Status: Active!

Effortless

Chapter 14- DING DING DING

Dianna’s POV

“Get that motherfucking dress on your body, right now!”

Sometimes I think Christina thought that when she put her heels on and she was all of 5’3 she was more in charge. She wasn’t, she was just louder, but I loved her for it. I looked up from my pillow and stared at her. She looked gorgeous. She was wearing a deep green dress that hugged her body and the one shoulder showed off her very petit, delicate form. Her hair, that went to her elbow was curled and effortless. She was that girl in high school that never wore makeup or did her hair and still looked good.

“Seriously, I don’t feel like celebrating right now. Plus, I effing know Kris is gonna be there. I don’t feel like seeing him”

Over the past four days since seeing Kris I may or may not have turned into a bitch. It’s not my fault it’s stupid love’s fault.

“One: Kris is not going to be there, he told Sid that he was gonna go home mope over you not responding to his messages. The guys have literally not been able to get him to go out. Two: You also have been here getting more and more pissed at Kris’s sad attempts to get you to forgive him. Three: It’s my birthday you selfish asshat!”

Leave it to Christina to make you realize how much of an asshole you’ve been.

“I’m sorry, C, you’re right. I’ve been just thinking about Kris and I so much. I shouldn’t act this way when it’s your day. Forgive me?”

“Of course I do, I’m not even mad; I just know how to get you to do something.” She smirked at me. “Now go take a shower, shave your legs, vag, whatever! And put this dress on and meet us at the bar. You might want to eat something since you already missed dinner. “

She just walked out after that. So I did what she said I got in the shower, shaved everything, and I guess it did make me feel better. I decided that I was gonna do it up that night so I put on a pretty shimmery gold and navy eye shadow that made my eyes look bluer. The dress that Christina had brought for me was deep navy in color. It was pretty plain in the front, but the back was open with jewels straps running along the opening. I was sure it was something Vero picked out because she knew exactly what I liked. In addition to the back being cut out it was also very short. My legs were my favorite feature so I didn’t mind. I braided my hair to one side and twisted it into a bun and slid my pumps on.

I threw my coat on and when I stepped outside I knew grabbing my gloves was a good idea; the weather was cold and I could smell the snow in the air. The first snow in December was kind of poetic, maybe it was a good omen for the night.

Kris Letang’s POV

Of course Marc had to pick his four seat Porsche. Me, Crosby, and Max were all crammed into it. Which I’m sure if I had been in a better mood would have been funny. Big hockey players in a small car.

“Why are we driving a girls car again?” Max complained from the back seat where he and Sid were shoulder to shoulder.

“It’s Vero’s car, Max. I thought it was going to snow and I didn’t want her in this. So she took my SUV.” he stated.

“Ugh I can’t even bitch about that.” Max replied trying to shift to get a better position.

I was quiet for the ride. They literally forced me to go out. After our loss to the Duck’s tonight I went straight home to sit by my cell phone and wait. I guess after they had dinner, Christina forced them to come get me. I didn’t want Dianna to think I was out having fun and not doing everything to get her back.

“Dude, Geno is calling you.” Sid mentioned as Marc’s phone went off in the cup holder. A second later Geno’s broken English came through the car.

“Bad problem, guys,”

“What is the problem Geno?” Marc replied.

“Dianna here at bar.”

My heart fell into my stomach. My girl was gonna be there.

“Why is that bad Geno?” I asked sitting up in my seat.

“Bad. Alex here too. Bitch Alex. “

The car went silent as the first snow flake hit the windshield.

Dianna’s POV

The bar was nice and warm when I entered. I saw Vero’s dark hair and pink dress and I headed over to the secluded corner that was reserved for us.

“There is our beautiful new friend” Vero greeted me. She hugged me with a kiss on the cheek and took the seat further in. I took her seat so I was facing away from the door.

“Where are the boys?” I asked noticing a suit jacket over the chair next to Christina.

“Geno is here, but he went to the bathroom. He’s been in there awhile.”

“Hmm, I hope he is feeling alright, “I countered.

“He had 4 points tonight, I think he is just fine” Vero smiled sipping her drink.

We chatted a little longer. Christina already had a few drinks so she was on a role, telling us exactly how many times she had birthday sex.

“Sid is so nice, I mean it’s even a game day, but he wasn’t gonna pass me up on my birthday,”

“Oh, no “Vero interrupted.

“Oh, yeahhh, I did that…”Christina nodded.

“What? What is going on?” to say that I was completely confused. I was.

“So don’t be mad at us, “Vero started.

“Well, you’re gonna be mad, but it’s for your own good AND it is my birthday which mean I can pretty much do whatever I want”

“What did you two do?”

“Don’t turn around, but Kris is here. In all his long haired goodness.” Christina sucked hair through her teeth.

“Don’t be mad, we literally had the guys go over to his house and physically put him in the car.”

“HAHA, I just remember they were all crammed in that little Porsche.”

“I’m going to kill both of you.”

“Be nice, Di, we love you. This is for the best. “

Kris Letang’s POV

I am a very lucky man. The light was hitting her perfectly. Her dress showed off every glorious inch of her legs. I knew that tonight was my only chance.

“Tanger, listen, Alex is two tables up from where Di is on the other side of the bar. She could probably see us. I can ask the manager if she could move us upstairs.” Sid said.

Shit, I forgot about her.

“I think if we just pretend like we don’t see her, she won’t come over. I mean she knows we all hate her.” Marc Andre stated

“Well, we can’t keep standing here looking like morons” Max pushed passed us to the table.

“Stay calm, and just keep your head down,” Sid patted me on the shoulder and made his way towards Christina who was waving enthusiastically.

My eyes moved back to Dianna who had now turned in her chair. He face wasn’t mad, but wasn’t happy. She lifted one eyebrow at me and I took my steps toward her.

“Kris,” she greeted me.

“Hey,”

Smooth, I fucking know.

I took the seat in and hoped that Alex couldn’t see me from here.

“How have you been, Ballerine?” her nickname just fell out of my mouth, like when you’re talking and eating at the same time. I felt my ears get hot I didn’t mean to cross any lines,

“I’ve been better, you played well tonight. Sorry for the loss though”

“You watched?” I almost sighed in relief.

I needed to pull my shit together. I was looking like a dog begging for a treat.

“On and off. “She replied.

“Listen, Dianna, can we talk? Maybe outside or we can go get some coffee or a restaurant, or we can go back to my house, though I don’t have a car, but I’m sure Marc would let me take his, or we could go to your apartment if that made you feel more comfortable. “

That’s it Kris give her every fucking possible option in Pittsburgh. You forgot the Incline or the Gateway Clipper.

Before she could answer though all I heard was,

“Oh goodness, Kristopher?”

I looked up and there she was. Alex.

You know when you’re watching a movie and a really, really awkward moment starts to happen and you literally want to turn off the TV because you can’t watch. That is the exact feeling I got when I watch Dianna turn around and Alex go:

“Hey I’m Alex I’m a really good friend of Kris’s”

Now this part in the movie is where all the girls in the audience would be cheering because Dianna is such a classy woman.

“I’m Dianna, Kris’s girlfriend” and she didn’t touch me or look at me, nothing to imply that she needed to make it anymore known than the fact that she said it. The smile on her face too was so genuine it would be hard to deny that we weren’t together.

“Oh he didn’t tell me he was dating anyone new” was Alex’s response.

I turned toward Sidney who couldn’t have helped as he was literally holding his hand over C’s mouth.

“Well, I suppose he only tells the people who mean that most to him,”

“I suppose,” and then she turned her attention to me, “Can I talk to you for a minute, Kristopher?”

“No, you can’t sorry,”

See, if this was all in French maybe I’d sound more eloquent.

“Please, just for a second, “and she took a step towards me, and put her hand on my arm.

Dianna was on her feet so fast; it made me really think she should be a hockey player. Her chair rocked.

“He’s actually not sorry, and we were just leaving,”

“Mm, getting nervous, honey. Worried he might cheat on you? I’d be too; I mean I know all about getting cheated on by a hockey player.” She inched her way up towards Dianna. I went to pull Dianna back but she shrugged me off.

“I would trust Kris with my life. I have no reason to doubt him,”

“He’s not what you think Dianna. He isn’t a good person or hockey player.”

“Watch it, sweetheart, your bitch is showing”

I heard Christina clap twice before Sid held her hands together.

“He’s a lowlife piece of shit and you should know that,”

Ding, Ding, Ding, let the fight begin.

Dianna charged towards her and Alex stepped back quickly.

“What makes you think that I would let you disrespect him in front of me?! HUH? Seriously, I don’t know what happened between the two of you but you had something to do with it. And if anyone in this room is a good for nothing piece of shit, it’s you! I’m sorry, why are you still calling your ex-boyfriend after a year and a half, bitch? I can tell you because nobody wants you anymore! No one, not even him!”

Then Alex pushed Dianna, who stumbled but then regained her balance and with one swing Alex was on the floor. With blood exiting Alex’s face at a pretty quick rate she kicked Dianna in the shin. Dianna fell to her knees and I knew with the skinny heel on Alex’s shoe Dianna was gonna be in some pain for a couple days. Alex went to reach for Dianna’s hair, but Dianna shoved the heel of her hand right where the shoulder met the arm. Alex screeched and ,Geno who literally came out of know where, grabbed Alex and pulled her back.

I got my arms around Dianna who was still swearing and fighting against me to get to Alex and pulled her back.

Before I could say anything Dianna wiggled out of my grasp and was headed toward the door.

Dianna’s POV

I felt like I was going to throw up. I made sure not to limp when I made my incredibly quick exit to the door. My shin was throbbing and I hoped nothing was broken. The lobby was still warm and I remember I had left my coat at the table. The snow was piling up and I dug in my bag for my keys.

“Dianna! Dianna!” Kris’s voice was coming through the lobby. I tried to look for my keys faster, I didn’t want him to see me like this. I just thoroughly embarrassed myself.

“Dianna,” he was less than three feet from me now.

“What, Kris? Seriously, I need to get out of here,”

“I’m driving you, give me your keys,”

“I’m fine to drive, “

“Says the girl who won’t stop shaking, come on Ballerine, let me help you”

I looked at him and I remembered all the reasons why I loved him.

Fuck, I did love him.

“Here take my jacket, and let me help you to the car it’s probably ice out there and your heels aren’t meant for this weather.”

The ride was silent except for the sound of snow being crushed underneath the wheels of my jeep. I tried to focus on taking deep breaths and ignoring Kris’s side glances at me.

“Are you sure I shouldn’t take you to the hospital?” he asked for the third time.

“Kris, I am sure, I’m a semester away from being a health care professional and I would know if something was wrong, okay?”

“Okay,”

I realized that I sounded bitchy, but I did just fight some bitch in his honor and for all I know the things that she was saying were true. I mean she could just be saying them to be a bitch, since she was one. I tried to calm my thoughts, and I looked over at Kris who had both hands on the wheel and was staring intently on the road.

“Kris, can we talk when we get to my apartment?”

He glanced at me with a hopeful look.

“Anything you want”

I thanked God that Nora wasn’t at my place when we got home. It was late, almost 2 in the morning, but she was always out with our dance friends having a good time. I thought Kris was going to go and sit on the couch but instead he went to the hall closet and got the first aid kit.

“Come on to the sink,” he nodded behind him to my bedroom.

I followed and tried not to smile. My shin did have a pretty good gash and it did need to be cleaned.

When I was propped up on the counter with my foot in the sink I watched as Kris looked through the contents of the kit.

“I am the one in PA school maybe I should be the one cleaning out my wound”

“I am the professional hockey player who has seen and experienced firsthand worse cuts than this. I think I can handle it, sweetheart” he retorted and our slight bickering reminded me of how much I really did miss him.

When he had mopped up all the blood and put three butterfly bandages on my leg he deemed me healed.

“So, I guess since the worst is over, we should talk?” he asked leaning against my counter.

“You first”

He sighed before he began, “I just want to start off with saying that I’m incredibly sorry for everything that has happened. I never meant for anything to get so bad. And tonight, I had no clue Alex was going to be there and I just want to say that you were incredible. I mean, you should probably be an enforcer of something. “He took a breath and looked at me.

I smiled, because I did kick that bitch’s ass.

“Anyway, I guess I’ll just come out and tell you what happened between Alex and I. I know she said a lot of things about me tonight and you need to know that none of them are true. We dated for a year and things were okay. I mean I wasn’t unhappy but I don’t think I was in love. I mean now that I think I kind of know what love feels like, that wasn’t it. Doesn’t matter, so one day I come home and she is a mess. She had been crying and she could barely get any words out. She tells me that she’s pregnant.”

I tried to stay quiet and not ask questions, but it was getting more and more difficult.

“I’m not going to sit here and beat around the bush. I have money and I have job security and I have always wanted a big family, so when she told me I wasn’t upset. I was okay with it. A little Tanger running around, how cool would that be? Again off topic, but she starts yelling at how there is no way that I would a child and how it’s all her fault that she got pregnant. I just remember thinking like either she has gone crazy or it was the baby hormones. I kept reassuring her that I was okay and I was happy. After a couple of days she calmed down. Well, then I wanted to go the doctor with her to see the blob that was going to be my kid and hear the heart beat cause I knew that you could hear it like super soon in the pregnancy. “

“How far along was she?”

“I’m not good with the medical stuff, but she said 4 weeks.”

“That’s awfully soon to know that she was pregnant” I said, and I got a feeling something wasn’t adding up.

“I know. Well, I know now. So we went to the doctor and I got to hear my child’s heartbeat. It was so cool. I was so excited, but Alex still seemed really put out. I kept reassuring her that I was excited, because I was. I remember I had just bought the crib and I was putting it together and she came home. She wasn’t crying or anything just really out of it. “

He took a deep breath and his eyes were glassing over. He took a few more deep breaths and they were shaky. He looked at me and I couldn’t help it, I took his hand in mine.

“She told me she got rid of it. I know girls have a right to their bodies any everything and I respect that, but she didn’t even tell me. She didn’t even ask me what I wanted. She just did it. Don’t I get a say what happens to my baby too?”

He was crying now and so was I. I officially felt bad for being such a bitch to him.

“We got into a big fight. I was so mad, I couldn’t even think straight. I just remember yelling at her. Dianna I called her so many names. So many terrible things. Then she started to call me names. Then she told me that the baby wasn’t mine. She said she slept with someone else because she knew I had been cheating on her. I wasn’t though. I’m not that guy. I don’t sleep around. But she slept with this guy from work. She got pregnant. Dianna, I pushed her. I didn’t mean to get like that. I would never harm a girl I just remember she started pushing me and hitting my chest telling me how bad of a person I was and I just picked her up and threw her on the ground. “

I crawled across the counter and hugged his arm. I couldn’t imagine someone doing that to Kris. He was unrealistically nice. Well, at least of the ice. Now, I knew why he was so hesitant.

“I would never do that to you Dianna. I would never lay a hand on you”

“Kris, I know that. What she did is unforgivable.”

“I didn’t want to tell you because. Everyone I know always leaves me. “

His tears were falling pretty steadily now.

“My dad said he would be at my game and he didn’t and I never saw him again. I was 8 and he just never came home. I don’t know why he didn’t want to stay. My mom was so upset I had to stay with my aunt and uncle for a year. Three years ago, Luc dies. He was my best friend. I can’t lose you too. I can’t lose my girl”

“I’m not going anywhere, ma loupe. “

Kris’s POV

I cried in Dianna’s shoulder like a little kid. She held me though as best she could. I was so far in love with her that if she decided now to leave me I might as well just find a quiet place to live all by myself.

“I’m going to be gone for two weeks Dianna for games,” I whispered to her once I calmed down.

“Maybe that’s a good thing. Time to clear your head through a game you love,” she was still holding me.

“I don’t want to be away from you, Dianna”

“Kris, I need time to think,”

I pulled away from her, that isn’t what I wanted to hear. I wanted her to say that everything was back to normal.

“I would never hurt you Dianna, I would never do anything to cause you harm. I promise, please don’t push me away. “

“It has nothing to do with that. But I think you’re not over Alex. There is so much hurt that you need to work through”

I couldn’t believe this was happening. This is why I didn’t want to tell her.

“I’m over Alex, Dianna. 100% over it. “ I reminded her again.

“Then why does she still call you? Why do you still have her number?”

“Because she isn’t over it, I’ve moved on Dianna. I had a whole year to heal. Please, don’t let me go”

“I’m not, Kris. I’ll be here, but we both need time to think”

I fucking hated this night more than anything. I just wanted to crawl into bed with Dianna again. I wanted to feel her freezing feet on my calf and watch as she pretended she didn’t know she was doing it. I wanted to watch her cook breakfast in one of my t-shirts.

“How will I know you’ll be here when I get back?”

She pulled me to her and kissed my lips very gently, it was barely a kiss.

Then she whispered, “Because I’ve been to hell and back too”
♠ ♠ ♠
SO, this one is super long. *that's what she said* anyway, I hope you guys like it. I know it's a lot of drama, but it'll get better. One way or another ;)

Also, Kris' personality is based off of my finance's a lot. As most of you know I'm pregnant and I officially cannot see my feet. So, my lovely man painted my toe nails for me. What a man. If you have a man or woman, whatever, tell them how much you appreciate them today. You never know when you won't be able to see your toes.

Also, he makes me a lot of PB&J's, which is the only thing I crave.

As for most of you thinking that Dianna is a bit of bitch for not taking Kris back right away. I slightly agree with you, but you'll see what happens. It'll be good...sometimes good is bad though, right?