Welcome to Mutant High

Connection

"He was hollering out in his sleep and...these walls must be so thin that I could hear him in my room," Rogue said quietly as she sat upon the bed in my room there in the X-Mansion, telling me of what had just happened in Logan's room. "I went into his room, and starting saying his name from the second I stepped foot inside," she went on.

"I sat down on the edge of his bed and shook his shoulder, telling him it was me, and that he was having a nightmare. Then the next thing I know, I'm standing there, a few inches off of the floor, with his claws through my chest. That's when I asked him if his power was regenerative, since I remembered the Professor saying he had uncanny healing powers," Rogue was almost crying now, so I put a friendly hand on her knee, needing to hear the rest of it.

"Logan nodded, he was so scared...the look in his eyes, he knew he had just killed me. I took off my glove and touched his face only with one finger and I could feel the holes in my chest and back start to disappear. I could feel my energy was starting to come back and I knew I wasn't going to die. I removed my finger and then... he fell to the floor. I was so scared he'd be dead," that's when the tears really began to flow.

"Rogue, I know it was such a horrid experience," my fourteen-year-old self told the almost seventeen year old as I wrapped an arm around her and held her to me. "But at the same time, the Professor praised you for handling your powers and knowing just what to do with them in your time of need. Yes, I wish it wouldn't have happened and I'm sure Logan wishes the same thing...but look at the bright sides of it or you'll hate yourself forever." I explained and she looked a little confused for a moment. I'm sure she was thinking 'what bright side is there to almost dying?' but after a moment or so, her face showed she finally understood where I was going with that.

"I suppose Jean or Storm will come looking for me," Rogue said quietly and I shook my head no, which earned Rogue to quirk her brow at me. "Jean's been listening through me. That's why I wanted you to go through such vivid detail of what happened," I explained. Rogue yawned and curled up in my bed.

"Just as good I suppose," she started. "I'm so exhausted, I couldn't tell it all to someone else tonight. Not until morning." I could tell Rogue was definitely tired after all that had happened and now that she had been comforted, she needed the rest.

"You sleep in here tonight. It'll be nice having a roomie," I smiled and within seconds, she was making soft snoring sounds.

Logan's Point of View

I found myself in the medical lab, somewhere I was becoming more and more frequent with. Jean was running more tests on me now after Rogue had did....what she had did. "What the hell was it she done to me?" I asked and earned a response from Professor Xavier.

"Rogue's power is to allow her to borrow other mutants powers. I'm not saying she would grow adamantium claws like yourself, but you have an unbelievably remarkable healing rate and she borrowed that or she would have died, Logan," he explained.

"I feel like I died," I admitted, my eyes now closed as I relaxed for whatever test Jean was running.

"If she would have held out a moment longer, Logan, I believe she could have killed you." The Professor admitted. "Rogue's gift is very unique. I've never come across another mutant like her in all my years. Her power is quite unstable in itself but at least it's easy for us to manage...with no physical contact. If she were to have an active power that just blinking could activate or a change in her mood... we would all be in danger."

Not only did I agree with the Professor as I listened to him, but it seemed Jean did as well.

"You seem healthy as a horse, Logan," Jean admitted and with those words I slipped off of the doctor's table and stood, you could hear bones and adamantium popping as I stretched.

"I'm going to go see if she's alright," and without them saying another word, I left to go back upstairs and check on the girl I had almost murdered about an hour ago now.

I wasn't able to find Rogue in her room but I had a good hunch as to where she would be and I guessed it was Winter's room--the other new girl who would freeze time. I started my descent up a flight of stairs and met the girl coming down them.

Back to Winter's POV

"Where's Rogue," Logan asked and I smiled a bit. It made me happy to know he cared enough about her to go check on her.

"She's up in my room but, she's finally fell asleep after all that happened. I would wait until in the morning to check on her," I suggested and he nodded his head some.

"Is she okay, though?" Logan asked.

"Physically, yes," I replied. "But how would you be after something like that? She came into your room thinking she could easily wake you from a nightmare... it's no secret she's smitten with you," I admitted. I'm sure it was awkward for Logan--I was only fourteen, and Rogue was only a mere few days from seventeen.

"I've never done that to someone before, not that I can remember," Logan said, sounding apologetic right away. I nodded, I'm sure he hadn't done it.

"I doubt it would happen again. Now that it has, I'm sure you'll always sleep with an eye open and ears open, too." Immediately, he chuckled.

"You aren't kidding there, kid. I doubt I'll ever sleep again," I couldn't stop myself from laughing somewhat at that, too.

"I'm sure you will. I think the Professor should, and Jean, monitor your sleep one night. I have a feeling those memories you can't remember... surface in your dreams." It was when I said that, that Logan's eyes widened somewhat.

"That's why they're so vivid for you, isn't it?" I asked about the nightmares. "They feel so real that when you woke up tonight, that's why it was so easy to attack Rogue cause you thought you were attacking someone else..." My voice trailed off and I felt his hand take hold of my wrist, his nails slightly digging into my flesh.

"How are you doing that? It's like you're in my subconscious," I could see the look on his face. Was I really in his mind like he was suggesting right now?

"Logan, I'm not a telepath. I'm not Jean or the Professor..." I reminded him and looked down at his hand around my wrist.. I couldn't help but think that his touch was very warm and that I liked it but I was sure if someone saw him with his hand on me, well, either my bags would be packed in the morning or Logan's would be.

"Maybe I can just read people easily. The human brain has always fascinated me and it does so even more now that... that I have the gift I do and becoming what I am," I admitted and looked up, seeing that he wasn't taking his hand off of my wrist. "Are you thinking if you let go I'm going to run and scream bloody murder?" I asked and he started to take his hand off of my wrist.

"What else can you tell me that's in my head, or that you think is in my head?" Logan asked and I shrugged my shoulders.

"I'll be up all night, let's go see what else is in your head," I suggested and started down the flight of stairs with him, back to his room. If they got mad about it, so be it. Nothing was happening between us...just the fact that maybe I could read his mind better than the Professor.

"I remember Jean and the Professor saying that once two people are connected the way they are, the Professor can hear Jean's thoughts from miles and miles away. So imagine how well he can hear her thoughts when they're side by side? Maybe all we have to do is find our connection," it was rather funny listening to myself suggest this because... I wasn't a telepath. How would it work if I didn't have those powers?

"It's worth a shot. I've got the rest of my life, kid," he admitted and I shrugged, not getting as upset as Rogue had begun to with him calling her kid. I was definitely still more of a kid than she was. "Something made me grab hold of you earlier," Logan said quietly and I nodded.

"Whatever you felt then, when I was in your head... that was the connection." I suggested and Logan agreed.

"Whenever I did feel it though, it might actually be a power Winter, because for a moment...I had sworn I heard your thoughts, too." That's what utterly shocked me. So was this an actual power developing? What in the hell was happening to me?

The two of us stared at one another for what seemed like forever and then suddenly, I felt his hand upon my shoulder, gripping tightly. The connection was there and I could hear him. I could hear him speaking pure as day even though there was nothing he was saying from his mouth. I closed my eyes and listened, listened to what he was saying within his mind and then I started to dig. I would get down to the bottom of this if it's the last thing I do.
♠ ♠ ♠
Word Count: 1,638