A Mess to Be Made

Built To Last

I powerwalked along the busy street, dodging everyone in order to make it to work on time. My pinkish pumps clicked along the sidewalk, and I made sure not to spill any of my coffee down the front of me. I shivered as a gust of wind blew down the alley I passed, and could finally see the front of Forever 21 in the distance. I quickened my pace, hearing the clock bells in the distance, and walked into the store right as they opened the doors for the general public.

“You’re late, Sadie,” my boss, Katrina said as I waltzed in.

“I know, I’m sorry. I couldn’t find my tights this morning,” I said motioning to my legs, “And I didn’t have time to shave them, so I practically ran here.”

“You’re lucky you’re one of the best we have on the team,” she said straightening a stack of shirts, “Now go put that stuff away and man your register.”

I nodded to her quickly, and walked to the backroom where I threw my purse into my locker and grabbed my lanyard out so I could put it on. I straightened out my chiffon heart shrug, and walked to my register where I put my coffee on the shelf underneath the register. I logged in, and checked my drawer, before waiting lamely for customers to come in.

The first half of my shift went quickly, and before I knew it, I was being sent on lunch, and heading to meet up with Katie at Subway. She was already sat at a table with our orders, and I smiled gratefully before sliding in across from her and smiling.

“Thanks for this Katie,” I said unwrapping my sandwich, “How’s work going today?”

“If I sell anymore love CD’s, I might barf,” she said biting her sandwich, “Seriously, I hate this fucking holiday. It’s pointless.”

“I love it,” I said with a smile, “I mean, I’m technically still single but I just love how happy the couples I see seem to be. Plus it gives me an excuse to wear this outfit.”

“Which would be overdone on most, but somehow you pull it off,” she said shaking her head, “So we still on for our romcom festival tonight?”

“I’ll get the cookie dough on the way home,” I said glancing at my phone, “And I better head back so I’m not late for the second time.”

“See you later queen of hearts,” she said after we had thrown our stuff away.

“See you ice queen,” I said causing her laugh as she walked in the direction of the record store.

I walked back to Forever 21 at a slow, but steady pace, not entirely wanting to finish up my shift. I felt my phone buzz right as I walked up to the store, and pulled it out to find a text from Brian. It was a Happy Valentine’s Day text, with a promise to call later, followed by a heart. I quickly replied before shoving the phone back into my purse, and walking to the employee room.

“Who got the roses?” I asked as I walked into the room and saw the large bouquet sitting in the middle of the solitary table.

“You did,” Alice said as she took another bite of her salad, “They got here about 5 minutes ago. I didn’t even know you had a boyfriend!”

“My ex and I got back together around Christmas time,” I said with a smile as I smelled the roses, “I mean, not officially, but we worked everything out. I can’t believe he sent these! He’s all the way in Arizona right now.”

“He must have it bad,” she said with a smile, “I saw a card in there, it probably fell down in there somewhere.”

I nodded, and sifted through the flowers looking for the small white envelope. I found it stuck between two rose stems, and pulled it out. It was a typed card, but the message caused me to smile.

Happy Valentines Day babe. I miss, and love you. Xoxo, Brian.

I bit my lip as I refolded the card into the envelope, and I slid it into my bag, before shoving it into my locker, and putting my lanyard back on. I smelled the flowers one final time, before walking back out the floor, and starting back to my boring job.

=======

I finished ringing up my final customer, and wished them a good day before beginning to count out my drawer. The task didn’t take me long, and once I was done, I took everything into the back, and gave Katrina the totals. She said that everything matched, and allowed me to leave a few minutes early. I thanked her almost excessively, and went into the employee room to grab all of my belongings. I grabbed everything, including my roses, and told everyone goodbye before starting my way out of the store.

I walked out, and stopped dead in my tracks. Standing against the opposite wall was Brian in nice jeans, a button down shirt and holding a rose in front of him. I ran at him, and jumped into his arms with the biggest smile on my face. He picked me up off the ground, and twirled me causing me to laugh against his neck. He set me down, with his arms still around me, and planted a kiss directly on my lips. I kissed back, loving the familiarity, and let out a content sigh when we separated.

“What are you doing here? You’re supposed to be writing in Arizona,” I said as he passed me the rose in his hand, “And 13 roses? Isn’t that bad luck in a way?”

“There’s only 11 in the bouquet, I wanted to finish the dozen personally,” he said with a coy shrug and smile, “And I couldn’t be away from my beautiful girlfriend on a holiday like this. Now let’s take all of your stuff home, we have reservations at Maggiano’s at 5:30.”

I smiled excitedly, and grabbed his hand, before leading the way to my apartment. We were mainly silent on the short walk, enjoying each other’s company, and I couldn’t help but to feel butterflies every time I would sneak a glance at Brian.

“What are you so smiley about?” Brian asked as he held the door to my building open.

“Just about how lucky I am,” I said pushing the button on the elevator, “You made my day, thank you.”

“Anything for you, babe,” he said kissing my cheek softly, “I’ll let you go freshen up and I’ll put these in fresh water when we get to your unit.”

“Okay, I think I’m going to change. I overdid it with hearts today,” I said laughing and fishing for my keys in my purse, “I’ll be quick though, promise!”

He just nodded, and we walked down the hall to my door. I unlocked it, and once inside we headed our separate ways. Brian walked into the kitchen with my flowers, and I hopped out of my pumps and jogged slowly to my room. I slid the zipper on my dress down as I walked into my closet, and tossed my dress into the hamper I had by the door. My tights were next, and I pulled a pair of jeans from my shelf and slid them on as fast as humanly possible. I pulled on a simple, tight, black tunic and smoothed it out before heading into my bathroom to touch my hair and makeup up.

“Want to pick me a necklace out to wear Bee?” I asked as I heard Brians feet against the hardwood floor.

“Sure thing,” he said before I heard him moving the necklaces on my holder, “Found one, want me to bring it in?”

“That’d be lovely,” I said spraying my hair with a bit more hairspray to keep the curls in, “Which one did you pick?”

“Just this one,” he said holding the heart necklace out I had given him the last time he was in Denver, “I got a new chain for it a while ago, and wanted you to have it again.”

“Brian, just, wow,” I said as he moved my hair so he could put the necklace on me, “Thank you so much. I’m at a loss for words right now.”

“I think the words, I love you are the right words I’m thinking of,” he said kissing the nape of my neck.

“I love you too,” I said biting my lip hoping to ignore the butterflies in my stomach, “Now let’s go eat, I’m starved.”

Brian smiled, and lead me out of the bathroom, before pulling my white peacoat off of it’s hook, and helping me slide it on. I smiled at his chivalry, and the pair of us made our way out of the apartment, and towards one of my favorite Italian restaurants.
=====

“Thank you for dinner babe, it was marvelous,” I said kissing Brian’s cheek as we walked down the street.

“Only the best for you,” he said putting his arm around my shoulder and pulling me closely into his side.

“So where are you staying tonight?” I asked as we dodged a puddle on the street.

“I planned on the apartment, if that’s okay,” he said looking at me with puppy dog eyes.

“Only if you sleep in my bed,” I said raising my eyebrows at him.

“Ow ow Sadie, feisty tonight, aren’t we?” he said causing me to blush.

“It’s been a while, a girl has needs!” I said causing him to laugh, as well as myself.

“You don’t have to ask me twice,” he said as we got to my building.

“Good thing then,” I said walking slightly in front of him and swaying my hips.

His hands found their way to my hips, and he guided me to the elevator. Since we were the only two in the small compartment, I pushed him against the wall, and attached my lips to his eagerly. He still kept his hands on my hips, and slowly moved them down to my behind. The stopping of the elevator caused us to separate, and I shot him a devious smile as I lead him down the hall.

“Way to ditch me, you bitch,” I heard as soon as I opened the door.

“Katie, oh my god, I’m so sorry. I totally forgot! I was so caught up with the fact that Brian was here and—“
“Chill dude, I helped him,” she said cutting me off mid rant, “I gave him your schedule and picked him up from the airport.”

“You’re the best,” I said giving her a quick hug, “Now if you excuse us, we’re heading to bed. We’re absolutely exhausted.”

“Yep, I’m sure,” she said turning towards the TV and turning the volume up extremely loud.

I laughed, and relaced my hand in Brian’s and lead him towards my room. He closed the door, and locked it, before grabbing me and pressing my lips onto mine. I eagerly returned it, and we walked towards the bed before falling onto it with a small thud. Our clothes were on the floor in a matter of minutes, and I lost myself in a feeling I had been missing for almost 2 years.