Status: Please Comment

The Mistake

The Mistake

I guess I’ve done all I can, Dylan thought as he sat in the waiting area in the maternity ward of the hospital. Maybe I did a little more than I should have done, he groaned and placed his face in his hands thinking of the biggest mistake he ever made. Down the hall in room 137A the love of his life was about to give birth to his child, his child, without warning God was going to present him a baby. A small dinky little thing with his blood running his or her veins and it overwhelmed him enough that he felt his stomach doing flips. Naturally a person would be excited to be having a baby, but there was one problem, one road block on his road to happiness.

“Dylan,” a husky voice called his name while a hand plopped on his shoulder. Looking up an elderly man with salt and pepper hair peered down at him with his eyes smiling. “You okay there son?”

“Yeah, dad, I’m fine.” Dylan said raking his hand through his messy brown hair.

“You better be,” he laughed taking the seat next to his son, “It’s not every day I become a grandpa, you know? I need someone with me to keep me from having a heart attack with all this excitement going on.” He laughed again, a hearty wholesome laugh that took Dylan back to when he was a kid. To when his mother was still around with her smile that seem to always take away the day’s disappointments. Back then she always seemed to have an answer to everything, like the reason why it was raining was because the angels were sad. Then at other times she would say there was nothing he could do that would make her mad enough that she would stop loving him. “Oh look!” Dylan’s dad said, “Here comes your brother.”

A man with a short brown hair, broad shoulders, and stubble that looked slightly older, and taller than Dylan stood in front of the two smiling, “They say Melissa is about to go into labor.” His voice made Dylan stomach do more flips, “They’re about to move her to a different room for more privacy. So if you would follow me.” He held his arm out and Dylan’s dad took it trying to stand up with the help of his cane.

“I can’t believe I’m about to become a grandpa in mere hours.” His voice was full of smiles.

“I know I can’t believe it either.” Dylan’s brother said as he trailed behind the two.

“Charlie, this must be one of the happiest days of my life.”

“Hold onto that and you can say it again when the baby is born, okay.” Charlie said. The baby, the baby is going to be born today.

“I know you’re going to be a great father, Charlie.” Yes, that right, I got my sister-in-law pregnant and my brother doesn’t even know, Dylan felt his stomach drop when he caught a glimpse of Charlie’s smiling face. He seemed to be glowing; the face of a father to be, Dylan thought to himself as he stuck his hands in his pockets. Walking with his dad and brother to where Melissa was going to be Dylan thought if this was right. If it was right to be there with his brother when in actuality it was his child being born, not Charlie’s. Would it be wrong to tell him his mistake? Would Charlie abandon the baby if he found out it wasn’t his? How would Melissa feel if Charlie confronted her knowing I broke our promise? Dylan’s head was full of these questions and more when he finally bumped into a cart. Scrambling to pick everything up that fell Charlie turned and looked at his little brother.

“Calm down, Dylan. It’s not like you’re becoming the dad today.” Charlie said and Dylan froze on the spot feeling his heart beat like a humming bird’s. Somehow managing a smile Dylan laughed the comment off and placed the last of the fallen items on the cart. Trying to calm his nerves Dylan joined his brother and Dad for the rest of the walk to the elevator.

“So what are you hoping for? A boy? or a girl?” Dylan asked trying to have a natural conversation.

“I really couldn’t care less. I’m just happy.”

“You’re not with your wife, Charlie.” Their dad chimed in, “You can say that you’re hoping for a boy.”

“A boy would be nice. We could play catch and I could teach him all I know about cars.”

“But what about a girl? What would you do then?” Dylan asked as they stepped into the elevator and pressed the button for the fifth floor.

“I’d never let her out of the house.” The three men laughed as the doors opened and they stepped into the hall. “Seriously if I have a girl I’m definitely teaching her kick boxing. Maybe some karate too.” He trailed off in thought, “You know what kind of boys are out there. None of them can keep their dirty little hands away from girls.”

“Just like how you were, Dylan.” Their dad joked and Dylan made a nervous laugh. I’m still that way, he thought with a grimace.

Making their way to the overnight waiting room complete with a TV and computer, Dylan could hear women screaming from their rooms. Dylan cringed and Charlie smiled at his reaction, “That will be Melissa soon with her, “It’s all your fault!’ and ‘you did this to me!’ cries.” Charlie told Dylan who knew exactly who those cries were really meant for.

“Mr. Robinson!” a nurse yelled as she came running toward Charlie. She stopped only a few feet him looking exhausted trying to catch her breath, “Your wife is about to give birth.” Without saying a word Charlie quickly handed his dad over to Dylan and followed the nurse to where Melissa was. Dylan stared after them secretly wishing that he could be his brother and run to Melissa’s side, but sadly that was something that he knew that would never happen. Carefully taking his dad to the waiting room and gently helping him sit down Dylan let out a long sigh.

“What’s got you so riled up today, Dill?” his dad asked.

“I don’t know,” Dylan took the seat across from his dad, “maybe the thought of becoming an uncle is finally hitting me.” Actually it’s the thought of becoming a father, but he knew he wouldn’t be able to tell his dad that.

“The pressure of becoming an important person to such a small one is hard to swallow isn’t it?” he asked like the wise person he is and Dylan could only nod in agreement. Time seemed to creep by slowly as the two waited, well as Dylan waited since his father fell asleep in his seat. All the while Dylan could only think of what kind of person would he be to the child. Would he only act like an uncle or could he also act like a father even though his brother is already there. Would Melissa not allow him to see their child? No, Dylan thought, she isn’t cold like that. Trying to divert his attention to the TV he felt a hand touch his shoulder and Dylan jumped from his seat.

“Oh,” the nurse that startled him said, “I’m sorry, but are you Dylan Robinson?”

“Yes.”

“You can go see your brother now. He’s in room 404B.” Then she walked away leaving him to wake his dad.

“Hey, dad, wake up.” Dylan said slightly poking his dad’s face as his eyelids started to open. “Hey I got some bad news for you.” His dad’s eyes flew open in alarm at the word bad.

“What? What’s the bad news?” he asked frantically.

‘You’re officially an old man, pops.” Dylan smiled and held his hand out, “Now let’s go see the little one.” His dad stood up and they walked to the room where Charlie and Melissa were at with nurses walking in and out. Once they entered the room Dylan saw Melissa holding a baby in a pink blanket as Melissa’s blonde hair clung to her sweaty happy face. While she held the baby Charlie just gazed at the two of them at the side of the bed like a proud father he became. Quickening his pace Dylan’s dad let go of Dylan’s arm and rushed as fast as he could to the bedside where Charlie was.

“Congratulations!” he said giving Charlie a hug, “You’re officially a father.”

“Thanks dad.” He hugged him back before letting him go.

“So I’m now a grandpa of a little girl.” He said eyeing the pink blanket.

“Yup,” Charlie said.

“May I hold her?”

“Of course,” Melissa handed him the baby and his face lit up like the fourth of July. Dylan watched as his father held the baby when he noticed Melissa looking at him from the bed. Suddenly he felt frozen on the spot not knowing whether to enter the room or walk away when she smiled at him. “Come in, Dylan.” She said warmly and he walked over to where she was and sat in the chair next to her.

“So, it’s a girl, huh.” Was all he could manage to say.

“Yes and she is adorable.” His father boosted, “Just look at you,” he said to the baby, “If I could just steal you away, I would.”

“Would you like to hold the baby, Dylan?” Melissa asked him, but before he could respond his father handed him the baby. The baby felt as if it weighed like nothing in his arms and she looked so much like Melissa to him. Her nose and mouth were just like her and her little mat of brown hair was like his own. Luckily Dylan and Charlie have the same hair color along with other similar features so it wouldn’t be surprising if the baby looked a little like him. Suddenly wondering if she was as soft as she looked, Dylan touched her little cheek when the baby’s tiny hand suddenly grasped his huge finger. It was then that a surge of electricity shot through him and he knew this was his child, that the tiny baby girl was his flesh and blood. That the feeling of wanting to be by her side and protect her was his fatherly feelings surfacing from within him. Even if he could only been seen as an uncle through her eyes, maybe he would be there for her like a father when his brother couldn’t.

“What did you name her?” his father asked Charlie and Melissa.

“We named her Lillian, dad, after mom.”

His dad’s face softened and a smile broke across his face, “She would be proud of you Charlie.”

Lillian, the name echoed around in his head, mom would have loved a child to be named after her. “Dylan,” his brother’s voice broke through his thoughts, “We were wondering if you’d like to be her godfather.” Father, the word called out to him like nothing he ever knew before in his life. If this was the only way he could be a father to little Lillian he knew better than to refuse it. He could feel the little one breathe in his arms and for the first time that day Dylan smiled happily at the so called mistake he made. Then again maybe she wasn’t a mistake; Dylan thought as he gazed at Lillian who was sleeping soundly, every little soft feature about her was perfect.

Dylan looked at his brother still wearing his smile, “Sure, I’d love to be her godfather.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So I don't know if I should continue with this and jump like some years later to when she's older? or just leave it like it is as a short story?

Please comment! ^_^