Reservoir

Hug.

Things were tense. She could see it in his shoulders and the way he held Nolan’s leash. When he caught her stare his lips were pursed and she watched as his jaw tightened. He stayed a pace in front of her as the two walked towards the dog park, their oversized German Shepherd tugging anxiously at the leash in hopes to speed the couple up. His attempts were unsuccessful as John’s arm simply tightened and he snapped at the dog.

As they got to the park, Tania couldn’t help but remember everything that had happened to the night before. Both had let their bad moods get in the way of their date. Tania’s awful professors’ and obnoxious peers’ voices ran through her head the whole evening. Before either realized, they were snapping at the other, words too sharp to be normal and annoyance levels rising quickly. Dinner ended and they drove home in silence, her hands folded in her lap as both of his stayed gripped on the steering wheel. It was just as bad when they got home, the echoes of the exchange of words before reminded them of the fight and sparking a new, undefined feud.

It ended with him sleeping on the couch and her alone in her bed. Both spent the night tossing and turning, confused as they reevaluated the fight, trying to understand the very origin of it. When she woke up, John had already left for practice and she was certain all his anger would be gone by the time he returned. It hadn’t. John slammed the door when he came home, still angry.

They walked the dog together every afternoon, hands typically laces, and smiles covering both faces. Except today it wasn’t like that. John’s scowl being the constant reminder of the barrier that had grown between them the night before. When he unclipped the dog, he walked away from her as the dog ran in the opposite direction.

His name left her lips in a sigh and he didn’t even turn around. John’s eyes stayed directed out, watching the dog run around the back fence of the park, sniffling another dog cautiously. She couldn’t distract herself like he could though, her thoughts spiraling around his state and their words.

Before she could stop, she stepped forward walking up behind him. Her breath was heavy as she wrapped her arms around his waist, resting her head against his back. She could only smile at first, letting his warmth soothe her. John didn’t respond at first but then she felt his fingers lace into hers and he leaned back some, allowing her to embrace him.

“I’m sorry,” She mumbled into the fabric of his shirt, feeling his spine against her lips. “I didn’t think things would get that out of hand.”

John’s hands tightened in hers as he sighed. “I know.”

“And I’m sorry for making you sleep downstairs.” She said clearer this time, raiding her cheek against his shoulder now.

“It’s okay, baby.” He spoke and she could hear the smile in his voice.

Neither spoke for a few moments, her body hugging his back and his hands laced tightly into hers. Her eyes closed at the steadying of his breath and the smell of his soap. The embrace was easing away the tension between the two. John’s jaw loosening at the feeling of her hugging him and the smile settling across his face when he felt her hands tightening.

“I’m sorry too, Tania.” He breathed. As she lift her head at sound of his words he dropped his hands, flipping himself around to face her. “I was an ass, as always.”

Tania smiled, resting her hands at his chest and simply shaking her head. “No, you’re perfect, John.”

The smile tightened as he leaned down slightly, supping her jaw with his palms and pressing a gently kiss to her lips. “That’s you, silly.” He mumbled as he pulled away, his blue-green eyes meeting hers. “That’s always been you.”

Before she could respond, John was pulling her into a proper hug, his arms snaking around her waist.
♠ ♠ ♠
So Tania and I are trying something new. Instead of "word" prompts, we're exchanging pictures. http://tiny.cc/gmlzi

Love my booski. I finally finished one.
Hoping to get back into these, like weekly or so, eh Tania?