Status: Active

This Moment was Held for Me

Curse of the Mother

I returned home and dumped my bag in the doorway. I sighed and kicked off my converse.
“Ma! I’m home,” I yelled out.
“In the kitchen,” she responded, “And make sure you put your things away neatly.”
I rolled my eyes, “Mmmkay.” Not only was my mother strict, she also wanted things to be perfectly neat. Of course, we got on really well and were close. But sometimes she was a huge pain. It took me 5 months to get permission from her for my nose piercing. And it took over 3 weeks for us to decide on a reasonable curfew. I picked up my belongings and carried them up the stairs and into my room. My room was the first door on the landing. The walls were painted a deep purple and my curtains and window drapes were a black French-style design. I had two large windows in my room. One which opened up to a view of the street, and the other was next to my study desk. Both of them were shaded by tall trees that made funny shadows at night time. I walked towards my bed and patted my cat, Moo, who was curled up on my pillow. She was black and white and was forever hiding somewhere in my room. Mom knocked at my door before entering.
“Hey honey,” she said as she hugged me. “I’ve missed you. It feels like you’ve been gone for a week!”
I smiled, “Only 1 day and a half, Mom.”
She tucked some of my bangs behind my ear, “You look more beautiful each day,” she said as she looked at my face thoughtfully.
“Thanks.”
Mom and I both shared the same dark brown wavy hair, the same big dark eyes and the same petite frame.
“So did you have fun?” she questioned, snapping out of her doting state.
“Yeah. Yesterday we went to the gig and today I was at work. Gerard’s getting the tape for me developed.”
She frowned slightly, “Is that safe? Leaving your personal footage with someone else?”
I raised my eyebrows, “You’re right…because Gerard is going to put our concert footage on a porn sight.”
She frowned seriously this time, “You know I hate sarcasm. And don’t say things like that about porn.”
I sighed, “Mom, Gerard isn’t going to do anything bad with the tape!”
“What about the people at the video shop? They could watch it and you would never know,” she pressed.
“So, who cares? I have to get it developed somehow. I doubt they’d have the time or interest to watch it. Besides, it’s just Amanda and I giggling and dancing about.”
“Dancing?” she repeated.
“In a non-suggestive way!” I said defensively.
She made a face, “Okay okay, I’m just checking. That’s very nice of Gerard, I suppose.”
“Yeah it is,” I said folding my arms. I hated how she scrutinized every little detail.
“Dinners on the table, by the way,” she said.
“Mmkay, let’s eat.”
We both stood up and went downstairs. Little did she know, I was shaking my head behind her as we went….no wonder I had never brought a boyfriend home.

The weekend zoomed past and before I knew it my alarm clock was waking me up in time for school. Monday was always such a drag. I rolled out of bed, patting Moo, before flitting off into the bathroom.
“Don’t forget to have breakfast sweetie,” said Mom as she passed me an apple and a bottle of water.
I smiled, “Thanks.”
“I’ll see you at 8pm after your shift,” she called out after me.
After my boring classes, I was finally free of school. I didn’t find work as boring because Gerard was there. Plus, he always had coffee for me in the afternoons after school.
“Hello!” I called out as I walked into the shop. I smiled when I noticed the two big coffees sitting on the counter.
Gerard popped up from behind the counter, “Sugar!”
“What are you doing down there?” I said suspiciously.
“Surprising you?”
“Shouldn’t you have yelled out ‘surprise,’ then instead of ‘sugar’?”
Gerard opened and closed his mouth several times before saying, “Shit.”
I laughed, “Nice try anyway.”
“Next time,” he muttered.
I ignored him and reached out for my coffee, “Thank you!” I sung cheerily at him.
He sipped at his coffee too with his eyes closed.
“So, how’s the tape?” I said.
He frowned, “It’s fine. It’s good. Why wouldn’t it be? It’s not like anything happened to it.”
“Uh..okay?” I said, “Someone’s jumpy.”
He took another sip of his coffee, “Nope. Not me.”
I laughed, “Whatever. Do you know if it’s finished?”
“Yeah, I’ve got it out the back. It’s next to my jacket.”
“That was quick! Tell your friend thank you.”
He cackled, “Sure.”
“Why the crazy cackle?” I asked.
“Why the private investigator questions?” he mimicked my tone.
“Ugh,” I said, hating the thought that I was becoming like my mother.
He chucked his coffee cup in the bin. “I’m working down in ‘horror aisle’ if you need me!” Gerard yelled before skipping off.
“More like reading in the horror aisle,” I muttered to myself with a smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
Next chapter you will meet Frankie <3
I've only got one comment though, which scares me. Should I keep posting?