The Work of Aphrodite: Οι εργασίες της Αφροδίτης

Arion 2

“Arion, here is your bodyguard!” His mother called from the door.

Arion looked up from his trichord, and saw a man standing in full uniform. Arion did a double take.

Arion’s eyes quickly scanned the stranger’s form, very much impressed. The bodyguard had perfectly chiseled muscles, a shining breastplate and a sparkling, threatening sword. His arms dangled at his sides, one carrying a heavy-looking shield, marked with the stigma of Sparta’s power, and the other holding a helmet. His face was that of an angel, plastered with a nervous grin and stubble forming across his jaw. His brown hair was a bit ruffled and his brown eyes were a bit tired, but strong with confidence. His biceps flashed his strength and power, and his brown, dusty, worn-out sandals told stories of bloody battles and foreign lands.

Arion snapped out of his daze, and smiled.

“Hey, I’m Arion.” He mustered his voice a bit frail. He cleared his throat and continued. “I guess you’re my bodyguard.”

“Yes. My name is Diomedes. I’m from Sparta’s most prestigious military. You won’t be harmed under my watch.” Diomedes informed firmly. He seemed to be holding back something, and Arion noticed his mother was standing at the doorway still.

“I see you two are situated. Be nice, Arion.” His mother tossed over her shoulder as she left.
Diomedes exhaled, relieved.

“Trying to seem professional in front of my mother? I understand. I sometimes feel like I have to, too.” Arion said, nervous.

Diomedes gave Arion an odd look, then broke into a wide grin.

“Yeah, I try to be professional around the Emperor and his wife. I mean it’s not like they are important or anything” Diomedes said sarcastically. He was till standing awkwardly, tapping
his helmet against his thigh.

“Come sit down. You look nervous! Athens isn’t that bad, trust me. It’s actually pretty wonderful. There’s so much art and philosophy here.” Arion suggested, trying to break the ice.

Diomedes nodded, and sat next to Arion on his bed.

“Did you hear that trichord earlier?” Diomedes questioned. He seemed to be prodding for something.

“Uh, what do you mean?” Arion replied, trying to think what Diomedes thought of the music Arion had played earlier.

“Well, before I walked inside, I heard the most beautiful sound ever. Someone was playing the trichord. Do you happen to know who was playing that?” Diomedes furthered questioned.

“Oh, that was me. I had a competition today, but I couldn’t go because Mother worried about my safety. I’ve been practicing forever, too.” Arion sighed.

“Your mother has your safety as her best interest, so don’t think she is doing it because she wants to make your life horrible.” Diomedes sympathized.

“Oh, I know, I just... I can’t help but feel disappointed and angry.” Arion sighed.

“You would have won, anyways.” Diomedes counseled.

“Thanks.” Arion mumbled, not convinced.

“No, I’m serious.” Diomedes confessed, staring at Arion’s bright blue eyes.
“Thank you. It means a lot to me.” Arion smiled.

“Now let’s show you Athens.” Arion stood up, confident in showing his new bodyguard where he likes to go.

“I have to show you where I hang out a lot!” Arion added.

“Alright!” Diomedes laughed, jumping up. He followed behind Arion as they made their way to the door.

Oh my gosh, Arion thought, I can’t believe this guy is my bodyguard!