A Choice

Notes

As the professor wrote the materials to be brought for their next class, Patrick slipped a note to Nicola. Wondering, Nicola slowly opened the note thinking that Patrick was going to ask about the materials.

A blue “hi” written in an intelligent penmanship greeted her as she opened it. Bored, she decided it wouldn’t hurt if she replied back. So she crumpled the note and took out her very own pink pad and took out her favorite pen which had pink furry butterflies on the top. She replied with a "hello" and sent the note back.

She took out her binder notebook and started copying. Wondering what took Patrick so long to reply, she threw back the crumpled note Patrick first sent her. The crumpled note caught Kevin’s attention and he looked back at Nicola with a questioning look. Nicola simply shrugged her shoulders and continued copying.

Not so long after the bell rang signaling that the subject was over. It was free period after chemistry every Tuesday. Having nothing to do, Nicola took out her iphone together with the earphones and listened to some of her favorite songs.

Suddenly, the same pink note landed on her desk. She quickly opened it and it read, “So you’re always late huh?” She crumpled the paper and as she stood up going to the trash can, she shot an its-obvious-and-you-know-it look at Patrick. Patrick just chuckled in reply.

“Nicola! What’s up with the paper awhile ago?” Kevin asked as he went to Nicola.

“Uh, it was nothing. Patrick was just probably looking for a friend. Anything new?” Nicola fixed her belt as she spoke.

Kevin looked at Nicola with curiosity but answered anyway. “Oh okay… Just make sure the teacher doesn’t catch you exchanging notes because it might get you in trouble. Anyway, new? Nothing much interesting going on…”

Before they could even finish their little conversation, the bell rang and everyone took their seats. Nicola took of her earphones and was about to hide them in her bag when she saw a folded note placed inside her bag. The one who placed it there surely wanted Nicola to see it because the note was placed in such a way that anyone with eyes would see it right away. Nicola opened the note knowing that it came from Patrick again. The note read, “Can I eat with you later at lunch?”

Not knowing what to reply, Nicola slipped it to Kevin while Patrick wasn’t looking. Kevin just shrugged and so Nicola had to make her own decision which was to agree.