Status: newly active.

Love in Theory and Practice: SWRMXS

Chapter 2: Part I

When our plane lands in Los Angeles, Elin is up, out of her seat before anyone else. She slings her purse over her shoulder and reaches back for my hand. I grab her tiny little fingers and lace them together with mine. She waves a happy goodbye to the flight attendant before strolling off the plane into the hot air.

The airport is busy but even despite her belly, or maybe because of it, Elin is able to easy maneuver us through the crowds. The flight had been long, but neither of us was unable to entertain ourselves. We’re both so used to flights, that we come equipped with hours of entertainment.

I smile to myself as I think how different we look from each other at this moment. Elin is wearing black mid-calf leggings with flip-flops with a stylish top that fits perfectly. Her curls are wonderful and blonde. She smiles over her shoulder at me with her bright blue eyes and her pretty pink lips.

I’m dressed in wrinkled jeans with black converse shoes and a ratty old Black Sabbath t-shirt. My curls aren’t nearly as defined or romantic as Elin’s and my skin is nowhere near as bright or radiant as hers. But for some reason, when she smiles at me, I know that she finds me as wonderful and I find her.

When we reach the baggage area, Elin begins immediately searching the crowd for her beloved best friend, Callie. When they see each other, they squeal and run to meet each other. Callie runs a bit faster than Elin does, but she still held her own for a pregnant woman.

After releasing Elin from her arms, Callie also hugs me.

“I’m so happy to see you both!” she says happily.

“We’re happy to be here!” Elin says in reply. She links her arm with mine and kisses me sweetly on the cheek. We move towards the baggage claim. “Did you bring my car?” she asks Callie.

“You bet I did.” She replies. I sit back on the bench and let the girls catch up while I watch the people around the airport.

This is one of the wonderful things about the airport: people watching. I love seeing people that are so happy to see each other that they forget about the world and the people around them. Callie and Elin are completely engrossed in each other, chatting happily. Every so often, however, Elin looks down to her belly and gently rubs around her belly button.

“Come on, Ville,” Elin whispers sweetly in my ear. “We have all of our things.” When I look at her she is smiling at me with a knowing smile. She winks at me and extends her fingers in search of mine.

We leave the airport and make our way towards the parking deck through the sunshine.

“So where’s Bam?” Elin asks as she and Callie slip into the front seats. I’d had to argue with Callie in order to get her to sit in the front seat. She had insisted that as the husband I should sit there but I argued that because they would talk more, she should sit up there.

“He’s in West Chester right now but he’ll be in town tomorrow. So I left my car at your place and drove yours to the airport. So we’ll go back to your place so you guys can get settled and I’ll just head home later on.” Callie says rationally.

“Sounds good.” Elin says before pulling out of the parking space.

Once again, the girls lapse into conversation while the scenery of Los Angeles flies by.

After arriving at Elin’s house, we hang out with Callie and spend time in the sunshine. We make dinner and catch up further. The house is exactly as I remember it but without all of Elin’s personal touches. All of her favorite little things are now in Finland. Her favorite books are on the shelf there and all of her favorite movies are by the DVD player in Helsinki.

This is a vacation home now and if it upsets her, she doesn’t show it.

It’s a beautiful home with stark differences. The bright sunlight and the light colors in the house are breezy and cool. Our house in Helsinki is deep, dark and warm. I begin to wonder, while sitting in the sunroom, if the house we have in Helsinki is really making Elin feel at home. I let my mind ponder these things while the girls talk.

Callie has been incredibly busy these last few months and has been traveling all over the world for photo shoots and press meetings. She’s been working for all kinds magazines and marketing companies right now. She’s a hot commodity.

Elin listens patiently and happily encourages her friend but I can see in her eyes that she is longing for and missing her career at this moment. Callie asks about her work and Elin casually evades the question so she doesn’t have to tell Callie how little her career has become. But then she surprises me.

She smiles widely at Callie, wraps her arm seductively and tightly around my waist, places her hand on her belly and says: “This is my career now.” She moves her hand to the side of my face and rubs her nose against mine.

“That’s so cute I kind of want to barf.” Callie says with a warm smile but her wink let’s us know she’s kidding with us.

Eventually Callie says goodnight with the promise of getting back together tomorrow when Bam arrived.

Once in bed, Elin tosses and turns. At home we have a special pillow that supports her when she sleeps on her side. We hadn’t even thought about bringing it along with us or getting one for here.

“Are you alright?” I ask when she’s facing me. Her face is in a frown and I can tell she’s incredibly unhappy. Elin makes this one face when she’s unhappy but doesn’t think anyone can see her. It’s a total pout like a child would make.

“I can’t get comfortable.” She mumbles.

“I can tell.” I say and brush some of her curls out of her face. “Lean on me.”

“Oh Ville,” she sighs. “That wouldn’t be comfortable for you.”

“I don’t care. Try it. I can bear some discomfort when you bear it all day.”

“Alright, silly.” She says with a happy smile. “Will you lean your back against mine?” We roll over so that our backs are to each other and she leans her shoulder and hip against mine.

“Better?”

“Better.” She sighs. In honesty, it’s not uncomfortable. She’s not extra heavy, she’s not too much to support. Within a few minutes, we’re both asleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm so sorry that its been so long :(