Reservoir

Old Friends.

The party was in full swing. Emily and Kennedy’s house was full of their friends, drinks in everyone’s hands and smiles on their faces. They were celebrating their old friend returning to spend the weekend with them. Emily knew him when she grew up in Virginia and kept in touch. He knew most of their friends through either Emily or Tania, fitting into the group nicely.

Cameron hadn’t been since Kennedy and Emily’s wedding a year before. Now, he had finally cleared enough room in his heavy touring schedule to come visit. Kennedy picked him up from the airport that morning, giving him a chance to unwind before the party. Emily got the drinks on her way home, calling Tania to come over early and help her set it all up.

John gritted his teeth when she came into the living room, telling him she was leaving early. “The party’s starting at 9 but Em needs help setting up and everything.” She tried, looking at him with a smirk. “She said Kenny’s gonna get Chinese and we’re welcome to come early and eat with them and Cam.”

Her optimistic eyes didn’t match the glare he was giving her. John was the only one who wasn’t infatuated with Cameron Leahy. He didn’t think he was charming, cute, or funny. When he came to visit, John wasn’t one to jump from the sofa to go see him. When his girlfriend talked about visiting him, he’d only grit his teeth and give her the same heavy glare.

“I think I’ll pass, Tania.” He looked back at the television, watching some old History channel show she’d recorded while he was on tour. “The last thing I wanna do is be around Cameron Leahy anymore than I have to be.”

“John.” She tried, reaching out. “John please. Come with me. Ken will be there as a buffer.”

“No.” He snapped, crossing his arms across his chest. “I’m not gonna go and watch you flirt with some old boyfriend just so you can see me get jealous.”

Tania giggled, falling into his lap, trying to get his attention. “Please come.” She smirked, watching him try not to glance down at her. “I want you there John.”

“To see me jealous? I don’t think s—“

“No.” She interrupted, cupping his jaw and sitting up in his lap. “Never, baby. I want you there because you’re my boyfriend and I don’t like spending a second away from you that I don’t have to.”

“You’re lying.” He tried biting back the smile when she leaned into peck his lips, prying the remote from her hands. She did it a few times, pressing her lips to his and looking away, waiting for his smile. “Fine.” He groaned against her after the fifth time. “I’ll go.”

Even with Kennedy there, Cameron seemed to do all the right things to irk him. He’d slip his hand around Tania’s waist when he talked to her. He had to sit right beside her when they ate. All the questions he’d asked were directed to her, ignoring the rest of the table. Emily would only giggle and swat the boy before climbing into Kennedy’s lap and giving him the attention that John wished Tania would give him.

Tania ignored him mostly, only kissing his cheek when they’d pass by or telling him to stop giving Cameron such nasty glares when she thought he’d get out of hand. Other than that, she spent her time talking to Cameron or helping Emily, smiling the entire time.

“Calm down, man.” Kennedy stood next to him, pulling out the beers from the cases and putting them in the ice filled coolers. “It’s just Cam.”

John groaned, falling back onto one of the stools in the kitchen, looping his arms together on the island and resting his forehead on it. “They dated Ken.” He sighed out, closing his eyes. “For like, a year.”

He heard Kennedy chuckle, making John blush in embarrassment. “You and Tania have been together for three years, John.” He laughed, catching his wife’s hip and pulling her close. “I wouldn’t worry.”

Before John could answer, he was already being shooed from the stool by Emily with a new mission. Kennedy followed him out the glass door, heading for the shed in their backyard. The dogs circled their feet as Kennedy caught up, sliding his hand over his shoulder and patting his back. “Seriously, John. Cam’s not gonna do anything. Emily wouldn’t invite him if she thought he’d ruin you two.”

John gave him a heavy look, rolling his shoulder so Kennedy’s hand fell off.

Once the booze were out, it only got worse. Cameron got wasted faster than normal. Kennedy left his side, wandering off to go find Emily, wanting to have his own fun. John held the beer in his hand, sipping on it and staring into the living room, watching Cameron and the crowd of people around him. He hated this, being here with him. He hated how much everyone loved Cameron but especially how much Tania seem to still love Cameron.

When he slipped back into the kitchen, placing the empty bottle in the recycling bin and looking through the collection of hard liquor did his girlfriend stumble in. Her hands were immediately around his waist, her slurring voice asking for him to make her one of his special concoctions. John could tell she wasn’t drunk yet, but she was well on her way, the cups of Jack and Coke leaving her tipsy. “John.” She whined, watching him look at the labels. “Gimme something.”

He pushed her hand away, giving her a glare before pulling another beer from the cooler. “Go ask Cameron to make you something.” He looked away from her confused eyes, opening the twist-off top and tossing it aside. “Apparently, you love him.”

Tania gave him a heavy sigh, wrapping her arm around his hip again. “It’s not like that.”

His attention stayed on the bottle or out into the living room, trying to avoid her soft eyes.

“Baby, stop this.” She whined again, pressing her torso into his, kissing his neck. “It’s not like that.”

“Well you spend the entire time we’re here with him, Tania. I barely get a glance. I’m forced to hang out with half drunk Kennedy and completely drunk Emily who are both too busy trying not to tear each other’s clothes of to actually listen.”

“I’m sorry.” She smiled, taking his beer from his hand and taking a sip.

He kept the glare, pulling the bottle away from her. “You’re my girlfriend, Tania. Not his. Stop acting like it.”

“Johnny.” There was evidence of her typical, tipsy giggle, but she seemed to bite it back well enough, getting the severity of his words. “I’m just happy he’s back in town John. We haven’t seen him in a year. It’s nice to catch up.”

“My girlfriend.” He repeated. “Mine.”

“And your my boyfriend.” She smiled, kissing his neck again and tightening her grip around him. “Forever, baby.”

Tania pulled him down some, pressing a hard kiss to his lips. John responded immediately, twisting them around so she was leaning against the counter and he hovering over, hands under her jaws as he kissed her back hungrily.
♠ ♠ ♠
i dunno. meh.
February 10, 2011.