Tired n' Lonely

12

We sat around the dining table, me and Joey on one side, my children on the other. It was as if there was some sort of trial going on. Unfortunately I had no clue whether I was the juror or the accused.
My daughter spoke out: “I don't care.”
I should probably explain that we had just asked my kids what they thought about relocation to Iowa.
“You don't care?”
“I'm going to college in a few months, what does it matter to me where you move to?”
I had thought she would be excited about the prospect of moving to Slipknot's home town. I guess knowing Joey wouldn't seem so special to her any more, if she lived there.
“Craig?”
“I'm with Jade on this one. I couldn't care less about your stupid mid life crisis. It's not like I'll be staying at home much longer anyway.”
“Mid life crisis? Wait a minute, young man, what the hell makes you think this is a mid life crisis?”
“They fact it blatantly is?”
“I am hardly middle aged, Mr. And besides, I think it would do all of us the world of good to move away from here.”
“Why, so you can completely forget dad and move on as if he never even existed? You're kidding yourself mom. You think your rockstar boyfriend is gonna give a fuck about you six months down the line? He's forgotten about you how many times in the past few years? I'm just glad I'm going to college in a few months so I don't have to deal with you whining about your love life anymore.”
“Your mother is never going to forget your dad, Jade. But it's been nearly 2 decades since he died – what do you expect her to do? And as for forgetting her... that's really not what happened. When we split up we stayed friends, didn't we?”
“Oh yeah... you've been such a great friend to her the past couple of years.”
“You wouldn't understand what...”
“...I wouldn't understand? I understand that my mother was crazy for you and you fucked of with some woman who treated you like crap. How they hell do you think that made her feel? That she wasn't even as good as some second rate whore.”
“Jade, that's enough.” I interjected. Her words were hurting us both, and I didn't want her to carry on any longer. The damage had been done anyway. The argument wasn't about my kids not wanting to move any more. She got up and left, with my son following closely behind her.
“Is that really how you felt, Nicky?” He sounded rather hurt.
“No...maybe... I don't know... I always loved you as a friend, of course. I wasn't hurt because you didn't want me...I don't even know why I was hurt. I guess it felt like you didn't need me any more.”
“ I'm so sorry. I wish I could change the past two years. But I can't... I just hope some of my other friends will be able to forgive me the way you have.”
“Joey, all has been forgiven just... don't talk about that again, OK? It was upsetting the way you were, for us to watch. God only knows how you must have been feeling yourself.”
“ I guess this talk didn't quite go to plan, eh?”
“I guess so.” I sighed. I wanted more than anything to move to Iowa with him, but it was looking like my kids were still going to make that impossible for me.
I made a pot of coffee and we remained sat in the kitchen in silence for a while, until Jade decided she was gong to come back downstairs.
She stood across the table from Joey, and leaned down on the edge of it, so she her face was level with his.
“I'm warning you... if you hurt my mom again I will never, ever forgive you.”
“Jade I won't do that again I...”
“... I don't mean pissing her off by ignoring her for some other woman. I don't mean jetting off around the world and forgetting to call her every now and again. I mean REALLY hurting her. The way He did.” I looked nervously at the floor, trying to pretend I was anywhere but here, “she may have loved him but he hurt her more than anyone and if you hurt her the way He did... you will not live to regret it.”
♠ ♠ ♠
It's so short. And not so good. But yeah... seeing murderdolls 4 times this week, starting tomorrow YAY!