The Work of Aphrodite: Οι εργασίες της Αφροδίτης

Diomedes 1

Diomedes was walking around the small town he was stationed at, right outside Sparta, when a man caught up to him.

"Orders." The man gasped, bent on his knees, catching his breath.

Diomedes patiently waited as the man caught his breath. When he recovered, he spoke again.

"Diomedes, you're on orders to protect the Emperor's son. You must go to Athens immediatly. The General is giving you his horse." The man articulated.

Diomedes looked off into the scenery, absorbing the beautiful sights of Sparta. It was almost dawn, and Diomedes had to go at once if he was to make it later this morning. What would have taken him a couple days by foot would be shrunk to a mere couple hours by horse.

The birds began to emerge from their nests, singing songs and spreading their wings. Diomedes took off with the man towards camp, where he met the General at the gate.

"Be safe. The Emperor is counting on you." The General nodded, sending Diomedes off.

Diomedes traveled on the long path towards Athens, covering land.

It was a very long journey, even by horse, but Diomedes finally made it to the gates of Athens. The guards let him in, seeing his status, and pointed the way to the Emperor's palace.

Diomedes cladded through the busy streets of Athens, seeing merchants and students, politicians and scholars, philosophers and beggars. The city was different from Sparta, very much less military-oriented. He continued to venture down the stone streets, and found the path to the palace. It was a bit more spaced than the rest of Athens, and located near the temples of the Gods and Goddesses.

Diomedes found himself at the palace, which had long stretches of olive groves and patches of green grass. The building stood tall and proud, like most of the temples around here. The white marble columns stretched far into the sky, and perfectly chisled images of the Gods and Goddesses were displayed on the roof.

A servant took Diomedes' horse to the stable, and Diomedes began to take the small flight of stairs up to the entrance, when he stopped. He heard something drifting by on the wind. It was the most beautiful thing he had ever heard. It was the mesmerizing, graceful notes on a trichord. Diomedes, temporarily forgetting the mission, drifted off to the side of the palace, following the song. When Diomedes got close, he found that the music was drifting out of the second story window near the rear entrance. Diomedes leaned against a nearby olive tree, and listened.

The notes were in perfect harmony, and even the birds seemed to stop and listen. Diomedes closed his eyes, and absorbed the hypnotic chords.

Diomedes immediatly remembered why he was in Athens, and he snapped out of his daze, and hurridly dashed back to the front entrance. He knocked on the door, and then readjusted his breastplate and smoothed his battle skirt. He took off his helmet, and made sure his sword was properly in it's case. He held his shield at attention, awaiting the Emperor.

The Emperor's wife answered, and invited him in. Diomedes bowed, and then preceeded to walk inside.

He stifled a gasp as his eyes peered around the room. The roof was incredibly high, and the most complex paintings splashed across the ceiling. Everything was proper, clean, and very expensive.
The Emperor's wife noticed the gaze, and she hid a smile of pride.

"Come upstairs. You must protect my son at all costs. He must never be out of your sight. Not for any reason." She inquired.

"Yes, your highness." Diomedes answered.

They traveled up the marble stairs, and went down the decorated hallway.

"This is my son's room. This will also be your room." She indicated the closed door to the right.

She knocked, then opened the door.

"Arion, here is your bodyguard!" She called, then gestured me in.

Diomedes walked in, and could barely believe his sight.

Arion was the one who was playing the beautiful music.

And he was incredibly... well... attractive!