Sequel: Simple Memory II

Simple Memory I

Stars

I was 3, I know it sounds stupid that I remember something at such a young age, but I remember me and my mom would sit at my bedroom window and look at the stars for ages. We’d make shapes out of them and when we saw a helicopter in the sky my mum would say.

“They are looking for a bad person who broke a star.”

I now know they are actually looking for bad people… or just generally on a testing flight.

But looking back when my mum had divorced my dad, the time we spent alone looking at the stars, I knew it would be a memory I would never forget.

I know one day I will be doing this with my own child. Looking out into the beautiful night sky, making shapes and just spending time together.

Because it’s the best thing in the world, just sitting, looking at the stars.

But now I’m 18, and growing up fast.

As I sit on my bed with a few tears of happiness role down my face.

I remember simple memories of my early childhood, some are sad, and some are happy. But this is one that I will always remember and will always cherish.

I told my mom about this memory the other night, though she doesn’t remember it very well. Though she does know we looked at the stars most nights.

Being the age I am I doubt my mom would want to look at the stars with me any more. She will always view me as the little girl I once was, but will treat me as an adult now that I am one.

I doubt my mom will ever read this, or even know I have.

Even though now we barely have a proper conversation, I always know that if I ever needed her she’d still be there. Waiting for me with open arms.

She’s my best friend.

She’s my adviser.

She’s my inspiration.

She’s my life.

But most of all, she’s the best mom in the entire world.

This is a story I believe to be true.

And always will.