Status: Active

This Moment was Held for Me

Ice Cream

The next day during lunch break I got a message from Frank which read:
Can we hang out this afternoon? I can pick you up from school
I quickly texted back because some teachers hated kids using phones at school:
Sure meet me by the fence where we got busted last time ;)

Finally 3pm rolled around and Frank was waiting for me where I asked him.
“Wanna get ice cream?!” he grinned like a kid.
I laughed, “Hello to you too,” I said as I walked up to him and kissed him lightly on the lips.
“Hi baby,” he said with a smile.
“So,” I said hitching my school bag back over my shoulder, “You want ice cream?”
He grinned eagerly, “Yup! I’m craving it.”
I pushed his shoulder playfully, “Shit, cravings already? I didn’t knock you up did I?”
He laughed and draped his arm around my shoulder, “Very funny,” he said.
“Wow, was that sarcasm?”
He looked at me out of the corner of his eye with a smile, “Looks like you’re rubbing off on me.”
We continued to walk out of the school gates and onto the sidewalk. Frank shifted his arm off my shoulder, and instead, interlaced his fingers with mine.
“What’s your favourite flavor?” he asked me as he swung our interlocked hands.
I thought for a moment before responding, “I really like choc-chip.”
“Know what’s better?” he said eagerly, “Mint choc-chip!”
I laughed, “Yeah that’s pretty good.”
He licked his lips and winked at me, “My favourite.”
“You’re so cute,” I laughed at his excitement and quickly pecked him on the lips again.
Suddenly a car horn beeped which made Frank and I turn our heads to the road. It was Elle in her brand new pink car.
I rolled my eyes and muttered, “Here comes trouble.”
Frank looked at me “Who’s she?”
“Let’s just say that she’s not a friend,” I quickly explained.
Elle pulled up to the curb and leant out of her window.
She sneered at both of us and said to me, “Didn’t Mommy tell you not to kiss boys?”
Out of the corner of my eye, I noticed Frank frown. I sighed, I really didn’t want Frank to find out the real reason I was grounded. I thought all that was in the past.
I rolled my eyes at Elle and snapped back, “Didn’t Mommy ever tell you not to dress like a slut?” I paused and scoffed, “Wait. She dresses like one too.”
“Shut up,” Elle sneered back at me, “You should be careful with how you talk to me. Otherwise, I’ll tell your Mom about your boy,” she said looking at Frank with disgust, “And we all know she won’t be happy,” she warned before speeding off.
Frank looked at me, “What was that about?”
I sighed and looked at the pavement, “She’s just a bitch.”
“Doesn’t she realize that your Mom’s already met me?” Frank said.
I shrugged in response.
Frank sighed, “Mia, you gotta communicate with me. What was that girl talking about?”
I bit my lip knowing that I’d have to be honest with Frank, “My Mom’s kind of wary about boys and boyfriends…and all that…” I trailed off. I looked back up at him.
Frank hugged me comfortingly, “Oh well. At least your Mom isn’t wary about me. So we won’t have to worry it when I’m your boyfriend.”
I pulled away from his embrace, “What?”
Frank shrugged, “I’ve been meaning to ask you officially anyway. Aren’t we gonna be a couple?”
I took a hesitant step backwards, “Um, I really…can we just,” I trailed off as I collected my thoughts. I didn’t want to have to explain the whole back story to Frank about my Mom just yet. And I definitely didn’t want to make any relationship decisions spur of the moment. I fiddled with my bag as I thought. Frank watched my hands nervously play on the strap.
“Stop fiddling,” he said quietly.
I ignored him and sighed, finally brave enough to talk again, “Look, can we not have this conversation right now? I kind of don’t want to have to think about it right now. School was shitty and I just really want to chill out. Forget about Rachelle.”
Frank frowned and looked kind of hurt.
“I’m just really tired Frank. Can we just talk about it another time,” I said quietly.
He looked up at my face and I tried to appear really worn out.
He shoved his hands in his pockets, “Okay. Another time,” he said and continued walking. I paused a moment before running up to catch up with him. Our footsteps fell in time with each other. There was an awkward silence between us.
“You want choc-chip?” Frank asked and looked up at me as if nothing bad had ever happened.
I smiled at him. I was so grateful that he wasn’t upset. He understood that now just wasn’t the time.
“Nah, I’ll try mint choc-chip,” I said as I linked my arm with his and cuddled into his side.

“Dinner is ready!” my Mom yelled from downstairs.
“I’m not hungry,” I yelled back.
“What?”
“I’m not hungry!”
“You what?”
I sighed and hoped off from my desk, wrenched open the door, and leaned over the staircase banister, “I am not hungry!” I yelled loudly.
Mom walked over to the staircase banister at the bottom of the stairs, “Why not?” she asked me with her hands on her hips.
I walked down a few steps so it was easier to talk to her, “I had a big afternoon tea with Frank.”
She nodded slowly, “Oh, I didn’t know.”
I shrugged in response.
“How’s it going with him?” she asked in an attempt to be casual.
“Fine,” I said casually, “We’re just friends Mom.” I crossed my fingers behind my back. It wasn’t a big lie. Frank and I were basically friends…with benefits…heck, he must be the best friend I’ve ever had..
She smiled up at me, “Well you’ll need to let me know if that changes.”
While I had Mom in a good mood I decided to ask her permission to go to a party. Frank’s friend was having one and he had invited me, the guys, and Amanda.
“Oh Mom?” I said.
She turned back around to look at me, “Yes honey?”
“Can I go to a party with Amanda this weekend?” I asked innocently.
She thought for a moment, “Do you know the people going?”
I nodded, “Yeah, it’s just people from school.” I crossed my fingers behind my back again.
She nodded and smiled, “Alright. I trust you.”
I bounded up the stairs with a smile on my face, excited for the weekend to come.