Status: just a random story i did; hope you enjoy. (:

Opposites Always Attract

chapter four.

She watched the scenary quickly pass by as they drove down the highway. "So, did you have a good summer?" Her Mom asked, trying to make conversation. She sighed and looked down at her hands. "Yeah, I love it out here." She looked back out her window.

"Did you ask Nicholas when he's coming to visit you in the city?" She shook her head. "We talked about it a bit, but he's in school, Mom. We both are. We'll probably see each other at Christmas." Christmas, she thought, that seemed so far away...

"You should have him over for Thanksgiving dinner or something like that. I really want Ben to meet Nick." She smiled at her, and Selena faked a smile. She couldn't stand Ben, her mother's boyfriend of a year.

She closed her eyes, and all her head could possibly think about was all the things her and Nick did this summer; late night swimming trips in the ocean, eating ice cream on the boardwalk, going shopping in town, their movie nights? Last summer with him was great, but every year it got harder to say goodbye.

She put her earphones in her ears and closed her eyes, beginning to drift away with the music playing.

somewhere in california...

He sat out by the beach, nothing but a pad of paper, a pen, and his guitar. He sighed and scratched out the line he had just written. "I'm never gonna make this work..." He grumbled, frustrated, as he ran his fingers through his hair.

The summer breeze blew through the California palm trees gently, and he watched as a couple about his age, holding hands on the pier not too far away. He smiled for a quick moment, remembering all the time Selena and him had done the same thing.

But the thought quickly left his head. Whenever he thought of Selena, he only thought about her face, watching him as she drove away, tears streaming down her face. He sighed, shaking the thought out of his head.

He began to strum away and began to sing along.

The problems that have come,
haven't yet torn us down.
Am I keeping you awake?
If I am then just say.


He sighed again, placing the guitar back down beside him. He shoved his small notepook into his back pocket along with the pencil, and he picked his guitar up. He headed towards the shoreline, and waked along it, looking up at the stars in the sky.

He smiled, remembering how much she loved the stars; the sparkle of them reminded him of her beautiful brown eyes, the way the sun always caught them. He groaned, flopping down on the wet sand. He closed his eyes and began to pray for a miracle of some sort; something that would bring them back together.

***

"Selena, sweetheart, we're back in New York." The words echoed throughout her brain, giving her a big headache. She groaned, gently massaging her temples. She sat up and realized the car was already parked in front of their apartment. She smiled a little; she did miss the apartment a little.

She threw her purse over her shoulder, and rolled her luggage bag along behind her. She opened the front door and sighed. She stretched out her back a little bit; it was achey from the trip up here.

"Darling, when you finish unpacking, your Daddy told me he wanted to speak to you over the phone?" She said with an annoyed sigh. Her parents had been divorced since she was eight years old. She nodded and ran up the small spiral staircase up to her room.

She threw her bags onto her bed and immediatly ran over to her computer desk, logging onto her email account to see if Nick had sent her anything yet. And not suprising, he had. She smiled and clicked on the email, titled, 'Welcome Home Beautiful.'

Her eyes quickly read the text,

Selena, when you read this, you'll most likely be in New York. So, I just wanted to welcome you home. It's already been 8 hours since I've seen your beautiful face, and let me tell you, it hasn't been easy. I'm trying to finish the song we started at the beginning of the summer, but it's a lot harder without your help. Anyways, I hope you settle in well; I'm counting down the days until I see you again.
Love always, Nick.


Her eyes watered with tears. She read that in her head, imagining his voice the entire time. She sighed and saved the email to her favourites, then signing out. "Selena, darling, someone's here to see you!" She furrowed her eyebrows together. Who could it be?

She ran downstairs as fast as she could, and screamed when she saw her best friend, Demi, standing in her living room. "Demi!" She squealed, hugging her tightly. She smiled. "Hey girl, I missed you. We have so much to catch up on." She grabbed her hand and Selena led her upstairs.

She closed her bedroom door and they sat on her bed together. "How was California?" Demi asked, with a big smile. "I bet it's even more glamourous the ssecond time around." Selena shrugged. "I could care less about all that stuff; Nick and I spent most of the summer out on the water." She smiled, remembering the smell of the salt water.

Demi gasped, and started going through her clothes from her suitcase. "You didn't buy anything there?! No clothes at all?" She put her hand on her forehead. "Are you feeling alright?" She asked, jokingly. Selena laughed, taking Demi's hand off her forehead.

She shook her head. "Demi, this summer was by far the most amazing summer of my entire life." She smiled, closing her eyes. Demi looked at her and laughed. "You're gonna marry this 'Nick' guy, aren't you?" Selena smiled.

She told him about all the adventures her and Nick went on; from their scuba diving trip, to their midnight walks on the beach. "I'm in love, Demi. I've never felt this way about anyone else before, and I love it." She said, smiling.