Tired n' Lonely

19

I sighed, pushing the door to the shop open gingerly as I walked in with Joey close behind me. It was a mess. The same kids who had started the fire which killed my children had smasked the windows in afte rthey started the fire. The metal grate which covered the windows had stopped them getting in and stealing anything but the damage was still a problem, adding insult to injury.
I swept a puddle of broken glass to one side with my feet as I head for the back of the store.
Everything had been left perfectly for the next days work - A day they would never see.
I sank down on the floor behind the cash register and felt myself desperately trying not to cry.
Joey was checking the place out, incase anything had been taken or moved, but it seemed as though the police had left it as it was after checking the place for any evidence. The tapes from the CCTV camera were gone, but that was pretty much it.
He went out to the back of the shop and left me alone for a short while before coming back up with a folded sheet of paper. "Your kids left this on the wall for you." he said, the quietest I had ever heard him. He placed the paper on my lap an I opened it, slowly, staring at the words instead of reading them. It was Jades writing - "We love you, mom" with a heart scrawled at the bottom of the page with some gothic twirls around it. In Craig's writing beneath this was "p.s we nicked some of your beer."
I folded it back up and walked through to the back, putting it down on the upturned beer crate which still served as a table.
I sank down on the old couch beginning to shiver in the breeze created by the broken windows. Joey picked up a box from the floor and collapsed it. "Here, we can at least cover the windows with this."
I stayed rooted to the spot but he left and came back a couple of minutes later to ask me if I had any tape around.
"It's on the counter." I mumbled, laying down on the couch and curling up.
He came back through a while later and sat at the edge of the couch by my feet.
"I've sorted the windows," he said, pausing a second, before carrying on, "where is there to stay around here?"
"Here."
"Nicky we can't stay here, it'll be freezing even with the windows sorted. Besides... you told me that lingering around things which remind you of people who have died isn't going to change anything - you can stay somewhere else without forgetting them."
He was right. I sighed, picking up the note that my babies had written before they were killed.
" There's a couple of motels around here, I think. It's not the best area, so I won't be surprised if they offer us the room for an hour before they realize we actually want to use it to sleep in."
"I'm not having you stay somewhere like that, Veronica. You need somewhere where you can relax in a bath without being stared at by rats and cockroaches."
I smiled, wryly , "you're the best."
"So, where are we staying? Best place money can buy round here."
"In Boston? You wanna rethink that statement."
He raised an eyebrow at me "you seem to be forgetting that you are talking to Mr. Rockstar. I do splash my cash ocassionally you know, and this is an idea time. Don't force me to google somewhere, I'll pick the most expensive place I can."
"OK, OK... Hotel Commonwealth, it's in the theatre district, it's big, it's posh and it's not going to have any cockroaches in the bathroom, I promise you."
He smiled "brilliant. I'll hail us a cab, grab your stuff."
♠ ♠ ♠
So sorry guys but my medication is making me really tired. I'm sleeping on average 19 hours a day at the moment and I need to live my life in the hours I'm awake so I haven't had much time for writing =[
I know it's short but I didn't want to leave everyone waiting for ages like I did before, so I will try and work on short chapters and put them out often as I can't do long ones very well at the moment.