Welcome to Mutant High

Goodnight, Winter

After eating with Bobby and Pyro in the kitchen earlier in the evening, I found myself rather curious as to who Jean was tending to down in the lab. I also found myself a little curious at who the new mutant was--newer than me and I hadn't even been here one full day. Storm and Scott had brought me up to my room and I'd began unpacking the rest of my things. The things that were for my eyes, only.

It was only eight at night, I was beginning to wonder if this place had a bedtime? If it wasn't bedtime quite yet, then I wanted to see Jean at least once before bed.. I also found myself somewhat wanting to see Pyro and Bobby again...perhaps they'd be my best of friends while I was here?

The Professor had mentioned that my training, mutant training as the guys had referred to it as, started tomorrow. Was it because I was truly more powerful than them? In retrospect, I suppose one could say that manipulating fire and conjuring ice were "wussy" powers compared to being able to stop time in its tracks.

To look at it egotistically, which it seemed Pyro looked at everything egotistically, one could say that my power was honestly God-like. I put a literal stopper in death. Before the Professor could enter my mind and tell me to quit thinking so highly of oneself, I shook my head and got out of the bed. I calmed my thoughts and in my pajamas, began to wonder the halls of the Xavier School for Gifted Youngsters.

I made it down to the main level and saw Jean as she stepped out of the elevator from "below", where we'd been when I first arrived here--which was usually off limits to students (those that didn't arrive on the X-Jet anyway...) "Is he alright?" I asked, to which Jean got a rather perplexed look upon her face. "Scott and Storm, they told me you were tending to a guy that was with the newly activated mutant?" I offered and she nodded then immediately.

"Sometimes, I think you're a telepath with the things you say--then I realize, it's not that.. you just pick up on so much, so quickly." Jean admitted and I smiled at her compliment. Then she went on to say, "but yes, he'll be alright I believe. He has uncanny regenerative abilities. All of his wounds are healed, but I think his mind needs a little rest..so he's out like a light, as they'd say." She explained and I couldn't help but laugh.

"So what are you doing out of bed?" Jean asked as she walked with me through the hallways, heading to--well, I had no idea. "I wasn't sure if this place had a bedtime..." "Well," she started, "if you're truly going to start your training with the Professor in the morning, then you'd best get a good nights rest. He'll want you up by at least seven in the morning for breakfast. The typical bedtime for students is around ten. We don't mind you coming down for a midnight snack, if your tummy is really that empty. But then it's right back up to bed. Weekends there isn't a bed time, so no frowns."

How could I? Ten o'clock was later than my own parents ever let me stay up at home.. in a way, ten o'clock was perfect. "So how's the new mutant then...?" I asked as we sat down upon the couch in a lounge area, like a living room. "She's alright. She says her name is Rogue. Pretty shaken up..especially about her power. She's strong, like you; powers uncontrollable but hers are much more dangerous. With just a touch, an unclothed touch, she can kill a human." Jean explained and I couldn't help the fact that my eyes got rather wide. "Any idea what her touch will do to a mutant like us?"

"I believe that Rogue will 'borrow' in a sense, another mutants powers--if she touches one. Of course, this theory is yet to be tested," explained the Professor as he rolled up next to me, where the couch wasn't, in his wheelchair. "Borrow a power? So if she touched me, she could freeze time then?" I questioned and he nodded, "theoretically yes. I'd love to test her powers but.. we'll save that for once she's more acquainted. Until Logan is up and awake, I don't believe she'll actually let her guard down.." Jean agreed with the Professor about this. Jean also seemed quite firm in her belief that Logan would probably awake in the morning.

"It's off to bed though, Winter. I have a physics class in the morning at nine, after breakfast. It'll last until close to eleven, then I'm free to help you with your training. You're free to come to the physics class." I rubbed my forehead a little, blinking a few times. "I barely understand basic algebra, Professor. I think physics is way too advanced for me."

"Science it is then, tomorrow at one in the afternoon. Storm will come get you before class to show you to which room she holds it in; she's the teacher." He explained and I nodded, standing up off of the couch and giving Jean a hug. "Goodnight Jean, and thanks for everything you've done for me today." "No thanks needed, Winter. Just try and get a good night's sleep." I nodded and walked towards the Professor, also giving him a hug. "Thank you the very most, for making me feel so very, very accepted."

"As Jean said, Winter, no thank you needed. Nothing gives me more joy or pleasure than helping out a struggling youngster. It gives my life..purpose," he admitted and I gave him a smile, leaving the living area and heading up the stairs to the bedrooms and found my own, closing the door behind me. As custom dictates, my being fourteen years old, I sat down on my bed and began to write in my journal about the day.. This was going to take a while...
♠ ♠ ♠
Word Count: 1,006