Status: Active

This Moment was Held for Me

Graduation

“It’s freezing!” I said with a shiver as we hoped out of the car.
“Well of course darling,” Mom said, “It’s snowing.”
I resisted the urge to mutter something sarcastic.
“Let’s hurry up inside,” she said as she locked the car.
We were standing in the school car park. Many other cars and parents were pulling up too. Most kids, I noticed, were smart enough to bring their winter jackets.
“I wonder why the power is out in Building L?” I said, mostly to myself. One of our classroom buildings was pitch black, whilst the others were illuminated.
“Well I did see a couple of power lines out as we drove here,” Mom said. “It must be because of the snowstorm last night.”
Suddenly someone tapped me on the shoulder and I spun around excitedly.
It was Amanda grinning at me happily.
“Can you believe it? We are graduating tonight!” she squealed.
Mom snapped a photo of us hugging. Amanda did a little happy dance and proceeded to babble on about how many years we’d been friends. I held her hand tightly.
“I’m so glad we’re sitting at the same table as well!” she added.
“Me too,” I smiled.
“Well let’s get inside girls. It really is freezing out here,” Mom said as an icy wind picked up. I hoped another snow storm wasn’t about to start tonight.
We soon were seated at our table where Amanda’s parents were waiting for us too. Mom started talking loudly with them immediately. Two other chairs, reserved for Gerard and Frank, were still empty. I wrung my hands nervously. It was still early, I thought to myself.
“I wonder where Gerard and Frank are,” I finally said to Amanda.
She nodded and pulled out her phone, “Maybe their late?”
I waited as she checked her inbox.
“The signal in here is really low,” she said with a sigh, “There are no messages though.”
I bit my lip. I really wanted them to be here tonight.
“They better come,” Amanda huffed.
“I really hope so,” I agreed with her.
She squeezed my hand, “Are you nervous?” she asked me, “To see him?”
I made a face, “A little,” I said, “Actually, a lot.”
She smiled, “It will be okay. I’m sure he’ll be here soon.”
I nodded but couldn’t help but worry that he wouldn’t come because he was still upset with me. Maybe his feelings for me had disappeared completely.
A teacher interrupted my thoughts though as she spoke on the microphone. All the noise in the room died down and parents and students gave their attention to the teacher. She welcomed us to our Graduation Dinner and congratulated us on the year now over.
I looked at Amanda. She shook her head at me. Where were the boys?
After the teacher stopped talking, the entrees then arrived. Our table wasn’t yet served so Amanda called out to her Mom.
“Mom,” she said, “Could I please borrow your phone. My signal is bad.”
Her Mom passed her the mobile and continued her conversation with my Mom.
Amanda frowned, “Ugh,” she sighed, “Mom’s phone is just as bad. It must be the phone lines. Maybe it’s something to do with the snowfall outside?”
“Forget it,” I sighed, “He probably isn’t coming. It’s fine.”
Amanda frowned, “Little fuckers. They have to show! This is the first night you’ve been out of the house in a month! Plus, it’s our graduation night!” she moaned.
Our table was then served our meal. I picked slightly at mine. My appetite had dramatically reduced with the thought that they wouldn’t come tonight.
“Eat up,” Amanda frowned.
“I can’t,” I shook my head, “I think I need some fresh air,” I said as I stood up. I couldn’t help it but the disappointment of them not coming was overwhelming. I had been looking forward to this night for weeks. They were my best friends. I had counted on them. But now, they were over 40 minutes late.
“Mom,” I said tapping her arm lightly, “Sorry to interrupt but I’m just popping outside for fresh air.”
She looked up at me with concern, “Are you okay Mia?”
I smiled weakly, “Not feeling my best, but I’ll be okay.”
She looked around the table and then understood, “Oh!” she said with surprise, “Where are the boys?”
I shrugged, trying not to care, “I don’t know. They aren’t coming I don’t think.”
She frowned and nodded, “Oh well Mia. Try and enjoy your night with Amanda.”
I smiled at her, “Yeah, I will. I’ll be back in a moment though, okay?”
I quickly exited the Graduation Hall and breathed in the cold night air. I could see my warm breath when I huffed out. I choked back some tears that were threatening to spill over. Leaning against the school brick wall I cursed. I wish Frank had come. I wish they could have least told us they weren’t coming. I scuffed my shoe back and forth in the snow as I thought. As I looked around at the school campus surrounding me, I noticed a cigarette light burning under a tree not far from me. A flicker of hope stirred in me. Maybe Frank was just waiting outside for me? Maybe he wanted to talk to me in private before he faced Mom and me again? I quickly began walking over to the tree, unable to see who was holding the cigarette. I could feel myself getting more and more excited as I walked. Finally, though, the person came into view. It was Toby, a boy from my year, with Sarah the girl who had given me a cigarette the day that I forgot my assignment.
They looked up at me in surprise, “Oh hey Mia,” Sarah said, “Did you come out here for a smoke?”
It took a moment for me to regain myself. Disappointment sunk in again.
I coughed, “No,” I began, “I just wanted some fresh air is all.”
Sarah shrugged, “Well you’re welcome to smoke with us if you want. Our parents were getting on our nerves,” she laughed.
I smiled in response, “Thanks.”
“Are your parents here?” Toby asked me. He was an attractive boy with light brown sandy hair and clear blue eyes. We had religion class together but had never really spoke enough to become friends.
“My Mom is,” I replied.
“Your sitting with Amanda, hey?” he asked.
“Yeah,” I nodded, “Our parents know each other well.”
“That’s nice,” Sarah said in between a drag, “Well, Toby and I are in the same math class as Amanda.”
I nodded my head in understanding that we all knew each other somehow.
After a moment Toby asked me another question, “So,” he said, “Will we be seeing you at the after party tonight?”
“Nope,” I said, “I’m not allowed.”
“Oh,” he said with surprise, “Usually you are at all the parties.”
I laughed; a slight bitter edge crept in, “Yeah, usually. But I’ve been grounded lately. This is actually my first night out in a month.”
“Wow,” Toby whistled, “That’s ages.”
I nodded and shoved my hands into my skirt pockets. I was feeling the cold now.
“Well let us know if you suddenly are able to go,” he smiled at me.
“OK,” I smiled back.
Sarah stomped on her cigarette and we all waited until Toby finished his. Then, the three of us walked back to the Graduation Hall.
“Hope to see you later,” Toby called out as I walked off to my table.