as he drove, his hand then resting across her thigh, brushing the bit of skin he could push aside.

When they got to the restaurant, Tania immediately recognized the cars in the park lot. Her friends had come. John sent her a smile when she questioned him on how they got there, not bothering to answer. When they walked inside she tried again, pestering him during the walk and when he pulled the door open. He hushed her when he told them the party name, the host ushering them to the back of the restaurant into a small room.

Everyone yelled “Happy Birthday” when she walked in, the blush rising up her cheeks when all the eyes looked at her. His band was here, along with her friends. She smiled at them, thanking them all for coming before sitting in the chair John had pulled out for her. They all talked around the table, only stopping briefly when the appetizers filled the middle of the table. John’s arm rested around the back of her chair, his hand brushing over the skin on her arm when he’d talk to the crowd, telling them stories that they’d all laugh at. Her wine glass stayed full, John telling her to drink enough for the two of them since he was driving. They all grew completely silent when the main course came, the food making up for the lack of noise.

“John loves that damn cat more than anything.” Garrett chuckled out, wrapping his arm tighter around Melanie and picking up her glass of wine in front of her to take a sip. “Probably more than a microphone.”

“More than a guitar.” Kennedy added, working on his own beer.

Tania giggled at them, resting her head on his shoulder. “It’s cute,” She cut off Kennedy’s next comment, looking up at him. “I love that he loves Aries so much.”

Both Garrett and Kennedy rolled their eyes while Emily and Melanie teased him briefly before the guys interrupted him. “So much so that his phone’s background’s Aries?” Garrett fired back at her. “I’m sorry but that’s a little--”

“And what’s your background, hm Gar?” Tania interrupted, draping an arm across his chest. “Ryan Adams shit, right? and you, Ken? Your monstrous, insane Great Dane and obnoxious Corgi, right?” She watched them sheepishly look away, directing their attention back to their girlfriends and shutting up.

When the birthday cake came out, everyone sang “Happy Birthday” and she blew out the candles John insisted she had. They ate cake, talking about John and the bands plans for future months. Kennedy and Emily were the first to go, Kennedy’s drunk slur annoying Emily enough to pull him out. Then Garrett and Melanie left, followed by each member, their girlfriends in hand. They all said goodbye, reminding her to have a nice night.

“This was so fun.” Tania held his hand as they walked out the restaurant, John stuffing his wallet into his back pocket. “We should do that every week.”

John sent her a tired smile, holding the door open, and allowing her to walk through. “That would be exhausted.”

When they got to car, John went to open the door, but Tania didn’t let him. She stood against it, pulling him by his tie so he should centimeters from her. “Thank you, John.” She whispered, reaching up for his collar so he leaned over, lips near hers. “You’ve done so much,” Her lips press gently to his as she keep talking, “how will I ever beat this?”

John only smirked, pushing down into her lips, kissing her hard. She leaned back a little, resting her back against the door as his hand touched her waist. Tania played with hair at the base of his neck, tickling his skin and making him smile into the kiss.

“So this is why you kept filling up my win glass, huh?” She giggled when he moved to her neck, pulling her hair aside. “You wanted me wasted.”

She could feel him smile and hear his scoff. John only continued pressing kisses to her neck. His hands snaking down her hip to the bottom of her dress, pulling it up slightly and sliding his hands up under the fabric. His kisses grew harder in the few seconds that passed, sucking gently once he found a spot he liked.

“John,” She whispered, pushing gently at his chest so he had to step away, hand dropping from her skirt. “Not here.”

Ignoring her, he stepped closer again, reconnected their lips and hands returning to their spot. He could still taste the wine and cake icing on her lips, making him want her even more. His hands climbed up her waist this time, her bra guiding his fingers around to her back. Once he reached the clasp, Tania stopped again, John’s hands falling in defeat.

“We’re not Em and Kenny, baby.” She spoke when she saw his disappointed look. “We’re too classy to just...fuck in a parking lot.” Her arm wrapped around him in a hug. “Don’t you wanna be a classy man?”

John nodded, despite the frown still across his face. “It was those shoes,” He confessed, blushing slightly. “Those damn shoes, I just...I couldn’t stop myself.”

Tania chuckled into him, “Well, how ‘bout we go home and I can try them on again for you.”

The words sent John into a dash, pulling her far enough away from the car to open the door and push her into the car, pecking her lips lightly and slamming the door. John hopped into his seat seconds later, pulling his seatbelt across him and turning on the car. The car flew down the road, John’s hand resting across her upper thigh and a think smirk settled on her lips.

John rushed from the car when they got back, going from her door, to the trunk, to the front door faster than Tania expect. He handed her the bag, pulling her gently towards the stairs.

“Wait, baby.” She giggled, letting go of his hand, “We gotta let Nolan in.”

John groaned, trying to wrap his arm around and continue to their bedroom. “He’s fine, Tania. C’mon.”

She twisted away again, walking towards the back door with a smirk. John listened to her voice as she said the dog’s name, a series of kissing noises following. “Nolan?” She tried again, a bit of worry laced into her voice. “Where are you?”

Her boyfriend’s eyebrows scrunched together as he stepped from his spot towards the steps and into the kitchen. Tania was half out the door, looking into their backyard. “Nol?” She tried again, “Come here, bud, time to come inside.”

His hands pulled her from the doorway and he stepped out into the yard, repeating the dog’s name. “I’ll go get him.” John mumbled gruffly, stepping from the back deck and into the grassy yard.

Circling the yard once, he didn’t see their pet. John’s eyes shot open when he saw the side gate open, the lock pulled up. Their dog had escaped. John ran back to the house, slipping in the doorway to see his worried girlfriend standing there. “Did you find him?”

This was his fault. He left the gate open that afternoon when he and his dad carried in their new furniture. In the rush of finishing things up, he must have forgotten to make sure it was closed. She was always reminding him though, anytime he used the side gate to take the trash cans to the street or carry in amps and instruments she would nag him about it. The one time she didn’t, he did forget.

“The uh, g-gait.” He looked away, hoping to not see her disappointed scowl. “Nol-, must have...uh, gotten o-out.”

Tears rushed to her eyes, “What?” The question was almost unbearable for him to hear. “What do you mean ‘the gate’? Didn’t you latch it?”

Slowly, John shook his head, trying to not look at her. He ruined their perfect day over his stupidity. He should have checked he gate. He should have made sure it was locked. He should have insisted on keeping the dog inside while they left. “He’s probably just with Bruno or in the Wilson’s backyard again.” John tried, offering her a hug that she slipped out of.

“You better hope so.” Her jaw tightened, the smile she wore all day gone. “Because if my dog, out dog, is g-gone, or...or hurt, John, I’m gonna...” Her words were interrupted by a sob, her body leaning forward to wipe the tears. “Go get my dog, John. Go get our boy.”

Guilt filled him again, and he stepped towards her, hugging her gently. “I’m sorry.” He whispered, kissing the top of her head. “I didn’t mean to.”

The hug ended then as she went to hit his chest hard, frowning at him. “I don’t care, John.” Her words were heavy to his ears, and the pain that ran through his chest from where her palm hit him didn’t even matter. He hated seeing her upset. “I don’t care that your sorry. Go get my dog. Go.”

She watched him look at her again, trying to apologize without saying it but she didn’t care. John slipped away, grabbing his coat and a leash from the hook and leaving. That was her dog. They’d gotten Nolan when they first started dating. The dog had been with them through their three years of dating and one break up. He snuggled beside her after their fights and on the long nights when John was gone touring. Nolan was her boy, her dog, her child. While John felt a special bond to the kitten he’d gotten her, Tania felt that same tug to the German Shepherd.

He returned a half hour later to Tania standing in the kitchen still, wiping away the tear trails. The dog’s nails hit the wood floors of the foyer, John holding the leash when Tania approached them, reaching for the dog. She squealed, pressing a kiss to it dog’s neck. "Where was he?”

John sighed, watching her smile. “With Bruno.” He mumbled, exhaling. “Mrs. Norris didn’t even know he was out there.”

Tania cooed at the dog, kissing its head and letting it go from the leash. “Never run away again, Nolan. Okay?” She pet him again and again as John stood by, waiting to know if she was still upset at him for his error.

The dog left her when she let go, wandering into the kitchen for its water bowl. Tania turned to look at him, a smile on her face. “I’m sorry, John.” She reached for his tie, pulling him to her, “I shouldn’t have hit you.”

“I deserved it.” He mumbled when her arms snaked around him. “I should have checked the gate, like you always tell me.”

“You’re right,” she frowned. “You should’ve. And you didn’t. And our boy got out for who knows how long, doing god knows what.” She smirked then, pecking his lips. “But he’s back and home and safe and now, you’ll never leave the gate open again, right?”

His hands rested on her hips, pressing her body to him. “Never again.” He whispered, kissing her back. “That’s gate will be triple checked.”

“Good.” She said, pulling away and slipping from his touch. “Now why don’t you go make sure that gate’s locked while I run upstairs and work on that thing we talked about earlier.”

After the dog getting out, John thought his chances of getting any from her were gone. But from the way she bit her lip and slipped from his touch, he knew his chances came back. John walked away and back out the back door, being careful the dog didn’t follow him. He could only wonder what she was doing, his curiosity getting the best of him. When he was sure the gate was shut tight, the latch secure he walked back inside.

He went upstairs, pulling down on the knot of his tie and unbuttoning the top button from his shirt. When he made it into their bedroom, he saw her. The shoes he had gotten her, one of his white, oxford shirts hanging from her shoulders, his favorite lacy bra on her. “Gate locked?”

John nodded as she stepped closer, lifting the flaps of his collar up so she could slip the black, skinny tie away. “Good.” She whispered into his ear, pulling him over a bit to slip the article off.

Before he got the chance to say anything else, Tania’s lips were connected to his and his arms were coiled around her.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just wrote a 3,100 word oneshot in less then 8 hours. wtaf. I owe two people oneshots and I just did this. shhhhh don't tell.
February 5, 2011.