‹ Prequel: An Unbreakable Bond
Sequel: To Be Strong

Beautiful Remains

Chase -Point of View-

I stood in the doorway of the kitchen,watching the guys talk quietly to each other,some laughing others just listening. I reached up and gripped the small necklace I had around my neck,a small inclosed heart holding some of my best friend.

Without a word to anyone,I turned and walked out the door. Wanting to be alone and left to my thoughts as I disappeared into the night sky. As I walked a trail I had only walked months before with Quintin at my side. I stopped and stared up at the sky,staring up at the stars as they shined down,untouched by pain and sorrow.

I sat down and leaned against the tree,staring into the darkness as I thought about when I first met Quintin.

Ten years ago

I was outside playing by myself when I heard a voice speak up behind me "Do you want to play with me?" the voice asked,I turned and saw a boy my age standing against a tree not far from me.

I smiled brightly and nodded,waving him over as we started playing in the creek. I was so happy to have a new friend,no longer alone. After what seemed like hours Quintin and I were laying on the bank,staring up at the clouds as they passed us.

"That one looks like a dog" Quintin laughed,his Irish accent light and funny. I laughed as well and pointed out one as well,telling him it looked like a bunny.

I soon heard my mother call me inside for dinner,the sun setting in the distence. Quintin and I shook hands "Friends forever?" He asked,his eyes shining.

I gripped his hand tightly and hugged him "Forever Quinny!" I said before running off to home.


Present

I opened my eyes to feel tears streaming down my cheeks "We promised forever Quinny..ten years wasn't near enough" I cried,placing my face in my hands, I felt a warm breeze take over my body,blowing leaves around me.

I held back a sob and leaned back against the tree as I started singing the first song that came to my heart.

Spend all your time waiting
For that second chance,
For a break that would make it okay.

There's always some reason
To feel not good enough,
And it's hard, at the end of the day.

I need some distraction,
Oh, beautiful release.
Memories seep from my veins.

Let me be empty,
Oh, and weightless,
And maybe I'll find some peace tonight.

In the arms of the angel,
Fly away from here,
From this dark, cold hotel room,
And the endlessness that you fear.
You are pulled from the wreckage,
Of your silent reverie.
You're in the arms of the angel,
May you find some comfort here.

So tired of the straight line,
And everywhere you turn,
There's vultures and thieves at your back.

The storm keeps on twisting.
Keep on building the lies
That you make up for all that you lack.

It don't make no difference,
Escape one last time.
It's easier to believe in this sweet madness,
Oh, this glorious sadness,
That brings me to my knees.

You're in the arms of the angel,
May you find some comfort here.


I heard footsteps coming up as I finished the song and saw Dean standing there,staring at me. I stood up,the fresh tears still falling down my face as I ran into his arms,sobbing into his chest as I gripped the back of his shirt,all the emotions I've held onto for the last six months breaking free as I spilled them onto my loving,caring husband.