Status: In Progress

The Short Life of Calico Flynn

Streetlights

I had been silent since we had gotten in the car. I was so shy and awkward in the beginning. Every time I went to speak the words would snag in my throat like thorns. After staring at my shoes for what felt like centuries, I finally lifted my head.

"Thanks."

"For what?" The girl said, glancing at me and then back at the road. We pulled up to an intersection just as the light turned red. The air had cooled down and it drifted across my skin from the open window.

"For ya' know, helping me out back there." I said, offering a crooked smile.

The girl laughed. "No problem. You did look like a lost puppy or some shit." The light turned green and we took off again. Light from the streetlamps cascaded over the windshield and cast shadows over our faces. Turning down a quiet street we pulled up to a two story white house with a neat yard and plush rose bushes hugging the porch. My house. Puzzled, I looked at the girl, my eyes questioning and bright in the dim atmosphere of the car.

"Don't worry about it Calico. Now get out." She laughed, her tone warm and playful. I smiled shyly in return and when I was halfway up the porch steps she called out to me.

"I'm Sophie, by the way. See you around."

I waited until the break-lights of the car disappeared around the corner and the air was still once more. A gentle calmness had settled over me and I went inside, careful not to wake my parents. Once in my room I stripped off my jeans and sweater and climbed into bed. Light from the moon spilled through the window and splashed over my sheets, turning the fabric a cool milky hue.

As I drifted off to sleep, one word kept dancing behind my eyelids.

Sophie...