Letting Love Find a Way

Homecoming

I was back. I was getting my bags out of the trunk of the taxi that brought me back to my own house from the airport. My mom had been released from jail last week and has been attending AA meetings.

After getting my bags and paying the cab driver, I headed to the front door of my house and opened the door.

“Mom!” I called. “I’m home!”

My mom came into my view from the kitchen, smiling.

“Vanessa!” she exclaimed. She came over to me and gave me a hug. “I’m so glad you’re home.”

“Me too,” I said. “It’s definitely nice to be home.”

“Why don’t you go get unpacked,” my mom said. “Dinner’s almost done.”

“Ok,” I said. I headed to my room. I hadn’t been in there in forever. I was surprised how clean it was. Mom must have been cleaning the house.

I unpacked quickly then went back downstairs. I was surprised to hear my mom talking to someone. When I walked into the kitchen, Linda was sitting at the table talking to my mom.

“Hey Vanessa!” said Linda when she saw me. She got up from her seat and hugged me. “It’s so great to see you!”

“Same here,” I said, smiling.

“I hope you don’t mind,” my mom said. “But I invited Linda and Frank over for dinner.”

“I don’t mind,” I said, smiling.

Frank. I’m sure that right now you’re thinking I’m absolutely happy to see him. But guess what, I’m not. The whole time I was in Florida, he didn’t write, or call, or anything. Nothing. If he had called at least once I would have been fine.

My aunt is very strict and religious. I couldn’t go out with friends. Not that I had any. I couldn’t have a boyfriend. Not that I needed one. I had Frank, but my aunt didn’t know that. It was nice of my aunt to let me stay with her, but each day I stayed there, the more my wanting to go home increased.

I was interrupted from my thoughts by a knocking at the front door.

“Can you get that, Vanessa?” my mom asked.

“Yeah,” I said. I went to the front door and opened it.

“Frank,” I said, seeing the familiar face in front of me. He hadn’t changed at all.

“Vanessa,” he said. He didn’t even smile. I guess someone is just as unhappy to see me as much as I’m unhappy to see him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Woot! Sequel's up ; ) Feedback?
~Sally