Status: somethingnew(:

Double Standards

Cliché

“Ugh, he makes me so angry!” April exclaimed. The three girls were currently at the mall having bit of a much needed girl day.

“Who?” Kate asked.

“John! He keeps texting me.” It has been about three days since that little meeting at his house, and she’s tried to avoid him since. April knows that she’s only attracted to John in a physical level and that’s not good at all. So to keep her occupied, she’s spent time with Garrett, who she can honestly say she does like him for his personality. But, she hates to say it; he’s not a spontaneous as John is.

“About?” Loren turned completely around from her manicure to look at her.

“Like, how he keeps wanting to see me and spend time with me. But I keep trying to explain to him, that he can’t feel this way toward me because he doesn’t even know me. Then he argues that he does.” April sighed.

“Ha! All that boy knows about you is the inside of your mouth.” Kate said and Loren busted out laughing. April just stared at her wide eyed. “Let me see your phone.” Kate said taking it without April even consenting her. “Oh look, he just said ‘Give me a chance to get to know you then.’ Ohh, sounds nice.”

“Tell him to take her on a date!” Loren jumped in. April kept struggling to get her phone back but she couldn’t reach Kate’s long arms.

“I told him ‘Fine, one chance.’ Let’s see how fast he replies.” Kate smirked. “Oh look, Garrett text you too. He said ‘Hey there April. What are you up to today?’ How sweet. Ignore!” Kate exclaimed.

“No! Don’t ignore Garrett!” April exclaimed.

“Come on April, you spend all the time with him, give John a chance okay?” Loren swayed her and April just crossed her arms and pouted.

“John will be here in twenty minutes to get you.” Kate smirked.

**

“Hey Jean, you look good.” John said as he approached her at the mall. Kate and Loren had walked away so it was just those two alone in the food court. Every time he calls her Jean, it just reminds her that she can’t let it slip. She wants to tell him, but she didn’t want him to be mad or anything. But she figured that this will all be over soon enough before she has to tell him the truth.

“You know, I’m only doing this because my friends are making me. No funny business O’Callaghan.” April said stubbornly and John kind of chuckled. But she instantly felt bad for being kind of bitchy. “You look good too,” she commented, noticing he was wearing a black leather blazer over a loose white tee and skinny jeans. His eyes were covered with a pair of sunglasses and his hair was slightly messy. She sighed, “what’s the plan?”

“It is a surprise.” He said and offered his hand out for her. She reluctantly took it and laced their fingers together. John led her through the parking lot and helped her into his truck. They drove for about ten minutes just listening to the radio. John held her hand while he drove and honestly, he liked the fact that even though it was silent, it wasn’t awkward. At least, not for him. John noted in the back of his head that she held his hand and didn’t pull away once. “Have you ever been to Freestone Park before?”

“Yeah,” April smiled, that’s where she met Garrett.

“What’s with the smile?” John asked curiously.

“Oh, just a good memory of that place. Met some nice people there.” She said trying to hide her smile as she thought of Garrett.

“Oh? Like who?” John asked.

“That is none of your business,” April said jokingly and smiled at him.

“Oh, my bad. I was just trying to get to know you!” He said sarcastically and April giggled.

“How about you try a different approach?”

So John did. He asked her about her favorite hobbies, her favorite type of music, what her family is like, and what life is like for her now. It wasn’t a lot of information, but it was enough for a conversation to spawn for ten minutes until they pulled up to the park. They both got out of the car, and John, once again, took her hand in his and led the way toward the picnic area. There were few people there, but April noticed that John already had an area set up for them.

There was a small blanket laid down with a brown basket next to it. As cliché as it was, April thought it was cute and she couldn’t help but giggle at it. They sat down and John laid out some snacks for them to have. April liked how they were just laying there on the blanket talking some more and learning about each other. Okay, April admitted, this was nice. It was finally around five o’ clock when they decided to head out. April was ready to get home; this was all so overwhelming for her.

John drove her to her house and walked her to her door. “Why are you laughing at me?” John asked.

“You’re making this so cliché,” she said when they were at the door.

“I’m trying to get it through you’re head this is how it’s supposed to be. Not making out at a party.” He pointed out making April blush. “Not that I didn’t like it!” He stumbled.

“Oh stop.” April said looking down. John couldn’t resist. He placed his finger under her chin and lifted her face up. With his other, he pushed the hair out of her face. “I just want to do this the normal way,” he mumbled and leaned down to kiss her. It was soft, sweet, and sent sparks through John’s body. April happily kissed him back nicely before pulling away.

“Do you normally kiss on the first date?” She smirked.

“Are you saying this is a date?” John said lingering a bit.

“Good-bye John,” she said and turned to go inside.

“Bye Jean.” He smiled and strutted back to his car. This is going smoothly.

April sunk to the bottom of her door onto the floor. She can’t deny that she liked the kiss. But this was too much for her to handle now. John or Garrett. Garrett or John. Ugh, why is this so complicating. April pulled her phone out and demanded that Loren and Kate come over now.
♠ ♠ ♠
the song April Jean by My Girl Friday came on, and it inspired me.
i thought I'd give John Ohhh a chance. comments?