Hold on Tight and Don't Look Back

Four.

Frank looked around at the other members of the band waiting to see who wanted to step up to the plate and tell me about the other surprise. At this point, the nervousness in the room was past the point of bearable, and I just wanted to know what was going on.

“Fine, I’ll handle it. What are you, scared of her?” I couldn’t tell if Gerard was mad or just being sarcastic at this point, his face showed no emotion.

“We’ve been planning this for a while, and it’s all been worked out. You’re going to finish up your senior year via homeschooling, and you’ll still get a diploma from your school. Oh, and you’ll be spending Christmas with us,” Gerard said. I don’t get what’s going on.

Why would I need to be home schooled? And why would I be with them on Christmas..? It was obvious the band could see my confusion, because no one was saying a word. You could definitely hear a pin drop right about now.

“I guess I should explain a little bit,” Gerard smiled as he laughed at himself. “With the help of your mom, our aunt has been showing us videos of you playing the viola, and you can knock that baby out of the park. We made a group decision, and we’d love to have you record some stuff for our next album, and have you help us out in the studio, you know kind of like we’re mentoring you, except we’re not, we just want you to come along for the ride, finish up tour with us, and record.”

Are you shitting me right now. They want me to come with them and record for their album. This is not even possible, and I am refusing to accept reality at this moment.

“Uhmm..” Was all I could bring myself to say to Gerard and the rest of the guys. How do you respond to an offer like that?

“I think it would be really fun if you come with us. We have an extra bunk all ready for you to crash in, we even got you a bed set for it, it’s the same one you have at home, Jenna told us about it,” Mikey seemed nervous as hell, almost like he thought I was going to tell them no.

“I’d love to join you guys. But I don’t have anything with me,” I could hear the anxiety in my voice. I didn’t want to seem too eager to take them up on the offer, but there was no way I was going to say no. Hell would have to freeze over or pigs would have to fly for me to tell Mikey and Gerard I didn’t want to go with them. We all know that isn’t going to happen anytime soon.

“Oh, that’s okay. We’re going to be in town tomorrow as well, so you can go home tonight, pack all your stuff, and we’ll pick you up around nine tomorrow, and you can show us the town,” Ray said. He seems calm, like he has an answer to everything. I guess there has to be someone to keep the peace.

“We’ll help you pack up in the morning, if you want. It’s late, you should probably just head straight to bed when you get home,” Mikey said. Gosh he’s acting like a parent, but I kind of like it. It’s cute

“Oh, hey, not to ruin the fun but it’s midnight,” Frank said. “We have to get out of the building.”

“Ah, fuck, that’s right,” Gerard said. Obviously he was agitated. I guess he wanted to avoid the cold or something.

“You can come join us on the bus for a while if you want, I’ll give you a tour,” Mikey smiled.

“Well, actually, I haven’t renewed my license yet so I can’t legally drive after one, so I should probably start heading home.” It’s not that I wanted to go home, but now would not be the time to get a ticket.

“Let’s not break any laws now,” Gerard smirked, his sarcasm was bitterly obvious. “I’m only kidding, stay out of trouble, head home and get some rest.” He hugged me as he gave me his fatherly advice.

“I’ll walk you to the car. It’s dark. You never know what’s lurking in the shadows out there,” Mikey smiled.

“That’s really nice of you, but I think I can handle it.” I didn’t want to seem too needy, or did I?

“No, you can’t. I’m going with you,” Mikey laughed and stole my keys. “Now you have to let me join you.” He smiled. He had gotten what he wanted, and he was clearly happy.

“See you bright and early tomorrow!” The rest of the guys seemed excited for what was in store in the days to come. We high hugged, and Mikey and I began our trek to my car.

“So, where the hell did you park, anyway?” We had been walking for a few minutes in silence at this point, and obviously Mikey didn’t know what he had gotten himself into.

“Over there in the Metro parking lot. I’m really particular about my car. I take good care of it, I like cars, especially mine, so yeah. Cars were always my dad’s passion, so I’m trying to keep his passion alive,” I looked up at him, almost like I was looking for approval, which I am, but he doesn’t have to know that.

“What do you mean keep your dad’s passion alive?” He asked.

“My dad passed away in a work accident when I was 7,” I told him while trying to suppress the memories that would lead me to cry uncontrollably. Mikey grabbed my arm to stop me from walking, pulled me in close to his chest, and hugged me. His act of kindness caused me to lose it. I began to cry. I couldn’t believe I was actually crying in front of him, I never let anyone see me cry.

“It’s okay,” he said, “I’m here for you. You cry all you want. I know how hard it has to be for you.”

Gosh, he really is one of the sweetest guys I have ever met. Where does he get his amazing personality?

“Thanks,” I said as I wiped the tears from my face.

“Anytime,” he smiled.

We walked in silence for what seemed like an eternity. I remembered I had a remote starter installed on my car a few months back so I pressed the button to turn it on.

“Did you just do that?” Mikey looked shocked.

“Yeah, I pressed the start button,” I laughed.

“They have those now?”

“They have for a while, I-” Mikey cut me off.

“Wait, that’s your car? That car right there?”

I guess he wasn’t expecting my car to be a black, 2010 Chevrolet Camaro. But it’s not like I go around flaunting it. I mean, at school everyone knows I’m rich, but I wasn’t about to tell them that, and judging by the look on Mikey’s face Jenna didn’t, either.

“Yeah, it’s my baby,” I laughed. I knew the guys in MCR weren’t much for show, and usually I’m not either, but cars are the one place I don’t mind showing off. There’s nothing wrong with having a good car, in my opinion.

“That’s awesome,” Mikey smiled. “I’m actually kind of jealous.”

“Hop in, I’ll drive you back to the bus,” I smiled as I unlocked the doors.

We pulled up next to the bus, and Mikey handed me my cell phone.

“I took the liberty of putting my number in your phone,” Mikey laughed. “And I put yours in mine, you know in case we get lost.”

“Oh, in case you get lost?”

“Yeah, we’re bad with directions,” Mikey was smiling now.

“Well, I’ll take your word for it, and I’ll see you later today.” I smiled back at him.

“Do I get a hug goodbye?” He sounded like a little kid, it was cute.

I hugged him goodbye, and watched him as he exited the car and disappeared into the darkness.

I pulled into my driveway at exactly 12:59. Way to be, I thought to myself, way to be. As I unlocked my door I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. Who is honestly awake at this hour and texting me? I pulled my phone out and looked at the screen, assuming it was someone I would have no desire to talk to at this moment. “New text message: Mikey Way.” Holy shit. Mikey is texting me. This is really happening. I anxiously tapped the read now button. “Hey beautiful, I hope you had fun tonight, (: We’ll see you bright and early at 9 a.m. tomorrow.”