A Choice

Lunch

“One more hour,” Nicola thought while answering a mind cracking math problem.

Suddenly, the voice of the principal was heard in the PA system. “Today, you will have an early lunch and dismissal. The teachers will have an emergency meeting later. Thank you,” the voice announced.

“Ooooh. Sheer luck. Saved by the announcement,” Nicola whispered under her breath as she closed her notebook and fixed her things. When she looked up from her bag, Kevin and Patrick were looking at her, waiting for her to finish fixing.

“Girls are always late,” Kevin teased Nicola as Nicola hastily pulled out her wallet she bought from one of her recent trips to the mall.

Normally, the two best friends would run to the cafeteria. Now though, since they had a new person with them, they leisurely walked along the stone path leading to the cafeteria. They talked, mostly about Patrick’s life, and not long after they found themselves seated in their usual seat in the cafeteria.

They started eating and continued the topic about Patrick. “Shoot. I still have to finish our bulletin board,” Kevin exclaimed as his eyes met with the clock suspended near the refreshments area. He bid goodbye and left Nicola with Patrick.

As he left, silence followed the two. Nicola simply disliked long silence and so she decided to hum a song. Patrick looked at her and chuckled. “Late, again and again,” he teased. Irritated, Nicola left her food unfinished and walked briskly towards the lockers, trying to stay away from Patrick.

She opened the lock quite faster than usual and pulled out the books she needed for the afternoon. In her haste, some of her books fell to the floor. She bent down to pick them up and saw a familiar hand – Patrick’s. She stood straight and cleared her throat. They stared at each other not knowing what to say. Silence, again. The bell rang ending the silence and soon the locker area was deserted, with only the two of them left, still staring at each other in silence.
♠ ♠ ♠
boring lunch scene? haha. wait for the next chapter.