Reservoir

Family Visit.

It was a family tradition. The last Saturday of every month meant an afternoon at the O’Callaghans with John’s family. Ever since they started dating, John’s family had welcomed her into their home, treating her like a daughter. His brothers came too, Ross and his wife and young son, along with younger Shane coming home from ASU. John’s mom and dad always hosted the event, planning the meals and activities.

The grill was on, John’s dad stood by it with a pair of tongs, nursing the steaks into their cooked state. His mom sat by Tania and Ross’s wife, Alice, holding their young son, Jack and talking vibrantly of the boys’ childhood. John, along with Shane and Ross were in the pool, pushing each other under and splashing the other like they were 12. Tania watched John, holding her glass of wine and John’s beer.

She loved how light the visits were, how easy it was to talk to his parents. Going to her house never went well, her father was constantly berating John about his career choice, leaving both of them exhausted when they’d get home and almost always sparked some fight between them. Here though, with John’s family, she felt at home. John didn’t need to be glued to be her side and he wasn’t constantly reassuring her that they like her, she knew they did. They’d ask her about school and work, laughing at how “wiped” John was since they’d met. It was never about how they got their finances or their future spending.

John’s dad called the family to the table, setting the steaks onto a serving platter and then to the stone buffet. The boys pulled themselves from the pool, grabbing towels to dry off. Tania rose, stepping towards her boyfriend, extending the beer to him as she took a sip from her own drink. “Here.” She whispered, keeping enough distance so he couldn’t get wet.

He didn’t seem to pick up on her distaste to his wet body, immediately pulling her into a tight hug and pressing his wet lip to her temple. “Baby.” He mumbled. “I missed you.”

Tania pushed him away with a glare. “Are you trying to get me wet?”

Nodding, he took the beer from her hands, lifting it to his lips to drink some. Instead of acknowledging her, he stepped away, grabbing his dry shirt and shoes from the lounge chair and slipped both on. Quickly, he ran the towel through his short hair, messing it up more, before dropping it into the seat. His hand extended backwards. “Coming?” Tania reached out for it, pulling him towards her quickly with a smile. John gave her a confused frown first, smirking too. “Oh, you want a--”

Her hand cut him off as she ran her fingers through his hair, smoothing it down. “You look like Garrett.” She muttered, shaking her head as she pulled his tall body down a little to get the back. “I hate Garrett’s hair.”

John sent her a smile when she finished, pecking her lips as he sighed out a thank you. “You’re perfect.”

Turning, the two blushed when they saw his family watching them, his mother cooing. John stepped forward first, putting his hand on the small of her back and guiding her over the table, taking their usual seats. Immediately, they were handed plates of food to pass, each putting portions of each on their plates. Immediately, his family started talking. Shane was getting questioned first, his mother and father curious about their son’s progress in his second year of college.

They worked their way around, asking each person specific questions, wanting to know about their month. Shane seemed to be excelling in the business department, reaching goals he thought he could never achieve. Ross and Alice were working hard, her teaching job and his engineering career along with their toddler kept the two very busy. John’s mom spent most of the dinner feeding the kid, cheering every time he took a bite. He was her first grandchild and she loved him so much.

When it got to Tania and John, the parents asked the typical questions. They always wanted to know how she was progressing in school, if she was writing anything new, and how the job was working out. Then they’d go to John. How was touring? What was the band’s plans? How were the guys? They were the usual ones, the two expected that.

It wasn’t until his mother twisted around, given him a heavy glare that caused them both to stop eating. “So John.” His mother began as he swallowed the mouthful of food. “What are your plans?”

“My plans?” He repeated, confused. “I just told you, Ma. Tour’s starting next--”

“No.” The woman’s voice cut him off. “John, what are your plans?”

“What are you talking about?” He watched her from where he sat, one hand resting of his girlfriend’s thigh, playing with the hem at the bottom of your skirt.

Another smile graced the woman’s lips. “You and Tania.” She pointed, scooping up more peas to bring to Jack’s lips. “What are your plans?”

Blushes flooded both of their cheeks, his hand fell from the spot on her thigh. Tania looked away awkwardly, staring at through the window in the house, trying to come up with some quick excuse to leave. His attention stayed on his mother as he tried to send her to correct facial gestures to shut her up. She obviously didn’t understand. “You two have been together, what, three years now? You have a house and a car and pets. I’m just curious what’s next?”

They both could hear that hint. She wanted another wedding to attend. She wanted another grandchild to hold. She wanted all the things they both wanted, but faster then they did. The mother thought they were ready two years before, telling John she would help him pay for the engagement ring then. Just now, it was different, she was resenting it in front of Tania, sending the two of them into another awkward state.

“Mom.” John snapped, reaching for Tania’s hand, trying to reassure her that he wasn’t overlooking the topic. “Not now.”

He caught his father send the woman a glare, stopping her from continuing. John held her hand hard, hoping to convey the message he couldn’t say then. His father then went to talking, telling them all about his own month’s adventures. It wasn’t until dessert that Tania spoke up, pulling her hand from his and excusing herself to the bathroom.

“Baby.” He whispered, knocking gently on the door. “Are you alright?”

With no response, he pulled the door open, seeing her standing by the sink, staring into the mirror. Tania didn’t answer him either then, just giving him a blank expression before going back to look at herself. He took that as the invitation, stepping into the small room, wrapping his arms around her waist. “I’m sorry,” he breathed out, pressing a kiss into her hair. “I didn’t think she’d just ask that.”

Tania shrugged, still not acknowledging him or his touch.

“Tania, baby?” He said, trying to get her attention. “Look, we will. We’ve talked about it. I want to. You want to. We will. Just, not right now. We’re just...not there yet. Not with the way I’m touring. I can’t bare the idea of leaving my wife home alone for so long.”

She smiled slightly at the words, leaning back gently. They watched the other in mirror, expressionless. He could see her accepting her words as she cuddled more and more into him. His head ducked down, brushing his lips across her neck. “I know.” He heard her whisper. “I’m fine with waiting to.”

That was all he needed, flipping her around and pressing his lips to hers. He could taste her wine and he knew by the way she whined a little that he probably tasted like chlorine. Her arms wrapped around his neck, pulling him closer and backing against the wall, standing on her tip-toes to reach him better. Tania’s fingers tugged at his hair, pulling him away to get a breath.

“By the way.” He muttered between heaving breaths, “You did a great job on my hair.”
♠ ♠ ♠
First one I've sort of liked in awhile. idek.
February 9, 2011.