A different type of Kiss.

Birthday kisses.

Sophia… Sophia…’ the voice of Jacob black whispered in my name, his soft breath floating across my lips. Just inches, seconds before out lips touched in a never-ending kiss…

“SOPHIA!” the picture, the feeling shattered as my name cold, loud and scratched was being screamed. Ever nerve in my body being jolted awake. Looking around waiting for the world to fall apart but only to see my mother, cross-legged at the end of my bed with the Cheshire cat’s grin painted across her face.

“Happy Birthday Sweetie.” She practically sang. The blast wakening had me in a daze. Flipping open my phone, the date read seventh of April, sure enough it was my birthday, the special sweet sixteen.

“Thanks mom. So this means I can skip school right?” asking with a sweet little girl smile.

“Yeah when pigs fly high, babe. Now get out bed, get dress and get out. I have stuff to do that can’t be done with you here.” She answered getting out off my bed and crossing my room and out the door.

“Mom! You promised no parties this year!” I yelled after her, only to be answered with a whistled melody.

Every year my mother has, what she calls a ‘birthday party’ for me. Which in reality is a house full of people I don’t know and way to much alcohol to be consumed. Don’t misunderstand, my mother is an amazing mother, who cares for me, and loves and will never put me in any type of danger. Its just once a year she throws herself a congratulatory party in keeping me alive and healthy for those many years.

At school I am quickly greeted, congratulated with birthday wishes, first from my two best friends, Amber, and Simon. Amber is my female non-biological twin joined at the hip. We have been together since the early years of kindergarten, indescribably close at heart. Second is my male half-twin Simon. He came into our trio little later, coming in as a full fledge homosexual. But he’s not your average gay blade, he may rock the skin tight skinny jeans but try to push him in a locker or throw a gay joke his way and you will end up with a broken, or close to, nose. 100% guaranteed.

“Sophy, mama Heff throwing one of those wild-ass parties tonight?” Simon asked across the lunch table.

“Probably even though I told her not too.”

“Yeah, then this time invite people too it. Your moms going to be so wasted that she wouldn’t even notice the crowd of underage minors running around with shots.”

“Simon, don’t be so stupid. You know how much trouble her mom would get into if anything happened, or how much trouble Sophy would get into when she noticed.” Amber said the words before my mouth could make them.
Simon with the well-practiced perfected eye roll dropped the subject knowing his defeat.

“How about this Sim, why don’t you and Amber just come and indulge in the ‘beverages’ and have fun?”

“Better than nothing.” He asked now pleased.

With the end of the conversation was the end of the period and the end of school. Amber and I piled into Simon’s ‘too slow to shit’ truck and headed to run to their houses for clothes than back to my house for the party.

Fully surprised at the vacancy of our driveway when coming home at eight when it was to be expected for the party to start at six like usual. With caution and curiosity we walked into my house to see a birthday decorations everywhere, streamers, balloons, confetti, posters, signs and more was hanging from every light, covering every door, draped on every table.

“Holy Shit.” The three of us said in perfect unison.

“Mom!” I called into the birthday jungle.

“Sophia, your home finally.” She answered coming around the corner with a pointed birthday hat on.

“Where is the party?” I asked still wide-eyed with amazement.

“You didn’t want one. So I thought that I would decorate and then we will just open presents. Hey Amber, Simon come stay with us for Sophia’s birthday.”

With a simple nod of agreement we followed my mom into the living room where more balloons waited. My mother gave me her present first, a small box simple in décor, complete opposite of the house, with a single ribbon.

Opening it gently not wanting to ruin the beauty of it, to reveal a beautiful two-piece ring. The inner ring had a single diamond not huge and flash but small and exquisite and the outer ring was diamond encrusted with an opening the allowed the inner ring to slip in and nestle in the center. I was lost for words as I study it; the true beauty of it surpassed anything I ever seen in the most upscale jewelry store.

“Mom, its- its-“ words could not describe its splendor.

“I know, when I first received it, I couldn’t find the words either.” Confusion grabbed hold of me quick. I looked up to see a woman gazing upon the ring with such emotion I couldn’t recognize her as my mother.

“This was yours?” I asked her, breaking the trance she was locked in.
“Yes, long ago and now its yours. Take care of it and you better not lose it.” Sounding more like the women I call, mom, but still there in her eyes lye love and most definitely pain.

“Me next!” Simon broke, shoving a present in my hands not before I slipped the ring on my finger for a perfect fit.

Simon, knowing me so well and having the fashion gay guys are known for, gave me the perfect pair of jeans with shirt so reveling I mistaken it for lingerie. Amber being the perfect twin, gave me the most gorgeous bag anyone with a bag obsession like me could ask for.

The night ended perfectly with the most delicious birthday cake ever. Simon and Amber left shortly after eleven. I was heading for my room when my mom called me.

“Sophie, I have one more present for you.” She called from the living room. I walked in and my jaw hit the floor, hard. There standing next to my mom was a guy, shirtless for the world to see his abs and chested sculpted by the gods themselves, wearing a bar of baggy jeans hanging perfect on his hips, and a big ass red bow around his neck. Head hung low, hair just long enough to shield his eyes “Happy Birthday Mistress Sophie.”

Mistress?!?!
♠ ♠ ♠
???