Status: New, active

The Downfall of Us All

Tom

I sat in my office, waiting for Theresa, my boss, to come give me the ‘important information.’ Impatiently, I taped my foot to a slower version of own of my brother’s songs. I didn’t personally like death metal, but yes, they could be catchy. My office was too cold for comfort, right about the time I went to go change the thermostat, Theresa waltzed in, forcing me to sit back down.

She looked worried. Confused. “Tom, we need a big favor.”

“Yes?”

“There’s this patient, she just got out of a coma of ten years. Nobody is willing to fill in for physical therapy for her, you’re the only person we still have hope in.”

“I don’t think I have the ti-”

She cut me off. “I know we haven’t gave you work in a while but we’ll pay you extra.”

I pondered on the thought. I would have to stick with this girl for about one year through physical therapy. It would take a lot of time, but am I willing to do this for double the money? “Tell me about the girl.”

“Her name is Arielle. She is twenty years old, she hit her head on a barricade at some juvenile concert, knocked her out.” She sighed and looked to the tile floor of my office. “Please, just believe in her. She’s not doing very well. She looks so out of it, dazed, confused. Her mum and bruv are crying in the room, she’s just sitting there.”

I’d feel bad if I didn’t take this offer, I’d feel bad for the rest of my life. “I’m going to need them out of the room so I can talk to her. I’ll have to cancel some things, but I’ll do it.”

Happiness drowned her eyes as she lifted her head from the ground. “Thank you so much Tom. She’s in room six-fourteen.”

I walked past her before she could see me smile. “Don’t mention it.” I loved making people happy, but I just couldn’t have myself let someone see me as happy as them.

I walked a couple steps away from Theresa, facing the elevator. The big, circular button with the arrow pointing up turned red a couple seconds after I pushed it. Ding. The elevator rang a shrill, short bell and the doors on either side opened. I walked into the small, squared space, head down. I noticed the pattern on the carpet of the hospital floor, it was deviant.

I past room six hundred. Six hundred two. Six hundred twelve…and finally I was here. I reached for the door knob- stone cold. Before I pushed the door open, I listened in to what sounded like her mum. Sobs came from inside her, and then it stopped. I opened the door slowly, greeting the mum with a nod.

“’Ello.” My voice almost came as a whisper, I felt deep sorrow in this room. “Can I please have a talk with your daughter for a moment?”

The mum wheezed out a “Sure.”

“Thank you, very much.”

I made sure Arielle’s mum closed the door behind her. “Hi, Arielle.”

She looked around the room with mystify clouding her eyes, inescapably she stopped staring, and moved her eyes towards me. Her head was searching for words to tell me, but she was at loss for them. I could tell in her facial expression, that she didn’t know a thing that was going on at this point.

“I’m Tom, nice to meet you.” I smiled, “Arielle. Your name is Arielle.”

I tried to jog her memory, but her mind just wasn’t taking it from me.

Arielle had cinnamon colored, coiled hair. It shined like copper. Her eyes were a staggering, deep, hazel, with a tint of olive green to the middle. She had a pale complexion, but it didn’t matter. Arielle was simply beautiful, not the kind of girl you’d see in a million years.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment and subscribe
OR WE WON'T UPDATE ANYMORE.
- kayla