Until the End

Deal.

The face that Hayden had made me want to roll on the floor crying from laughter. She reminded me of a fish gasping for breath. Her mouth fell open and her eyes wide, almost shooting out of her sockets. Her mouth opened and closed as she tried to think of something to say. After a moment or two Brian waved a hand in front of her face. “Hayden?”

This snapped the teen out of her trance. She shut her mouth quickly and stared at Matt with the same wide, green eyes that had refused to change in size. “Run that by me again.”

“We - ” I said, motioning the five of us. “Want to take you - ” I pointed at her. “On tour with us.” I began to play some invisible drums, head banging along with an imaginary beat. She just blinked at me as if I were speaking Italian. I tilted my head in reply. What was not totally clear about that?

“Why?” She finally choked out.

“Well…” I fell silent, not really sure of what my answer was. I just wanted her to come along. It felt…right.

“We read your letter,” Matt interjected. For once I was thankful he took over the situation. “And we just think, well, if you are going to pass in so many months then we wanted to give you one last big adventure.”

“Stealing my words,” Johnny muttered. Zacky kicked his shin which caused the shorter man to let out an ‘oof’. Hayden gave us a disbelieving look.

“You’re not even going to make sure I’m telling the truth?”

“It doesn’t seem like we need to, you seem honest. Is there a reason we should check?” Brian asked, kind of mockingly in a way. He was just playing along with her. We could all tell she was an honest girl, there was no reason for us to have to get a doctor note or whatever she thought seemed ’professional’.

Hayden shook her head, and when she stopped her face was red and she was nervously rubbing her neck. “No it’s just that I’m not so used to people just believing me. Most call me a liar.”

“Why would they do that?” Matt asked curiously.

“Because I still smoke and drink. My doc said that nothing I can do could possibly speed it up. Basically I’m kind of just acting like I’m not dying in a few months.” At the word ’dying’ everyone but Hayden let out a shudder. “Sorry.”

“It’s okay,” I reassured her. “So do you want to come on tour with us for a few months?”

“A few months?” Hayden echoed, switching between all of our faces. “I can’t. My jobs, and my apartment…”

“We talked to our manager. He’s willing to take you along with us and pay you for your time if you work as a drum tech and help the roadies. Our company will pay for your rent for while you’re with us. We can’t make any promises about your jobs though,” Matt explained. Suddenly Hayden’s eyes brimmed with tears. She let out a chocked laugh, wiping away her tears.

“I’m sorry, I just - ” I turned to my right and brought her into my chest. She froze up but quickly relaxed. The rest of the guys sent her worried glances. When she stopped crying and composed herself, she took herself out of my arms. I wasn’t sure why, but I wanted to protest. Instead I bit my tongue as she let out a soft chuckle. “Sorry I’m getting so worked up. I just never got this kind of kindness from anyone before.”

“Really?” Johnny asked in disbelief. When Hayden shook her head he blurted out, “Why the hell not?”

Zacky slapped his shoulder, glaring at the man next to him. “You don’t just ask people that kind of shit, God Johnny.”

“No, it’s fine. My mom and dad passed away when I was three. My aunt took me in for the pure fact no one else would. I was always seen as the black sheep of the family, even at such a young age. The only one who even liked me in that house was my baby cousin, he was pretty much my brother. But then when I turned eighteen they kicked me out of the house and moved back to Rome. I guess I was never good enough for them.”

At the end of her speech I felt for Hayden in an all new sense. She had never experienced a kind of love only a family could give. I probably wouldn’t be here today if I didn’t have the guys with me. Since I knew them since grade school it was like we were a close knit family.

“Well then Hayden, there is a slight change in our deal,” Matt said suddenly with a blank face. God I hated his poker face. Even with how long I had known Matt I could never read that face. Hence the reason my pockets were always emptied into his during poker games.

“Oh,” Hayden muttered, her eyes trailing to the table. I glared at Matt with the deadliest glare I could muster. I could not believe he was going back on this after a story like that. It was then that his face cracked and a dimple exaggerated smile took over his face.

“Whether you take this job or not, you will now and forever be part of the Avenged Sevenfold family. I would suggest you just take the job so we won’t have to kidnap you as loving family.” Hayden’s head snapped up, her green eyes wide again.

“F - family?” Hayden repeated, making sure she hadn’t misunderstood the singer.

“Fuck yeah!” Brian exclaimed, bringing her into a sideways hug. She blinked a few times before slowly nodding.

“I’ll do it.” A small smile was brought onto her face. All of us let out a cheer of excitement at her agreement. Suddenly Annie appeared out of nowhere with the drinks we had all ordered. I had actually forgotten about them with everything we were talking about. She quickly walked away without a word, a smile visible before she turned her back to us.

“I declare a toast!” I shouted, holding my milkshake above our heads. “To Hayden! Welcome to the family girly!”

After we all took a sip she turned to me with an amused smile. “Hey Jimmy?”

“Yeah?”

“Never call me girly or I will personally snap your legs and make sure you can never play drums again.” The twinkle in her eyes reminded me of a serial killer who had found his next kill. I chuckled nervously, nodding.

“I’ll keep that in mind.”

“In a completely unrelated term, can I do something I’ve always wanted to do?” I gave her a raised eyebrow look, but slowly nodded. She leaned up and over before licking my cheek. I let out a very unmanly squeal and wiped at my face.

“You always wanted to do that?” Matt asked, laughing along with the rest of the guys. Hayden shrugged as if it was no big deal.

“That’s how I let people know I accept them as a friend. Hey, you signed me up. You forgot to ask what odd antics I have. Which, by the way, I have no intention of changing.”

“I’m gunna like you a lot Hayden,” Brian laughed, patting her shoulder. She grinned.

“Glad to hear it.”

At that moment, in the back of my mind, I knew this crazy, short, strange girl had stolen a big part of my heart. And that could never possibly be a good thing.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank-you for commenting: KellShadows, Shankhill_Butcher, and missymalicious. Wow, I keep losing commenters. That's odd. Ah well. By the way, I changed the way Hayden looks a little. Look at the picture through the 'characters' button. Please comment :)<3