Tired n' Lonely

13

The dulcet and melodic tone of Fleetwood Mac's “Rhiannon” drifted in and out of focus as I slowly awoke. If this was still on it meant one of two things. Joey always listened to this before sleep, and I had either awoken after only an hour or two, or he had gone to bed very late. My eyes began to focus on the harsh red LED lights of the alarm clock next to my bed.
3:29 .
“Joey?” I asked, sleepily, as I scanned around the room for the reason I had awoken. He was not beside me. Curious as to his where abouts I sat up, sinking my feet into the soft carpet beside my bed.
I stretched as I stood up and slipped on a velvet dressing gown which was strewn over the end of the bed.
“Joey?” I called out, a little louder this time, but still in the hushed tones of some one all to aware of the ungodly hour.
I opened the bedroom door, peering out down the coridoor into darkness. And nothing. There was no one there.
My heart raced a little as I heard a noise down stairs, but I realised that Joey must have gone own to get a drink or something and so slipped sleepily back in to bed.

“Veronica.”

My eye shot open. He didn't call me that. Ever.

“Joey?”

He was stood next to the bed.

“I have to go.”

“Now?” I yawned lazily. “Where to?”

“Iowa.”

“What do you mean, what's happened?”

“I've just had a phone call from the police. No one will tell me what has happened and I can't get through to anyone and Corey just yelled at me for ten minutes flat and I think they're all keeping something from me and...”

“Calm down.” I said, interrupting his rushed and concerned speech. “I'm sure it's nothing. Besides they can't expect you to go back right this instant. Can't it wait til the morning?”

“Apparantly not.” He said, as his cell phone began to bleep and flash incessantly. He took the call, excusing himself from the room and speaking in a hushed tone in the hallway.
He returned looking ashen and with tears in his eyes.

“Joey? What's happened?” I was worried. My own heart began to race as the possibilities ran through my head.

“I have to go. Paul has died.”
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry this is so short.