Tired n' Lonely

8

My eyes fluttered open to the sound of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre opening credits.
“Oh shit... I didn't mean to wake you, I'm so sorry...”
“It's OK, Joey.” I said, rubbing my eyes as I sat up, “what time is it?”
“Half eleven.”
“That's all?”
“I'm afraid so. I guess I wore you out.”
I blushed, violently. “It's been a while...”
“Well, you're up now, at least. Gonna watch this with me?”
“Sure you don't mind staying in watching films, yet again?”
“It's worth it when I'm spending time with you, Nicky. I couldn't care less what we do as long as we're together when we're doing it.”
I blushed, “That's sweet of you.”
“Maybe you're starting to see just how much I like you, then?”
“This is still going to be hard you know.”
“I know, I'm not naïve. I just … really think you're worth it. And I hope you feel the same about me.”
I definitely did. And by letting go of the past to be with him, I realised that it was time to let go of the past in other areas of my life, too.
“So... lets just say that I did, hypothetically speaking, decide to take you out tonight.... hypothetically.... would you mind if I changed my mind after we got there?”
“Of course not. I can't imagine how hard it must be for you when you're reminded of your husband, Nicky.”
“Well... I'm with you now, not him. I shouldn't let my past drag me down now, should I?”
“You are so not as comfortable with this as you're making out.”
“Come on... if we don't leave now we never will.” I said, standing abruptly up.
“So where are we going?”
“Well... my house, first.” I said, a little shy about taking him there. What would he think of me when he saw it? A big old house which had been in my family for years. Tidy, but cluttered with children's stuff. Decorated like any normal suburban home, but with big old film posters framed and hung all over the walls – The Thing, Bride of Frankenstein, Creature from the Black Lagoon....
It was 1997 – my choice of décor wasn't enough to brand me a complete social outcast, but it did stand out locally.
He stood in the hallway transfixed by the poster when we first got there, before suddenly asking “Hey, you got a CD player here?”
“Sure... through here.” I said, taking him through into my living room.
“I think you might like this band... I hope so anyway, I'm working with the lead singer on something kinda cool...” He pulled a CD out of his bag as I went through to the kitchen, calling though to him “you want a drink?”
“No, it's OK.” he said, as the first notes of “Blood, feathers, Lipstick” rang out through my house.
I listened intently to the first few tracks... I hadn't heard anything like this before...
“I Dismember Mama?” I asked as I came back into the living room with a dress draped over my arm and a cup of tea in my hand.
“Uhuh.”
“Like the film?”
“Of course”
“I like this band already. Who is it?”
“They'e called the Frankenstein Drag Queens From Planet 13.”
“Very... camp.”
“Oh hell yeah... you should see what they're like on stage.”
“Can I ask how you found out about them?”
“I've been friends with the vocalist for a while.”
“They're from Iowa?”
“No... North Carolina.”
“You sure as hell get around Mr. Rockstar.”
“Well, so far I've found you and this band, so it's certainly a productive habit.”
“It certainly is.”
“So, where are you taking me?”
“I don't really want to go out any more, I want to listen to this. Have they got any more albums?”
“Not yet, but they're working on one.. “Night of the Living Drag Queens.” It should be out in a couple of months.”
I giggled. “I like their name.”
“I'll let you know if they ever play near here.”
“I probably won't be able to go, Joey. You know that.”
“Hey.... I'm Mr. Rockstar, remember. I might be able to persuade them to come over here for a weekend gig. Of course, the fact the vocalist works in K mart during the week may have a lot of influence on me being able to get that to happen.. possibly.”
“You would do that for me?”
“You like 'em don't you?”
“Well... that's an understatement.”
“Well then, I'm not having you miss out on seeing them. Besides, the bassist I auditioned from here is in our project, we could do with meeting up together at some point. Why not here?”
“Oh, thank you so much!” I said, throwing my arms around him enthusiastically.
“Now, are we going out or not?”
“You know... I'd rather stay here, I think. Besides, you seem too entranced by my film poster collection to want to leave.”
“Yeah... you may be right about that. I didn't realise anyone but me and Wednesday was this obsessed with camp B-Movies.”
“Wednesday?”
“This bloke.” He pointed at the sound system
“I think I'll get along with him then.”
“As long as you have no problems with gothic drag queens who have no problem with the fact they look nothing like an actual female.”
“Sounds kinda hot, actually.”
He blushed.
“Ohhhh... I think I just found out something about you I would NEVER have guessed.”
“Hey, don't you dare tell anyone!”
“You're not shy about it are you?”
“Noo... I just....oh shut up Nicky.”
“hahaha I just found something I can tease you for! I am not shutting up for a while Mrs. Rockstar.”
“Oh come on... you said it sounded kinda hot.”
“It does.”
“Maybe I'll dress up for you sometime then.”
“I'll hold you to that promise.”
“I never promised.”
“Oh come on... pretty please.”
“Alright. I promise.”
♠ ♠ ♠
mmmm... Joey and Wednesday are hot when they'e dressed up <3