‹ Prequel: An Unbreakable Bond
Sequel: To Be Strong

Beautiful Remains

Will/Dean

Will

I fell to my knees, and felt Dean drop down and wrap his arms around my shoulders. "You've got to be joking? Please tell me this is all just a joke," I whispered, meeting the doctor's gaze. His saddened face only deepened. I screamed in pain, in anger.

I heard someone come in, and realized it was Chase. "What's going on?" he asked slowly, looking at me. "Willy, what's going on?" he whispered, kneeling before me. I looked at him, my eyes screaming pain and tears pouring out.

"The attack didn't do anything horrid, but he's in stage three of brain cancer," I said, watching Chase's face go from worried to pained. We wrapped our arms around one another, Dean joining in soon afterwards.

None of us spoke for the entire time we were there. It was too painful to say anything without the tears starting. After a while, once me and Chase had calmed down enough, we walked out of the room and headed for the waiting area. Dean went to go get coffee as Chase curled up on the couch beside me, using my thigh as a pillow. Before I knew it, he fell asleep. Soon afterwards, I joined him.

--

Dean

As I was standing in line at the Starbucks a block away from the hospital, I watched couples around the shop enjoying their time together. I felt bad for Will, having only spent so much time with Quintin only for Quintin to pass away a short time later.

I felt even worse for Quintin, though. He was a young man, and had a long life ahead of him. Now, it's being cut so short. To have brain cancer -- in a stage where it cannot be taken care of too much, if at all -- is worse than anything imaginable. To have found a guy as good as Will, who would do anything to make sure he would be okay, and to be comfortable with such a large group of friends -- family -- to accept him and love him for who he is, only to be taken away from them was unimaginably wrong.

It was finally my turn, and I ordered a latte with extra shots. I know Will and Chase were tired and were going to need the sleep, so I thought it would be best if I lost a bit of sleep and keep them updated as much as possible.

Once I got my latte, I walked the short way back to the hospital and saw Will sitting up, and walked over to him. I smiled as I saw him sleeping as peaceful as he could. I looked down at Chase, he was passed out, too. Sitting in a nearby chair, I watched them sleep, knowing that both of them were going through a lot.

First with that guy who put Quintin here in the first place, then finding out about the cancer. I sighed, and looked up when I saw the rest of the gang came in and sat down around us. I filled them in and they all looked at Will and Chase with looks of sympathy.

Here we all were, in the hospital, not knowing how we were going to go on, knowing that we were losing a great member of our family. No one spoke, and everyone turned off their cellphones. We had a lot on our plates as it was, we didn't want anyone calling us or disturbing the sleep of two of the bravest men I knew.