My Brother's Best Friend

Four

Seven o’clock rolled around too early for Andrea’s liking. In fact, she grumbled to herself as she walked into the bathroom and took a shower. Once she was ready she went downstairs to eat breakfast. Suzy had made breakfast for Andrea, Brian, and Matt. Andrea pulled out a plate and loaded it with scrambled eggs and bacon. When she turned around she almost choked on her spit.

“Jesus guys, how much food do you need?!” She asked completely appalled. They shrugged and continued eating. With a roll of her eyes, she started eating her own food.

“So have you heard from Juilliard at all?” Matt asked Andrea. She bit her lip and shook her head no. He looked at her confused.

“What do you think the chances of you getting in are?” Brian asked obviously not considering his sisters feelings. She sighed and rubbed her hand across her forehead.

“I don’t know, Brian. There are thousands of people out there who want this spot just as much as I do and who are ten times better than me! So I don’t know Brian, you tell me!” She yelled throwing her plate into the sink. The glass shattered and her parents ran down the stairs.

“Is everybody okay?!” Suzy shrieked and Andrea glared at her brother.

“Ask your fucking son.” She seethed and grabbed her bag walking out of the front door. She took a deep breath of the early morning air to calm her nerves. She heard the front door open but she ignored it until someone touched her shoulder. She jumped but relaxed when she saw it was Matt.

“Are you okay?” He asked with a sympathetic smile. Andrea sighed and nodded sucking her lip ring into her mouth. She knew that she shouldn’t have snapped at Brian but he knew how on edge she was and shouldn’t have even said anything. Brian walked out of his front door looking guilty. Andrea just walked around to the passenger side of the car and got in. Brian got in the driver’s seat and Matt got in the back.

“I cannot wait to get my own car.” Andrea mumbled to herself but Brian heard her.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” He snapped and Matt sighed rolling his eyes. He knew what was coming next; he had been waiting on it since he went to bed the night before.

“It means that I’m tired of riding with your dumbass!” She snapped. And there it is, exactly what Matt had been expecting. Brian took his hands off the wheel.

“Then get the fuck out of my car and walk your spoiled ass to school!” He yelled causing Andrea to jump. Normally she would have surrendered but Brian had done more than enough to piss her off that morning. Something in Matt snapped and he leaned forward.

“Both of you just need to shut the fuck up! Andrea, yes you do need your own car because your brothers an ass. And Brian, she just got back from Italy a few days ago and you’re already treating her like shit? That’s ridiculous. Let’s just calm down and get to the fucking school already.” Matt said throwing himself back on the seat. Brian sighed and started up the car. What a fantastic way to start off the new school year. Andrea frowned and leaned her head against her window.

“Why were you so mad about what I said in the kitchen?” Brian asked and Matt groaned, mentally cursing his best friend for even bringing it up again. Andrea was hot-headed and didn’t forgive easily so provoking her more was like signing your own death certificate.

“You don’t get it do you? I’ve been under so much pressure with this Juilliard thing and it’s making me want to pull my hair out. The chances of me getting in are slim to nothing. You could have worded that question differently. You made it sound like I have no chance of getting in.” She said surprisingly calm. Brian smirked and looked in the rearview mirror at Matt.

“I don’t know, Matt, what do you think?” He asked and Matt forced a smile.

“I think she’s got a shot. She definitely has what it takes.” He admitted. Truth was, he didn’t want Andrea to go far away to New York. He didn’t know why but he felt like he wouldn’t be complete with her around. He wasn’t going to be selfish though and tell her that he wanted her to follow her dream like he and the guys were doing. He smiled at the memories of him teaching Andrea how to play the guitar and the piano. He was the reason that she decided to go to Juilliard and he was almost mentally kicking himself in the ass as he remembered this.

When they pulled into the school parking lot, Andrea sighed. This was their senior year and they were going to make the most of it. They got out of the car and approached the hell hole they called school.

“Andy!” Jimmy yelled running up and giving her the biggest hug he could muster. Andrea laughed at the nickname and hugged back.

“I’ve been waiting to say this for a while, you guys suck!” Johnny whined and Andrea raised her eyebrows.

“How?” She questioned fighting off the laugh that was begging to burst from her throat.

“Because, you guys graduate this year and I have to wait another three years!” He yelled and everyone laughed. ‘Andy’ shrugged her shoulders and said

“Well, it’s not us who suck, it’s your moms. Blame her for having you later than us.” Johnny laughed and nodded.

“Yeah, I guess that’s true.”

They spent a good five minutes talking in front of the school and Andy was starting to feel good again until bitch face just had to come and ruin it.

“Mattie, I missed you!” Val’s shrill voice sent an unpleasant shiver down Andy’s spine. Val threw a glare in Andy’s direction and Andy just raised an eyebrow.

“What is she doing here?” She demanded from Matt who just gave her an ‘are you stupid’ look. Brian, finally getting tired of how Val treated his baby sister, spoke up.

“Val, that’s my sister. She can be here if she wants.” Andy put a hand on her brother’s shoulder and stood up.

“No, Brian, it’s okay. I got it. Alright Val, you got something to say to me? Because I promise you now, you say something and I will drop kick your ass. And guess what, Matt won’t hold me back this time. As for acting like you missed him, back the fuck up. You know that shit isn’t true. If you think you’re going to be with him forever then you better hit the pause button and check yourself because honey, you’re just a phase. I know Matt; he’ll get tired of you.” When she finished, Val was still glaring daggers at Andy put she just stared right back.

Matt swore under his breath knowing that he was going to be getting an earful from Val later but on the upside, he was glad that Andrea was standing up for herself. He felt proud and adoration radiated off of him. He mentally slapped himself knowing that he couldn’t have Andrea, for obvious reasons.

“Whatever, Michelle let’s go.” Val said to her sister but Michelle shook her head no.

“Val, I’m staying with my boyfriend.” She said referring to Brian. Val just rolled her eyes and walked off. It was a mystery to her how her twin sister could date Andrea’s brother.

Andrea sighed and shook her head.

“You know, this is all fucking bullshit. I could be doing so many other…better things.” She said rubbing her temples. Matt smiled to himself as he realized how much she looked like her dad. Andrea was from her biological mom’s very first marriage. Brian Sr was Andrea’s step dad from the very beginning but she felt like he was her daddy.

“Yeah well, let’s just get the day over with.” Zacky said and they all walked into Huntington High School.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comments?