Status: Completed

I'd Drop A Beat For You

I'd Drop a Beat For You 03

“What the fuck are you doing here?” She asks.
“Well, Pauly decided to come and he couldn’t go alone and I-
“No, not you Jenni, I’m glad you’re here,” She smiles at her friend. “Pauly, why the fuck are you here?”
“You break up with me and you think that I’m just going to let you get away without an explanation?” He steps closer to her. He takes her yogurt and spoon away and places them on the mail counter.
“I figured you were too busy,”
“Busy doing what?”
“Pauly it’s over. Okay? Period, that’s it. We’re done. You can move out when you get back. I know you’d rather be in L.A. anyway,” She says. She walks into the living room and takes a bite of her yogurt.
“No, it isn’t over,” Pauly says. He follows right after her. “Jenni get some food in the kitchen.”
“Oh Jen are you hungry? There’s stuff for sandwiches, cereal, left over Thai food. Help yourself,” Sophia smiles. Jenni smiles back, gratefully before walking into the kitchen.
“Sophia we need to talk,”
“No, we don’t,” She says. She sits down and finishes her yogurt. “You drove all this way for nothing.”
“Why are you doing this? Why are you fucking doing this? What do you think these three years have been? Just a fucking good time? I fucking love you and you know it. You know I don’t fall in love easily and I am fucking not giving you up just because you feed me a fucking lie!” He yells. Sophia stands up and begins walking away. Pauly grabs her arm and spins her around. She is pressed right against his chest.
“Let me go,” She says. The tears start to fall.
“Not until you tell me why the fuck you are being so weird,”
“No,”
He lets go of her arm.
“What the fuck were these three years for Soph? Huh? What were they for? Were we just messing around? Is living together just for fun? Are we buying a car together and looking at houses just for fun? If we are then whey are we together?”
“It wasn’t for fun! It wasn’t for fun at all!” She yells back.
“Oh yeah? Then why are you trying to end it now?”
She stares at him. he’s mad, the only other time he was mad at her was when she teased him for two years before clueing him in on the fact that she wanted to make sure he really loved her before sleeping with him. Even then, he wasn’t that angry, he was just confused. He doesn’t even seem angry now, just hurt.
“Because I can’t love you!”
“What?”
“I can’t love you,”
“Then why string me along?”
“Because, before I knew it I was hopelessly in love with you Pauly. That is absolutely terrifying. I’m not supposed to fall in love. I’m not supposed to fall asleep next to you every night and hope and pray that this is how it will be for the rest of our lives. I’m not supposed to want to start a family with you. I, I look at you and I melt. My heart starts racing and I’m just, so in love with you. I can’t be. I can’t love you,” Sophia wipes her eyes under her glasses. “I broke it off because I’m terrified. I’d,” She looks away. her eyes wander the walls, landing on a picture of her and Pauly that Vinny took a year ago. “I’d rather be alone and hurting than have you and watch you walk away.”
“How do you think I feel? I’m terrified of you walking away from me. I know how guarded you are, how you like to keep things hidden. I spend half the time trying to understand what goes through your head. I stick around because I love you. You know that I love you,”
“That doesn’t stop my fears Paul. I don’t know if you even want what I do!”
“Here,” he digs in his pocket and hands her the velvet box. She opens it and stares at the content.
“What the fuck is this?”
“And engagement ring,”
“For me?”
“No for JWoww, of course it’s for you. You go on and on about not knowing what I want. I talked to your dad a month ago! I’ve had this ring for weeks! I’ve been keeping it with me at the Shore so you wouldn’t find it. I want what you want babe. I want to marry you. I want to wake up next to you every morning. I wanna have really loud Italian black babies with you. So don’t fucking play that card,” Pauly says. He takes the ring from Sophia and places it on her ring finger. She rolls her eyes. Pauly tilts her chin up. “I love you,”
“I love you too,” she says. His lips meet hers. “I’m really sorry. I just, fear got to me and-
“What matters is that you’re my guidette. Always and forever,”
“Is this a real engagement? Or is it just, a spur of the moment get her to stop crying engagement?”
“Pauly doesn’t fake anything,”
“I really love you.”
“Comeback to the Shore with me tonight,”
“Paul I can’t. I’ve got work,”
“It’s summer. Take a week off and come to the Shore. I miss you,”
“I’ll make a few calls. Go check on Jenni,” she kisses his cheek and picks up her cell phone.
“Jenni,” Pauly walks into the kitchen. Jenni sits eating a sandwich, drinking a soda and flipping through a photo album. “What is that?”
“Christmas of last year. You two are so in love,” she says. “Seems that conversation went well.”
“Yeah, it did,”
“Are you blushing? Pauly D, blushing!”
“Shut up,”
“So, she coming to the Shore?”
“Yeah, for a week,”
“She’s going to be so much fun!”
“You know she doesn’t drink right?”
“Yes I know.”
“Good, I don’t want Snickers trying to get her wasted,”
“Snooks will be too busy getting wasted herself,”
“True,”
“Hey babe,” Sophia says walking into the kitchen. “Just give me twenty minutes and we can leave,” she smiles at him before disappearing into the bedroom.
“She’s got the ring on,”
“You heard the whole story,”
“You’re getting married Pauly,”
“I know,”
“You got what you wanted?”
“I did, I did,” Pauly smiles to himself.